·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking on the Lancia website,the Thesis seems to be an
upmarket version of the 166,some of the engines are the same,
it has similar rear lights to the original maserati coupe and even
a skyhook suspension suspension option(electronically controlled
dampers I think),I must say some of the interiors look lovely.
Pity Lancia withdrew from the UK market,but of course they were
plagued by terminal rust problems.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
like Alfa, every new Lancia after the Thema was galvanized. The old Delta and Y10 were the last not to be done. Its just everyone thought they were unreliable and rusty, now, where have I heard that before? :D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
But its also upmarket in price - the dealer has one here but no one would pay that high price for a Lancia

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
OMG!! The front end is hideous!!

Quite like the interior though.

Mind you, the 166 wins hands down on all accounts!!

B

·
0 Posts
OMG!! The front end is hideous!!

Quite like the interior though.

Mind you, the 166 wins hands down on all accounts!!
It's pretty shocking isn't it! I'm a huge Lancia fan: my parents had four or five Lancias, I bought one as soon as I could and now (finally) have an Integrale. :inlove:

Even with all that, I can't bring myself to love the Thesis! :cry: I wish they'd sort it out, as the company does have such a lot of heritage and motorsport success to play with...

·
Registered
443 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
You do know that Lancia are coming back to the UK, right? I spotted it in Design Week last week: "The brand will return to the UK with a right-hand drive version of its new Delta in 2008" http://www.designweek.co.uk/liChannelID/7/Articles/134243/New+identity+for+Lancia.html

The Thesis is butt ugly though. Looks like a Daewoo Leganza!
Hi Rich. If that was for me, I do indeed know that - I'm new to Alfa but not Lancia; and on the Lancia forums it was discussed ages ago. Really good news in one sense, but only the new Delta (please, please let them offer an Integrale-type variant) is really of interest. :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I'd like to import a Ypsilon or Delat 2 and make in RHD if I had the time. It cannot be that hard, Punto or Dedra bits would sort that out over a few weekends, especially the Ypsilon as the dials are in the middle, there's only the steering and pedals and lights to do.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
One reason Lancia abandoned the UK was the cost of producing small numbers of RHD. They had rust problems as did all other manufacturers up till the late 1970's. BMW were wax injected by the UK importers in 1973 onwards because of serious corrosion.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Will bringing lancia back to the UK have an impact on any Alfa sales do you think??

B

·
0 Posts
I'd like to import a Ypsilon or Delat 2 and make in RHD if I had the time. It cannot be that hard, Punto or Dedra bits would sort that out over a few weekends, especially the Ypsilon as the dials are in the middle, there's only the steering and pedals and lights to do.
Good idea. There are a few Delta II's kicking around in the UK and they come up now and again for sale.

Do you know www.evoforum.net? The guy who runs it is very friendly and is plugged in to the market and will also post your "wanted" advert on the site.

I like the Delta II's quite a bit. I take it you'd be after an HPE?

B

·
0 Posts
Will bringing lancia back to the UK have an impact on any Alfa sales do you think??
I personally think it would, but not hugely. Certainly, many people who run older Lancias also run newer Alfas, but if they had an opportunity to run a new Lancia they might well convert back. In addition, people who have a general interest in Italian cars and an aversion to German autobahn-stormers would probably be intruiged by the Lancia brand.

If the styling was sharper on the newer cars, I probably would go back to Lancia.

FIAT, however, is positioning the two brands quite differently, so I think Alfa will remain the "sexy / sporty" brand and Lancia will remain the "luxury / classic" brand, so Alfa's probably safe :)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
i think that's right - seem to remember there was a fiat group presentation kicking about that described this...basically moving the alfa up a bit to a more sporty brand along side the massers and the lancia's would be the posh fiats for more discerning drivers :D

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Lancia always was the posh fiat with alfa the sporty side.

Take early nineties - Fiat tempra, lancia dedra & alfa 155. Basically the same car but with each companies stamp much the same as skoda, seat, vw & audi.

I don't think Lancia took many sales from alfa - Different enough.

I used to be a lancia man - Beta, delta, prisma & dedra. My brother has owned a montecarlo, thema & 2 integrales. Rust issues were not more of a problem than any other manufacturer in eighties but could not get over the beta thing from the seventies. My beta was a 1981 model that I owned in 1991 to 1993 - It was Ok being the last of them.

I will welcome their UK return but doubt they would tempt me away from alfa now

1 - 20 of 32 Posts