Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what angers me more, the tone of this article or Alfa UKs incompetence at not giving them a new car

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big-reads/whats-living-alfa-giulia-quadrifoglio

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Where do they get these wordy t*ssers from, ... I’ve had Alfa’s since he was born, non of them crap and non of them ever broke down on the hard shoulder ... maybe the car just resented him.
And yeah, Alfa UK, just keep digging that hole ... at this rate Alfa will end up doing a Lancia in the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33,722 Posts
It starts badly with the bragging millennial [email protected] and just goes for it.
The hidden bit in the conclusion "But I’ve now realised I’ve turned into one of those Alfa fans that champion the car even though it’s been nowhere near as reliable as its German competitors." is not strictly true.
Well, at least my Alfa is on a mgfv for after the company has pulled out of the U.K.
When Lancia pulled out in '93 owners got some money towards a Fiat or Alfa in compensation. I don't expect anything similar this time. There are no alternative FCA brands likely to continue by that time. Perhaps Jeep, under the new Chinese owner from when sweaterman sells it for his retirement fund.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
He loved it even though it broke down loads of times

It’s just the usual bad cop good cop “Top Gear” blueprint that bores me ... bring back Tony Mason

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah it's been ragged, look at the state of them Corsa's, road legal speeds wont tear up the tyres like that. It's been tracked to death. I've also seen that numberplate in many press photos. They've all been playing with the loud pedal, it's addictive so unfortunately that QF has had a hard life. If anybody with half a brain sees the EVO COTY award and then takes the QF for a drive then they'll be sold regardless of what Top Gear say. Have you ever read a review of an M3 or C63 press car with similar issues? And that comes back to what Ruskins has said, by AR giving the press a new car.

Still mine's epic, really really off the scale epic. 3 months in, 3k miles and zero issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you take out the reliability complaints - I think he has actually hit the point, which is this is a car for pure and simple driving enjoyment and the appreciation of good design. In a world where everything is becoming complicated and customisable, it makes a refreshing change!

·
Registered
33,722 Posts
I've worked with self-proclaimed creative millenials who've created nothing more than the proclamation that they're creative and young. I didn't mean anything different from what you're suggesting. But in their world without deferred gratification and so on who'd expect calm factual writing which actually gets the message across? A decent editor would've noticed the hidden statement I found and send the writer back to write it again so , if that was the message, that'd be the message.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I spotted him with the bonnet up on the hard shoulder of the M23 last summer as I crawled past in traffic in my old BMW. He looked seriously ****ed off.

I don't know why Alfa lent out some of those early cars which clearly had some issues. They'd have been better off flogging them off and giving journos brand new ones

·
Registered
189 Posts
I spotted him with the bonnet up on the hard shoulder of the M23 last summer as I crawled past in traffic in my old BMW. He looked seriously ****ed off.

I don't know why Alfa lent out some of those early cars which clearly had some issues. They'd have been better off flogging them off and giving journos brand new ones

As someone coming out of a Macan into a QF, I have been staggered by the response of people I’ve told. Almost unanimously, the sole comment has been ‘are you nuts, have you sorted your breakdown cover’..... etc etc. Articles like this are just more fuel for the fire.

I’m just as enthused about collecting the car as ever and it’s great to hear experiences from real owners who aren’t punishing the car everyday on the track. Roll on handover day!

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
It annoyed me that he was suggesting it's a common occurrence ("If you look on the forums"). Well, we're all on a forum and it's not a common occurrence.
Secondly, he's again perpetuated the myth that German cars are reliable. Maybe if he looked on the German car forums or Pistonheads he'd see how wrong that was. But then he wouldn't have as much to write about would he.
And yes, Alfa UK should have dumped that car long ago and sent out a newer one.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As someone coming out of a Macan into a QF, I have been staggered by the response of people I’ve told. Almost unanimously, the sole comment has been ‘are you nuts, have you sorted your breakdown cover’..... etc etc. Articles like this are just more fuel for the fire.

I’m just as enthused about collecting the car as ever and it’s great to hear experiences from real owners who aren’t punishing the car everyday on the track. Roll on handover day!

You'll have the last laugh when they see you driving round in a relative unicorn rocketship while they drive around in their generic germanmobiles.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't think it's anything to do with the car being ragged. I think there was a bad batch of cars with engine management problems and unfortunately most got into the hands of journalists. It's not all early cars as mine is older. I spent hours ragging mine round a track and it never missed a beat.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't think it's anything to do with the car being ragged. I think there was a bad batch of cars with engine management problems and unfortunately most got into the hands of journalists. It's not all early cars as mine is older. I spent hours ragging mine round a track and it never missed a beat.
This 100%.

Inferring that a high performance car, one which makes a virtue of its NRing time and track capabilities, has gone wrong because it has been driven hard and should therefore be excused is rather daft.

As Nick says there were some clear and obvious batch issues which Alfa UK did a bad job of sorting out post event.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I found it extremely agitating reading this article from Top Gear. Firstly I see that they are trying to downplay all the positive attributes of the car, for example even the Nring time he mentions it as 7.40 whilst with 7m32 it would be fairer to round to 7.30. Secondly I find it silly to call all Alfa Romeos crap as there have been some really amazing cars since the 80s, also comparing the price of a 156 GTA vs an equivalent year M3 in mainland Europe can by itself prove a point. Then he goes on exploiting the car breakdowns, all I know is that it could just be the dealer not being able to rectify one specific issue resulting to many visits to the dealership which makes it a dealer problem than a poor car reliability.

·
Registered
285 Posts
There's no excuse for multiple breakdowns. Alfa UK could've smoothed over it all by giving them a newer press car when it broke down the first time. It's really poor form from Alfa UK. The guy is just writing down what he experienced: an excellent but unreliable car

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's no excuse for multiple breakdowns. Alfa UK could've smoothed over it all by giving them a newer press car when it broke down the first time. It's really poor form from Alfa UK. The guy is just writing down what he experienced: an excellent but unreliable car
Thats whats so frustrating! The guy even quoted the water in the ECU thread as proof they are unreliable and NOBODY has had that issue! At least not yet!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts