1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
It may be a beast, but it looks horrible... :eek:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
If it comes back up for sale, you guys can buy it for me for christmas. There's a load off your minds now. No need to thank me.

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Don't see the attraction myself.... its like owning a Robin Reliant... yes you have a second look but only because it looks strange.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
kurzon said:
Don't see the attraction myself.... its like owning a Robin Reliant... yes you have a second look but only because it looks strange.
I think it's more to do with the driving experience than the looks ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Gime gime gime that DeltaS4!!!! :cool: That diabolic Lancia goes from 0 to 100km/h in about 3 seconds! :cool: That looks more then good to me! :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Yes I think so, it uses. But the power is limited.

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
MT said:
I think it's more to do with the driving experience than the looks ;)
I think you been watching 'Average Joe' on TV where they think it matters whats on the inside and not just how they look ;) When it come to cars I think looks do count. :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
I would only change one thing: the colour. :cool:

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I have to say to me it looks like something constructed with Lego blocks by a kid with no sense of artistic/drafting perspective. :rolleyes:

I'm betting it has a fast engine so the owners can make quick getaways -- a much needed feature because they all risk dying of embarrassment if they are seen getting into and out of something so hideous. ;)
--Toronto

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
It was actually a space frame chassis taken from the Lancia 037 and made to fit under a Delta body. Then a powerful engine was slapped over the back axle; twin turboed and supercharged. Which also needed air hence the side scoops. Basically this car SHOULD be function over form. It is a purpose built race (rally) car and the road version were only built for humolagation (not spelt correctly I know). So if you don't like its winning ways then whine elsewhere.

Simon

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
kurzon said:
I think you been watching 'Average Joe' on TV where they think it matters whats on the inside and not just how they look ;) When it come to cars I think looks do count. :D
If only i was shallow enough to be guided by a TV program, would make life a while lot simpler :D
Is that a program about what car the average Joe drives?

I'm definately with Eminence on this one, function over form as it was definately built to perform, trying to make it look acceptable to the 'average Joe' would definately have detracted from that and the car wouldn't have been as good as it is. But if looks are your prime concern then definately look elsewhere :D

·
Registered
45,472 Posts
Okay so its supposed to be fast... weepee-deee-dooo-daar. Styling does matter and it fails dramatically there. As said by 'his Eminence' - its put together and then changed again to compensate other components... hence its the sum of the attention to styling, it has none. As said function over form - mathematics has some very nice functions which yield wonderful and marvelous results but that doesn't stir my soul. I accept its fast and built for racing but thats that. Whine... I will but I am not at all emotionally attached to this vehicle so mines just an opinion.

'Average Joe', according to the mrs ;), it is about 'Average Joes' trying to drive a different type of Bella. :D

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Soz, wasn't trying to knock your opinion. You said you couldn't see the attraction of the car and i was just trying to point out that the attraction is in how it drives and not it's looks.
The fact that you likened it to a Robin Reliant is cool though, cos from your point of view they are in the same category, (and not a very highly rated one at that ;) ) but for me they couldn't be more different.
Just like the criteria we both use to judge cars :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
The importance of this car is not it's looks nor it's power (500hp plus in rally form, 250hp in road form from the super and turbo charged 1.8.) It's importance is it's role in Group B rallying which only existed between 83 and 87, in short this car hit the rally stages in 85 immediately took a 1, 2 in the group B world rally championships, it was then on for winning the 86 Group B world championship when a fatal crash killed its driver and co-driver...that coupled with an earlier fatal group B crash involving a ford RS200 got Group B rallying axed but not before Audi, Ford, Lancia, Peugeot, Renault and Rover had produced rally cars that still remain faster than the rally cars of today....... with the exception of the RS200 no Group B rally cars looked good but they were all God like creations....!

DJ

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
djstanley said:
The importance of this car is not it's looks nor it's power (500hp plus in rally form, 250hp in road form from the super and turbo charged 1.8.) It's importance is it's role in Group B rallying which only existed between 83 and 87, in short this car hit the rally stages in 85 immediately took a 1, 2 in the group B world rally championships, it was then on for winning the 86 Group B world championship when a fatal crash killed its driver and co-driver...that coupled with an earlier fatal group B crash involving a ford RS200 got Group B rallying axed but not before Audi, Ford, Lancia, Peugeot, Renault and Rover had produced rally cars that still remain faster than the rally cars of today....... with the exception of the RS200 no Group B rally cars looked good but they were all God like creations....!

DJ
They were very quick indeed; I have video of Henri Toivonen about to overtake a 6R4 mid-stage. But then as you say the rally of Portugal came and Toivonen didn't make it back out of the stage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts