Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Peterborough, and the post office distribution, collection and sorting offices close today until next Tuesday for a strike so they can winge about pay, conditions, services, having to actually work for a living!

They are whinging that they have to walk at 4mph to deliver there 4 hour round. 4 hours of work, a day! I am gutted for them.

I had the misfortune to work for the post office in parcel force for a while as a student some years ago. They enjoyed a free canteen, long breaks and I joke you not when I worked there they got in agency staff to do the work while the Post Office people ate snacks and watched TV.

Fire them all the lazy, workshy, useless wastes of space.

We now get later deliveries and fewer deliveries.

PS I think the 4mph walk rate isn't accurate, my postman yesterday walked the full length of the houses on my estate by walking across flower beds from garden to garden instead of using the path! He squashed my pansies, useless [email protected]!

Fire them all and get some people in who can actually work for a living!

End of rant

Andy

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Post Offices were all closed today at lunchtime, something to do with "Wednesday". Lazy sods.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in Peterborough, and the post office distribution, collection and sorting offices close today until next Tuesday for a strike so they can winge about pay, conditions, services, having to actually work for a living!

They are whinging that they have to walk at 4mph to deliver there 4 hour round. 4 hours of work, a day! I am gutted for them.

Andy
There won't be much birthday money turning up in your cards!!:D

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
My posty gets away with doing so little work because he puts everybody elses mail in my mailbox so I have to give it out.

I wrote him a polite note on a letter and left it on the letter box and he just put it back inside my letter box,

Nugget

:rant:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The whole bloody thing needs privatising.

If they worked for a private sector employer, they wouldn't get way with doing naff all work and then going on strike to complain about doing naff all work.

High time they joined the real world.
Never happen Cloverleaf.

Private sector doesn't want the letters side of things. Just the parcel delivery side as it has been and will be a hugely expanding market due to internet shopping. You cannot make huge profits promising a delivery too every door, everyday with such places as remote as in Norfolk and many other places around Britain. Twice a day when I was there.
This wouldn't improve under privitisation. In fact the remotest places would get a delivery once a week.

Used to work for parcelforce and have two younger brothers that still do, that I got jobs there when the youngest Transport Manager in Britain many years ago. I worked hard to get there and I know both of my Brothers are as hard working as anyone. The older of the two delivers so much he earns a £1000 per week. Not too Shabby for a Postman/delivery driver, eh?

I wouldn't pretend to know though what their working conditions are like now exactly and suspect you dont either Mr Mac. All I do know is that many of the past practises, pay structure and cost cutting have been taken out on the "lazy" postman and pay rises for the upper management at the same time. I'm sure this is another one step to far by bonus led management type of disagreement and having been there myself in the past I cant say I blame them. Too many board members coming from across the civil service to know what it's like doing a job at ground level.

Glad their sick of it. Glad their saying enough is enough! If more people said enough is enough we might just do something about this country overpaying the few at the cost of the many.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
Our local posties were on strike last week - I fully support their action. In the interests of "efficiency"/ "rationalisation"/ "health & safety" (choose any one or more) our small local sorting office has been closed meaning considerably more vehicle mileage & a much worse service. The good news is we now get an afternoon delivery; the bad news is, it used to be the morning delivery.

"Lazy, workshy, useless wastes of space"? I think not - just a group of conscientious people who are frustrated at not being able to supply the service they have become accustomed to supplying.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't pretend to know though what their working conditions are like now exactly and suspect you dont either Mr Mac. All I do know is that many of the past practises, pay structure and cost cutting have been taken out on the "lazy" postman and pay rises for the upper management at the same time. I'm sure this is another one step to far by bonus led management type of disagreement and having been there myself in the past I cant say I blame them. Too many board members coming from across the civil service to know what it's like doing a job at ground level.
I do know that my previous postperson at another house in Peterborough was so lazy she only delivered every other day, then when that got a bit too much, she took to walking down the main street (which had 10-15 house cul-de-sacs off it) and dumped all that cul-de-sacs post at number 1! That went on for about 3 months as calls to the post office went unanswered, and letters to them went un answered! Then I moved, probably still goes on! That was 2 years ago.

On the topic of 'not knowing about conditions' you are absolutely right, I don't know. I do know this though. My postperson never delivers before 2 in the afternoon, my postperson always walks across my garden (jumping a 2 foot fence to do so, My post person throws his/her red elastic bands down my drain (first house on street) and my postman reads and enjoys reading postcards, I saw him on monday leaning against the lamp post at the end of the street flicking through the post and reading one as he had a fag.

That what I know, I have no sympathy for them at all. I stand by my original post, sack them all and draft in trained monkeys, they'd almost certainly be more thorough and more commited to the job.

PS, fella I worked with occasionally up to last year worked as a postman, he worked 6-11 each morning then worked as a jobber electrician in the afternoon. Couldn't be that tiring
a job now could it! He always promised 'I'll be there first thing' to clients, never was!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If they worked for a private sector employer, they wouldn't get way with doing naff all work and then going on strike to complain about doing naff all work.

High time they joined the real world.
A bit like the high quality cleaning services all our hospitals enjoy now then, due to outsourcing! :thumbs: :lol:

Whatever way you look at it though, cr4p management leading to don't-give-a-s8it workforce.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that privatisation would not work with those who live in "non-profitable" postcodes. Royal Mail even used to provide Postbus as a service in such communities.

You only need to look at the cutbacks in bus and rail services to the communities outside of the main cities. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You only need to look at the cutbacks in bus and rail services to the communities outside of the main cities. :)
"What have services got to do with making profit?" :confused:
"What is this thing 'community' you talk about?" :confused:
"Why don't these "outsiders" live in cities like proper people?" :confused:

etc etc.

(;))

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, because privatising industries has been a huge success in the last couple of decades, hasn't it? :confused:

Do you mind if I return that one to you the next time you comment about rail industry members going on strike?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
When in parcelforce we all knew why we weren't a great profit making company. Because of the rural places the post office charter "Promised" to deliver to every address twice every day except Sundays.
Everyone including the cleaner knew that halving that delivery service would make losses smaller or indeed make a profit. But, because this was a promise as were other services, no-one in the post office had the authority to change this.
All of a sudden that pillock(forget his name) who appointed Sven to the England job left the FA and walked straight into the top job at the post office even though he had no experience of the company. He pointed this promise out to his new Labour buddies who thought "We never keep our promises anyway. So lets just say **** the public and cut everything" to which he was given a huge well deserved bonus for being the first person to ever notice that this promise cost money:rolleyes:. Also, they arrange to cut the second delivery. But, now that they have a policy not to let postman out of the depot until 9am:confused: it does seem to be the first post that actually got cancelled.

Andy, every company has it's lazy, bad egg element and if you post person had been one of my delivery drivers they would have been sacked within hours of your first complaint.
The Queens mail used to mean something in this country. The power of the Investigation Bureau was the same as customs and excise and not many people dared to cross the line, knowing that any deliberate holding up of the mail would be dealt with very quickly and with a prison sentence. Evil people the IB used to be. Something else that has slipped into the past since this government came to power.

The same with any government run institution nowadays. Profits before service. Profit before standards.

Glad to see the postman lead the way and hoping many follow their example.:)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:confused: Perhaps I am just lucky...........

I have had no problems with the post at all, everything I send gets to its destination without problem, and the daily delivery we receive is always punctual within half an hour or so.....the two regular blokes who share the round are usually smiling too.....I must admit that puzzles me as I am a not a mornings person...

:lol: Even better it seems is that I work for a private company and usually do naff all most days......only this afternoon I was alone in the office for a few hours and managed to doze off for half an hour or so, when I was awoken by the phone ringing I was slightly confused and gave the name of my previous employer before hastily correcting myself.

:cool: Been like this for the last two years.....seems bonkers but I am just taking the money and trying not to think about the consequences of being in such a situation!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My postman is a nice chap who said he liked the GTV :thumbs:

But my girlfriend's mother's postperson keeps posting mail to random addresses, when I was down with her visiting, the postperson had posted someone in the next street's bank statement!

Though I must say, If I was ordering something on the internet, I would try and insist Parcel Force wasn't used. Had bad experience of them in the past.

I've noticed that round here within a couple of square miles used to be 3 good post offices.

Now there's one in the back of the co-op and one at the back of the spar, you have to fight past weekly shoppers with trolleys to post your parcels :(

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam Crozier - I thought I'd seen his ugly mug before. WTF does being a suit at the FA have to do with running a publicly-funded National Postal Service? Yes, I well remember the obscene bonus he was given. New Labour tosh. Tony 'Teflon' B.liar crony, etc, etc...

Another one - John Armpit (I know, it's spelt Armitt but he smells pretty bad to me), the guy who presided over a couple of horrendous rail crashes with Railtrack owing to gormless cost-cutting measures. Goes on TV a couple of times with a grim demanour and says big sorry - but don't sack me, I want to make it right. Then gets the top gig building the Olympic dream for London on a humongous salary. Somebody at New labour likes him.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to say, the amount of letters I get that have been 'speculatively tampered with' at some point during their Royal Mail journey is quite alarming.

And the amount of £10 notes that get nicked out of birthday card envelopes on their way from doting grandparents to grandchildren is truly sickening. Yes, I know you shouldn't put cash into an envelope, but the tenners always got through when I was a kid! :mad:

I suspect the tampering goes on at large faceless hub sorting-offices, not at my local office or by my postie. Still bloody annoying though!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My postman broke our fence when hoping over and he denied the whole thing :mad:

Since then our post always turns up rather late or not at all, try and complain and the phone just rings and rings, just bad luck I suppose :rolleyes:

Now that im a courier hope I don't get brushed with the same brush as the postman!!!

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I have to say, the amount of letters I get that have been 'speculatively tampered with' at some point during their Royal Mail journey is quite alarming.

And the amount of £10 notes that get nicked out of birthday card envelopes on their way from doting grandparents to grandchildren is truly sickening. Yes, I know you shouldn't put cash into an envelope, but the tenners always got through when I was a kid! :mad:
Report this sraight to the IB at any major sorting office and they will catch them. Complaining through normal channels is a waste of time nowadays.:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Report this sraight to the IB at any major sorting office and they will catch them. Complaining through normal channels is a waste of time nowadays.:rolleyes:
It's my bday tomorrow and I had already let people know don't bother putting cash in the cards, put cheques in if you wanna as they can't be nicked!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts