Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will they sell as many?
Will Hutton tweeted
"#Brexit Britain Part 2. Tata to move all production of Discovery Land Rover to Slovakia, wider manufacturing output falls 1.4 per cent in April and export growth slumping. Not a “bump in the road” aka Boris Johnson. The result of impending disastrous end of friction free trade."

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
I heard this tonight too.

But from what I can gather from the reports, its because Land Rover are re-tooling their plant, in order to make other models; and they claim that they are investing in the UK plants.

Agency staff will be affected, but permanent staff will be ok, for now.

Fingers crossed that they are true to their word.

·
Registered
17,157 Posts
I too will never buy a new Discovery.

This is mostly because I can't afford one.

Also that offset numberplate does my swede in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The average wage in Slovakia is around Euros 823 per month, so this is yet another example of greedy employers taking advantage of cheap labour.
I wonder what the tax advantages are for a company moving its production abroad?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
this is yet another example of greedy employers taking advantage of cheap labour.
Nothing, of course, to do with greedy consumers who want everything at the lowest possible price.

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
The average wage in Slovakia is around Euros 823 per month, so this is yet another example of greedy employers taking advantage of cheap labour.
I wonder what the tax advantages are for a company moving its production abroad?
Why didn't uk.gov shake the magic money tree like they did for Nissan?
(And to buy DUP votes.) :confused:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Nothing, of course, to do with greedy consumers who want everything at the lowest possible price.
Ah, that old chestnut being brought back to life - Lazarus like.
This is no different to utilities providers outsourcing everything abroad to take advantage of the lowest possible resources - humans.
What about the UK workers who will lose their jobs?

·
Registered
39,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When this country loses the trading facilities of being in Europe and tariffs kick in Slovakian production will make even more sense to JLR.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The build quality in Solihull is questionable can imagine that It will improve in Slovakia think Alfasud

·
Registered
155 Posts
This is more to do with the wisdom of globalisation than anything else.

If you can bake bread twice as cheaply as me and I can make shoes twice as cheaply as you, then it makes absolute sense for you to sell me bread and me to sell you shoes.

If you can bake bread and make shoes more cheaply than me (maybe because you don't have an NHS to support) then I will go bankrupt and you will lose your market.

The economics of prosperity depends on differing competitive advantages between people/nations, some level of equalisation to take into account social costs (if we aim to be humanitarian) as well as continuing growth and development of new products and markets.

·
Registered
39,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do have an A-level in Economics thanks. Not that it's necessary to understand the implications of competition you describe.

·
Registered
39,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Baked products differ from Land Rovers in that they are perishable. Their supplier base is probably simpler too. That and economies of scale.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts