Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just don't get it. Around 30 years ago I failed my first driving test because the examiner asked me "to turn left, then next right". From this I assumed that the right turn was soon after the left turn, which itself was onto a dual carraigeway (DC). As the road was a continuous bend to the right and I didn't know and couldn't see where the actual right turn was, I got in the right hand lane early. I failed for doing that because the actual turn was some distance away, technically fair enough, although to this day maintain it was the examiner who instructed me incorrectly.

Anyway, on to my point. These days you see people getting into the right hand lane early, particularly on urban dual carraigeways, even when the actual right turn is some distance away. Not just one or two, but almost everybody does this! Every single morning I turn left onto a DC and pass at least half a dozen cars who are in the right hand lane because they're turning right at the next set of lights.

Some don't even do that - every day I see people travelling all the way up the DC in the right hand lane to join the motorway, which is about three miles up the road AND involves a LEFT turn at a roundabout before going up the final stretch to the right turn at the end for the M55. WHY don't they keep to the left until they're on the final stretch, or at the very least until they have made the left turn at the penultimate roundabout?

Are they taught to do this? The reason I ask is I saw a learner driver, with instructor, doing exactly this - at around 18 mph - right up until they got to the "Motorway" roundabout at which point they came across to the left to go straight on - the only time for the three mile run they were in the correct lane. That's an instant fail surely? If the instructors are that bad it's no wonder everybody else is, and it's definately the majority these days. :mad:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I just don't get it. Around 30 years ago I failed my first driving test because the examiner asked me "to turn left, then next right". From this I assumed that the right turn was soon after the left turn, which itself was onto a dual carraigeway (DC). As the road was a continuous bend to the right and I didn't know and couldn't see where the actual right turn was, I got in the right hand lane early. I failed for doing that because the actual turn was some distance away, technically fair enough, although to this day maintain it was the examiner who instructed me incorrectly.

Anyway, on to my point. These days you see people getting into the right hand lane early, particularly on urban dual carraigeways, even when the actual right turn is some distance away. Not just one or two, but almost everybody does this! Every single morning I turn left onto a DC and pass at least half a dozen cars who are in the right hand lane because they're turning right at the next set of lights.

Some don't even do that - every day I see people travelling all the way up the DC in the right hand lane to join the motorway, which is about three miles up the road AND involves a LEFT turn at a roundabout before going up the final stretch to the right turn at the end for the M55. WHY don't they keep to the left until they're on the final stretch, or at the very least until they have made the left turn at the penultimate roundabout?

Are they taught to do this? The reason I ask is I saw a learner driver, with instructor, doing exactly this - at around 18 mph - right up until they got to the "Motorway" roundabout at which point they came across to the left to go straight on - the only time for the three mile run they were in the correct lane. That's an instant fail surely? If the instructors are that bad it's no wonder everybody else is, and it's definately the majority these days. :mad:
yep, on the DC near me, the cars that are infront, that turn left onto the DC, instantly get into the righ lane:confused:

so i get behind them, there always doing well under the speedlimit too:mad:

in that case i undertake, as there is nothing in the left lane at all:rant:

you maybe right, i was always taught to stay left unless instructed otherwise, via the instructor, examiner, or signs, everything else was a instant fail, due to driving without due care and attention;)

either that or there are some propper numpties out there:rant:

D

·
0 Posts
I'm with AR, people who do this do my head in, and not because I'm a speed demon but because if I am feeling 'Slow' that day, I'll do my best to keep in the left hand lanes and out of everyone elses way who wants to go a bit quicker. If I'm behind some numpty in the right hand lane who want's to turn right about a mile down the road at the roundabout then I'll undertake, not dangerously, but I will, I'm not sitting behind some ****** who wants to do 30MPH in a 50MPH zone, :lol:

Also, roundabouts are a nightmare! The way it should work is that if you want to go straight on or left you stick to the left, BUT if you do this people coming from the left might pull out in front of you because you are using lane discipline and they aren't used to someone using it and assume I'm turning left but not indicating, :rolleyes:

I've had that a few times on this specific roundabout near me, so now I have to intentionally drive like a selfish bazzer and take up the whole roundabout otherwise people will pull out in front of me, :rant: The Racing Line is what they call it, that's what you gotta do at roundabouts near me, :lol:

WOOOSH!!! Straight across, no messing, everyone knows where they stand, :lol:

·
0 Posts
These will be the same folk that automatically join the centre lane on motorways :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
These will be the same folk that automatically join the centre lane on motorways :rolleyes:
yep them aswell, then stay there despite the fact that the inside lane is empty:rant:

·
Registered
286 Posts
On the dc travelling to work, I am getting people going into the right hand lane and staying there until the road forks, when they then move into the left lane to take the left fork.

I have taken to overtaking from the inside lane on motorways by moving out to the 3rd lane and back in as short a space as possible. Results have been varied, but I have noticed a few drivers moving in after I have passed. I assume they don't see me coming as they probably don't check their offside mirror.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
When you think about it (as we are doing in this thread), being in the right place on the road is the most basic and fundamental part of driving a car. People who cannot work out which lane to be in when driving their car should not be driving in the first place.

Such people are Cossiebags and should have their licences removed forthwith.

This is the word of Morgan. :D

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Having driven the length and breadth of the UK I can confidently assert that Central Scotland has the highest proportion of outside lane-hoggers in the country. Try the M8 on a week day rush hour as an example. There are miles and miles of unused tarmac on the inside lane. How can these eejits not realise that they slow everyone down, including themselves, when they are out there - so little tarmac, so many cars:mad:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you think about it (as we are doing in this thread), being in the right place on the road is the most basic and fundamental part of driving a car. People who cannot work out which lane to be in when driving their car should not be driving in the first place.

Such people are Cossiebags and should have their licences removed forthwith.

This is the word of Morgan. :D
I agree 100%. It aggrieves me that the silent masses are doing something that I failed my test for, but if you 'undertake' them YOU are in the wrong as far as the law is concerned. I actually got pulled over for this a few weeks ago, young copper who obviously got the oldest vehicle in the pool, an old Transit van gave me a tug and then launched into the lecture about undertaking and said "I understand it's frustrating but they're not doing anything wrong..." - he was lost when I asked him to explain why I failed my driving test for it then, and gave up when I pointed out that he:tut: "pulled" me on a bend on the dual carraigeway and our 'parked' vehicles were now causing a far bigger hazard than my undertaking ever would have. :tut:

It is a farce though. What bugs me more than anything is the way they glare at you when you pass them on the inside - WELL MOVE OVER, THEN I WOULDN'T HAVE TO! :rant:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
tsk, lanes, you should do like in Italy, pyramidal queues is the answer :D
Seriously, despite having moved here from more than a year now, I still struggle to understand the extremely mechanical way people drive: direction lanes, roundabouts.. do they still teach you to think in driving schools?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Italy was great for driving, a bit 'in your face' in the beginning but once you get used to their way of driving it works...
Unfortunately driving schools have upped their prices so much that IMHO there's no, or very little scope left for 'thinking'. You just do as your told and stick to the handbook unless you're to fail and start all over agin. And many people tend to drive like that the rest of their lives.
The lane hoggers? well I'm at a loss as to what they are up to most of the times!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I agree with all of the above. :)

But it bothers me far less after experiencing driving around roundabouts in Montpellier France at rush-hour on a Friday evening!:eek:

They came at me on two squealing wheels - VERY SCARY !!! :wow:

At that point I just forgot everything I'd ever been taught, pointed the car and accelerrated!! (I'm really glad I don't understand French expletives :lol:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Short answer is that they dont teach.

I have a 3 mile stretch of urban dual carrageway between me and home, and on that there is 3 roundabouts and 2 traffic light controlled junctions. there will be people in the right hand lane for the whole distance traveling straight on at every junction/roundabout below the speed limit, and you guessed it the left hand lane is always clear.

I wonder if the fact that it can be very often refered to as the "fast lane", so people get on the motorway/dual carrageways and immediately pull out. "i'm doing 70mph, thats fast, so I must go in the fast lane..."

I have always thought that as part of passing the driving test you should then have a compulsory hours lesson on the motorway on lane discipline. this should not be a pass or fail situation, but simply as a requirement to do before you can apply from your full licence.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Having driven the length and breadth of the UK I can confidently assert that Central Scotland has the highest proportion of outside lane-hoggers in the country. Try the M8 on a week day rush hour as an example. There are miles and miles of unused tarmac on the inside lane. How can these eejits not realise that they slow everyone down, including themselves, when they are out there - so little tarmac, so many cars:mad:
The M8 is about the worst driven road in creation.

Don't get me started on it!

Ok, you have!

Driving out of Glasgow one morning I was patiently sitting behind someone doing 60mph in the fast lane, from the Wishaw turnoff all the way down to the Shotts turnoff, now I sat there and counted over 10 cars sitting in the inside lane pass the guy in front and just jump out in front of him.

Each time a car went in front of him, he then slapped on the brakes to leave a huge space, encouraging the next car to undertake him... What's the point in going into the outside lane if your not going to overtake anything!?!?? I'm ashamed to say but I got so frustrated I was on the lights and horn, which I know didn't help anything, but.... :mad:

Also, heading into Glasgow, it's fairly well marked where the '74 joins that the road turns into 3 lanes. No matter how empty the inside lane is, everyone that comes out that junction cuts you up as they jump into the middle lane, forcing you to the outside lane when there was never any need! If they had stayed put we would all have been happy!

And what's with trucks getting to the downhill stretch at Harthill services, pulling out to overtake another truck, just to find themselves slowing down and not being able to pass when they get to the equally steep uphill section just after the downhill section, then pulling back in again!!!???!? :mad:

The M8 is a thread in its own, I'm going over to the South Scotland section to start one....

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Whatever they teach it's forgotten. Part of the issue here in the UK is that motorway driving isn't taught. Lane discipline in mainland Europe is better but their in town ethics, especially parking is shocking!

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
agreed :lol: U have driven that stretch many times and always held up by a lane hogger :rolleyes: as I travel from Darnley to Whitburn near Livingston and the M8 is only 2 lanes along that stretch :mad:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The M8 is about the worst driven road in creation.

Don't get me started on it!

Ok, you have!

Driving out of Glasgow one morning I was patiently sitting behind someone doing 60mph in the fast lane, from the Wishaw turnoff all the way down to the Shotts turnoff, now I sat there and counted over 10 cars sitting in the inside lane pass the guy in front and just jump out in front of him.

Each time a car went in front of him, he then slapped on the brakes to leave a huge space, encouraging the next car to undertake him... What's the point in going into the outside lane if your not going to overtake anything!?!?? I'm ashamed to say but I got so frustrated I was on the lights and horn, which I know didn't help anything, but.... :mad:

Also, heading into Glasgow, it's fairly well marked where the '74 joins that the road turns into 3 lanes. No matter how empty the inside lane is, everyone that comes out that junction cuts you up as they jump into the middle lane, forcing you to the outside lane when there was never any need! If they had stayed put we would all have been happy!

And what's with trucks getting to the downhill stretch at Harthill services, pulling out to overtake another truck, just to find themselves slowing down and not being able to pass when they get to the equally steep uphill section just after the downhill section, then pulling back in again!!!???!? :mad:

The M8 is a thread in its own, I'm going over to the South Scotland section to start one....
Something similar could be said about the M60 in the evening rush hour between J12 and J15. The two outside lanes are chockablock but there's plenty of space on the two inside lanes. Drives me mad :mad:, I often end up on the inside lane where it is practically clear, bypassing most of the traffic because you know that nobody is going to use it:mad::mad:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Short answer is that they dont teach.

I have a 3 mile stretch of urban dual carrageway between me and home, and on that there is 3 roundabouts and 2 traffic light controlled junctions. there will be people in the right hand lane for the whole distance traveling straight on at every junction/roundabout below the speed limit, and you guessed it the left hand lane is always clear
Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. The ones that really annoy me are those who pull out as if to pass the car they were behind, draw level with it but make no attempt to pass thus both lanes are then blocked by 2 cars both doing around 25mph. I just don't get what goes through their heads. :rant:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts