Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks buddy. I've already seen that video and I really like the sound compared to the other systems available. Seems to much more high pitched and exotic sounding. Was just interested if anyone has heard one in person.

Think I'll bite the bullet and put an order in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't hear much difference? It's a bit ruder at low revs than standard but almost no difference above the 3500 valve threshold.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Larini can be a pig to deal with in terms of lead times and kits being incomplete etc. Nice product but frankly I expect better at this price. This was from when I bought a full manifold back system for a maserati.

I'm not sure that there is that there is much to be gained sound wise over and above the standard exhaust with flaps programmed to be open at will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well guys, I've bit the bullet and put in the order. Larini Clubsport Rear Box with Valves and Clubsport (race X pipe) Centre Section. Its always a risk ordering an expensive system without hearing in person but there are so few people modifying these cars its almost impossible to actually find one to listen to in real life. I do not know of anyone in UK apart from the one shown in the video with the full Larini set up. ETA approximately 30 days but I don't mind waiting for the exhaust I wanted. Having heard all of the Giulia exhaust videos on youtube I was disappointed in that most of them sound far too low and muscle car like, whereas the sound I am going for is more high pitched which the Larini seems closest to. Definitely looking forward to it and will post up sound clips and review once its all on!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Did you go for the quieter one as fitted in that video or the ASBO one?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't hear much difference? It's a bit ruder at low revs than standard but almost no difference above the 3500 valve threshold.
I was thinking exactly the same when i heard it, it's not even night and day different. If you compare say the stock RS4 exhaust to Miltek then yes that's what you pay money for. But I've not heard any of the aftermarket QF exhausts that make me want to sell a kidney for.

Want it louder? Just open the window... :blabla:

If anything I'd like more pops and bangs as an option instead, just so I can switch them on and off when in the mood.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It would seem that no matter what aftermarket exhaust is put on the Quadrifoglio, it does not actually change its sound that much. I'm pretty sure manufacturers have tried all their tricks, including H-pipe, X-pipe, or no connection, but all they got were minor differences and more decibels, but no really noticable change in sound inself.

I was also hoping for at least a bit more high pitched sound at higher revs, where the sound of the Quadrifogfio doens't really satisfy or develop into what it should but we never got that.

The biggest difference however was with catless downpipes, and to some extent with sport cats.
Would be interstting to hear Akrapovic with their catless downpipes as well.

Catless downpipes, X-pipe, OEM rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7x8xRK8aM
Catless downpipes, unknown middle section, Capristo rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccMJJKIBJs
Supersprint complete exhaust with sport cats, separeted pipes in the middle, and their own rear section: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssa0TEbspus

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have gone for the race or 'ASBO' version with the non resonated X pipe centre section. So it will be louder than the one shown in the video. I was not and never was expecting it to be a 'night and day' difference in tone over stock nor would I want it to be. I simply want a slightly higher pitched roar and louder noise which this Larini system seems to offer. Yes it's expensive but it's an expensive car so for me it's worth it.

Initially I was set on the Tubi but noticed their system uses the H pipe and does in the videos sound lower pitched and muscular which is not what I want. Larini is known for making higher pitched sounding systems not just for Alfas but also for Maseratis and Ferraris also.

Over on the US forums many have reviewed the Magnaflow X pipe upgrade alone and reported a fairly big difference over stock both in terms of volume and pitch. Referring to the latter of which most had reported the car sounded more raw/racey and almost tinny with the higher pitch produced by the X pipe.

I'm therefore hoping that with the Larini X pipe coupled with the new rear box the car will sound just about as good as it can sound !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also there is a clear difference in sound between stock and Larini, as shown in this video at 50 seconds in. The stock system sounds much lower pitched, and 'wetter' sounding to describe it.

https://youtu.be/OWGXO8CJEV0

Whereas the Larini here at 45 seconds in sounds to me like how it should have sounded from factory

https://youtu.be/sz6DbiJWGak

But of course the only true way to find out is wait until the system arrives and is fitted! Looking forward to it regardless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have gone for the race or 'ASBO' version with the non resonated X pipe centre section. So it will be louder than the one shown in the video. I was not and never was expecting it to be a 'night and day' difference in tone over stock nor would I want it to be. I simply want a slightly higher pitched roar and louder noise which this Larini system seems to offer. Yes it's expensive but it's an expensive car so for me it's worth it.

Initially I was set on the Tubi but noticed their system uses the H pipe and does in the videos sound lower pitched and muscular which is not what I want. Larini is known for making higher pitched sounding systems not just for Alfas but also for Maseratis and Ferraris also.

Over on the US forums many have reviewed the Magnaflow X pipe upgrade alone and reported a fairly big difference over stock both in terms of volume and pitch. Referring to the latter of which most had reported the car sounded more raw/racey and almost tinny with the higher pitch produced by the X pipe.

I'm therefore hoping that with the Larini X pipe coupled with the new rear box the car will sound just about as good as it can sound !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anybody fitted one of these to their QV or heard one in person?
[/QUOTE

I’m looking at purchasing the Larini ‘Club Sport’ centre pipe on its own. Does any know if there are any issues fitting this to the OEM rear muffler? I’m hoping it will be a straight swap - as is the case with the x-pipe from Magnaflow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A pity we haven’t heard back....
Larini have just emailed me confirming the fit. Going to place an order for the ‘club sport centre x-pipe’ for my Giulia Quadrifoglio next week. If anyone else is interested, let’s see if we can get a group discount!

Hi Joshua,

That is correct. It is made to interchange with the original components

Regards
Russell Reeves
Larini Systems Australia

·
Registered
382 Posts
Make a video for us please? I'm pretty sure it will sound almost identical to the centreline one but good to know. The Larini sports cats are reasonably priced. I was put off as I wasn't sure if they would fit the OE cat back exhaust or if their centre section would fit the OE back boxes but if they confirmed the centre section fits the OE back boxes I am very tempted to go for a set of sports cats with the centre section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make a video for us please? I'm pretty sure it will sound almost identical to the centreline one but good to know. The Larini sports cats are reasonably priced. I was put off as I wasn't sure if they would fit the OE cat back exhaust or if their centre section would fit the OE back boxes but if they confirmed the centre section fits the OE back boxes I am very tempted to go for a set of sports cats with the centre section.
Sure thing. I’m also tempted by the cats but I’m going to start with the centre x pipe and go from there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sure thing. I’m also tempted by the cats but I’m going to start with the centre x pipe and go from there.
I always do a resonator delete on my cars as it's an easy way to add volume, but my previous cars were V8 so that's all they needed. For me the Giulia doesn't need to just get louder, it needs a change of tone so I think I'll go with sports cars first for the tone then maybe the resonstor delete if it needs to get louder.
Did they mention how long it takes to make the parts?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts