Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so since buying my GTA I have thrown a pretty penny at it.. :cheese:

Which is fine and I dont mind doing, but I am now officially fed up with this metallic grinding noise that has been bugging me for more than a year. I am about as fed up as Lance gets every 3 months with AR :cheese:

First I thought cambelt.. I had it and all aux + waterpump replaced
Then the noise persisted. I had the cambelt + all etc replaced again
And then again...
And then 2 months ago it was done for 1 last time...

The noise is still there.

During the course of ownership I also had the following done:
New Alfa badges
New Coolant reservoir
New Alternator
New power steering pump
Full fluids flush
New brake discs and pads
New front suspension (jip the whole front suspension)

Now I am willing to replace 1 last thing on this GTA to address this noise.. If it doesnt work I would seriously consider donating my engine to AVI!

The thrust bearing is the last thing I am going to replace.

My car makes a metallic grinding noise if I rev it in neutral, or in any gear when driving.. And its driving me up the wall.. Instead of hearing the Busso at full tilt I hear an irritating metallic grinding noise.

So if I replace the whole clutch will this thrust bearing be part of it? If so will it fix my problem?

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
wait a bit... You mean the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed?

If your answer is yes, then release bearing is your answer culprit. Replace the clutch kit as the old clutch may be buggered anyway and you will want to do that while the box is off...

...and while you're at it, fit a Q2 :thumbs: hands down the best mod you could ever do to your GTA/GTV/GT...

·
Registered
975 Posts
Firstly welcome back
I also think that these cars are not cheap to run once past 100k everything seems to be wearing out! but cheaper than losts of other performance cars. I would be interested to know what the cost of ownership has been for your car as it looks like you have had to replace some expensive parts.I have had mine GT for 3 years now and after about 70k of driving its on R35k with nothing 'major' breaking
Grating noise could be anything but I am sure the clever chaps will help you

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
wait a bit... You mean the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed?

If your answer is yes, then release bearing is your answer culprit. Replace the clutch kit as the old clutch may be buggered anyway and you will want to do that while the box is off...

...and while you're at it, fit a Q2 :thumbs: hands down the best mod you could ever do to your GTA/GTV/GT...
Yes the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed..

And I would love to fit a Q2.. But ask 4C buyers on here.. Recovering from the deposit requirements aint easy :cheese:

Thanks richard.. Nice to be back.

Was planning on taking a sabbatical similar to Zeff.. But he actually sticks to his sabattical :lol:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard..

Cambelt + aux+ waterpump + new discs and pads R18K
Alternator around R8k
Power steering pump IIRC R3k (will have to check)
Front suspension around R6k
Fluids flush R3k
Coolant reservior around R800
Alfa Badges think R200 a pop
Fuel.. Dont want to know :cheese:

Note all prices quoted included labour and fluids etc...

I have clocked around 16 000kms with the GTA

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Diffs ok??

My knackered diff made a right old racket before it blew.

My current GT has just had a Q2 fitted. Before that you could hear the bearings rolling when you lift the car and spin the front wheels. It didnt have long left.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in my first 8 months I spent around R45K on my GTV. But I just can't sell it, it's just perfect now! :thumbs:
Mine will be perfect with Q2 and some nice Numen 156SW GTA wheels :cool:

Richard.. ETA is February 2014

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Richard it was to get the car perfect. The qarranty due to the age of the car only covered percentages of worn components but now I have a new car mechanically: new suspension bits, drive shafts, clutch, Q2, uprated brakes, basically everything that should be periodically replaced was done. That's why it's perfect now :thumbs: oh not forgetting cambelt service, plugs, water hoses and pump.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Perreby you have the exact same noise as on my saloon and yes it is the release bearing after I good while I figured out. This was the cars 2nd clutch with not alot of miles. I bought a cg motorsport Kevlar fast road clutch which will go on soon, it retailed at £280, but considering the labour to replace it I thougt the extra £ was worth it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Freakin hell...That's way too much of cash to be spending on a car to get it fixed. Imagine if you could spend that money on mods!!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lance, my GTA doesnt need to be modded to be fast.. Ask Avi :cheese:

And you should know since you drove it, and you saw me pulling away from your modded GQV on the R21 at high speed ;)

If I do the clutch and Q2 I would have spent over R50k on the GTA already.

Then want to respray the side skirts, make my mags look like Numen's mags, and refurbish the calipers

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Anything needs to be modded...to personalize it.

Even when I get a Ferarri it will be modified.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Even when I get a Ferarri it will be modified.
...with a sticker in the rear window: "We Never Walk Alone..."

Lance, you can order your ferrari from the factory with whatever you want so why would you ever beleive that they did it wrong and only you can make it "right"?:lol:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I ordered a GTA clutch kit from Autolusso about 2 months ago.

The kit, with a gearbox input seal and its housing (the thrust bearing runs around this and it wears), with 5 day UPS delivery to my door was GBP250. Plus about R250 in customs when it came through joburg.

EDIT: A mate of mine got a price of about R9500 for a Q2 from Chatz - supply only obs.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
...with a sticker in the rear window: "We Never Walk Alone..."

Lance, you can order your ferrari from the factory with whatever you want so why would you ever beleive that they did it wrong and only you can make it "right"?:lol:
Have you seen the UR Ferari's???
Underground Racing - TWIN TURBO FERRARI 458
And then the obvious...
Car Crash: Underground Racing Ferrari 458 Italia Destroyed

But look at this...

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/gallery/adv-1-ferrari-458-italia/adv-1_ferrari_458_07.jpg

Oh
My
HAT

1 - 20 of 46 Posts