Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I just bought a KKL interface and tried to do some diagnosis with Unidiag.
Car is 147 2.0ts 2001 with 93k kms.

Symptoms:
- Car is underpowered
- Low mpg
- Petrol smell at the back of the exhaust.

Unidiag says that Lambdas 1&2(sensor 1 bank 1 and sensor 1 bank 2) are faulty.Every now and then the MIL lights up, I clear it, run for a few kms and then the errors pop up again in Unidiag

Can both precat lambdas fail at the same time and especially at this low number of kms ?

I thought they would last around 160k kms ?

My cat has had some issues lately, when I took of the exhaust some ceramic bits flew out.
Can someone give me a starting point as I'd hate to waste money on new lambdas and find out the problem remains.

Would Bosal universal 4 wire lambdas fit and work properly ?

Many many thanks

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Lambda life is only around 60K miles ... so 96k kms ... according to Bosch site anyway ... so you're getting close. I replaced mine at 73K miles and it's gone at 134k ... and that's an NTK one .. wrong ohm rating!

Losing bits of the cat could mean it's blocking up, which would result in low power ...

I wouldn't bother with non-BOSCH lambda's they tend to be the wrong ohm rating but you can get universal BOSCH lambda's which you wire-in yourself ... LS615 I think. I've got one to fit to mine when I can get the old lambda out .. (and haven't got a gearbox less Pug 206 sitting in the garage!)

PS Just looked at the Bosal website ... http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/exh_cartype_search.php ... don't even list Lambda's so doubt if they make them .. if the do sell Bosal branded units, likelyhood is they are made by someone else ..

N

·
0 Posts
Without wanting to sound like a fool.... probably alot of other people as puzzling with the same... or maybe just me ;)

I think my lambda is in need a replacement, hence my loooking at the thread. Why do Bosch parts always get suggested and non OE items get slated? It seems the same on all electrical parts for Alfa's (MAF, etc). I understand cheap, cheap copies but as a brand NTK seems ok.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Some of us have tried NTK lambdas and not been happy. Since fitting mine I've constantly had error codes that weren't there with the original Lambda. Hunting around on the web (as you do) I read that the NTK lambdas only have 4 ohm ratings whereas Bosch are 8 ohms which might be why. Anyway my NTK is now failing as I'm not getting the normal "waves" under AlfaDiag when I test it under load. And I was only 0.005 under the lambda upper limit test on my MOT last week! .. a sure sign it's almost dead.

But the cost of a Bosch lambda is high compared with other brands ... which is why people try others ... in the end it's the old story "You pay your money and take your choice". There are lots around, but it's the same with the MAF and forum members have similar horror stories to tell about non-Bosch MAFS!

Anyway recently I was looking on the Bosch site and at their catalogue when I noticed they also sell a sensor with just the 4 wires (no connector block). This is sold as their Universal part and is the LS615. This same lambda is fitted to dozens of different makes ... I bought mine from a Vauxhall dealer's web site for £51 all in! Which is a lot less than the £70-£90 most people charge for a straight swap 156 lambda.

But as I said, I haven't fitted it yet 'cos I can't get the old one out ... so I can't yet confirm it works .. but I'm pretty sure it will.

PS I've got no affiliation to Bosch in anyway .. and none of my findings are particularly scientific .. just my own experience and reading other threads on this and another 156 forum.

Any it doesn't end at the electronics .. some of us have had suspension arms fail that aren't Alfa-branded, etc ... although in a lot of cases the OEM parts are made by the same companies ... maybe under slightly less stringent quality checks?!?

·
0 Posts
Well said Gazza :clap: - it is tempting to go for the cheaper option, but one of the great things about forums is folk sharing their experiences - the majority who have used non-Bosch items have not been happy in the long run
There was a question asked the other week - "if Bosch are so great , why are there so many failing MAF threads"
- in answer, you won't find any "my MAF is working great threads either" to compare :D

N

·
0 Posts
Cheers gents.:thumbs:
I have been tempted to stray from Bosch, but it's not like it's hundreds of pounds difference anyway. When I do the exhaust may as well do the lambda at the same time.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
One of the main reason for maf failure is not hoovering out the air box on services as when we were doing Alfa's they would not pay for a maf under warranty within a 1000 mile of a service....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts