Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
First link no worky.

I use Road Angel with laser detector and GPS for fixed sites. It's serves me well ;) Not sure if theyve rolled it out to SA though.

Is it legal in SA to use BTW :confused:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry this is correct link

Cobra XRS R7 Radar Detector | Autostyle Motorsport

Seems to be the best design IMO, not sure how well the other would pick up the guys shooting from behind?!

I use a Garmin most of the time for the Fixed camera's, but its mainly the guys hiding the bushes that get me, saw them too late today :( was doing 80 in a 60 zone..

Yes I've heard its legal to have a DETECTOR, however if you are caught with a JAMMER they can impound your car, slap you with a huge and possibly even end up in jail. Obv I would prefer the jammer but its just not worth it.

The main reason I want a detector is to avoid silly fines the one above, I don't drive reckelessly or in excessive speed, its the just the traffic cops here are really out to get us, trapping on downhills, ridiculous zoning, its all a money making scheme to them..

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
While my front number plate was off, 3 months, I've been trapped 6+ times, once doing 200kph on highway...but they couldnt catch me as there was NO plate on the front bumper, I checked all 6 times and they didnt' turn around to check for my rear plate....

It helps alot,

but I put it back today coz were going on a roadtrip to Kimberley for the weekend...

And I'll rather be right with the law then have to lie my way out of a fine, possibly end up paying R200 bribe!

My take on things...I've tried HARD to stick to speed limits but its darn near impossible esp the 60kph ones!

Don't take that risk of having that jammer in your car, they can walk passed your car parked and see the jammer and still take the car!!!

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They always setting up road blocks,I run into them every few weeks and I get pulled over in the majority of them, R500 for no plates gets exp.. I parked my car once with no plates came back to find the meter maid writing out a ticket for me.

Agreed, I will rather take any fine that they give me instead of a bribe! We dont want to encourage this sort of behavious

A cop asked me for a bribe the one time as I overtook on a solid line, he asked me where I was going etc and told me the fine for crossing a solid line was R500 he took my license and pretended to write on his clipboard, he then asked how much should the fine, so I said you're the cop you tell me, you said it was R500 earlier so I guess its R500, he said "how much money do you have on you" so I said 30 bucks ( In hindsight I should have just said none of your concern).

So then he says put it under here ( implying his clipboard) and I'll let you go, so I look at my friend next to me and said did he just ask for a bribe? And my mates like yeh.. just take the fine, I had no intention of bribing the guy anyway, so I look at the cop and say just give me the fine its ok I'll pay it.. he hands me license back and says just go!

I really cant stand them:mad:

I'm not planning on getting a jammer..

Anyway back on topic, Does any body know what band the metropigs use for their laser and radar detectors? which is the best detector for SA?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts