Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
It saved me from having to photoshop them out. wink :D

Actually these were still "during" photos. I had the plates ready even though the car wasn't. The plates (both front and back) actually went on after the quickie photo session with the loaner (and low quality) camera. Of course, the car didn't actually go anywhere for months after that.
--Toronto

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Lovely lovely lovely lovely, Toronto. Tons of charm and heritage. :)

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
Red Barchetta... :D

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Very sexy car Toronto

@HANS! <a href="http://home.planet.nl/~rietv485/images/MijnSkoda2a.JPG" target="_blank">Nice Bella :D :D :D </a>

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong>@HANS! <a href="http://home.planet.nl/~rietv485/images/MijnSkoda2a.JPG" target="_blank">Nice Bella :D :D :D </a></strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's Lilly's Skoda, Jomor.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Thanks for all the nice words. And here I was expecting to get all sorts of grief for the poor quality of the photographs and the North American/Canadian front bumper.
--Toronto

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I cannot believe some one screwed that H-girder onto the front of such a beautiful car.
:rolleyes:
At least the shocking quality of the pictures obscures it a bit.
:rolleyes:
Whose car is it anyway?? Is it American??
:p
laughing laughing

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toronto Spider:
<strong>and the North American/Canadian front bumper.
--Toronto</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought about that Toronto but... it's not your fault... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
943 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toronto Spider:
<strong>Thanks for all the nice words. And here I was expecting to get all sorts of grief for the poor quality of the photographs and the North American/Canadian front bumper.
--Toronto</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi Toronto,

I hadn't noticed, but on closer inspection, eh, does the bumper eh (or do you Canucks say fender too?) actually cover the Alfa grill, eh? wink

But it is a lovely car nonetheless.

What series is it BTW? (as he displays his ignorance of Spider series) :rolleyes:

-Nick

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Nice car Toronto! and nice place, it's your home?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Che

Canadian language lesson. wink Around here bumper is the skinny bit (or formerly skinny bit when people could still design properly) at the front and back of the car. Fender is the major piece of sheet metal (or plastic these days) that covers the first third of the side of the car. wink :D The storage compartment at the rear is the trunk and the cover over the engine bay at the front is the hood. The top folds down to make it a convertible. wink

My car is a Series 2. I had to learn that myself to understand what AO people were talking about. We don't seem to use that designation over here -- it's usually just boat tail or square/kamm tail.

At some point in the early 70s (don't know the exact year)we had a government directive that stated that you must have a solid, one piece front bumper if you wanted to sell a car in this country. The Americans had a similar regulation. The joined bumper was Alfa's solution to the regulation. The series 2a cars (which I think were '74 or '75) had a solid, one piece black rubber bumper due to American 5 mph bumper rules.
(Actually, Canada currently has the most stringent bumper regulations in the world -- even more so than the Americans.)

Of course, what this means for me is that two piece chrome bumpers are really rare and impossible to find as parts. I had hoped to replace mine, when I first bought the car, but I had to make-do with the original ones. And the rubber bits that sit on top are equally impossible to replace. My rear ones should be replaced, but I've had no luck finding replacements. :(

A lot of the Spider owners around here have taken to converting their cars to European specs. They've removed the bumper joiner, have replaced the lenses, and made all sorts of little modifications. I decided against doing those things. I figure it started its life as a Canadian/North American Alfa, so it might as well stay that way.

I know it's not the most beautiful solution, but it is the one that most respects the character and history of this particular car. Plus, it's still illegal to remove the rubber bar, and with my luck I'd be pulled over by the one Alfisti, regulation-citing cop on the entire force who would ticket me for making an illegal modification. Then I'd be no better than those boy-racers and their tricked out imports. :D
--Toronto

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
:)
Good stuff Toronto!!
I presume you know the English equivalents:

hood = bonnet
fender = wing
trunk = boot
top = roof (or hood for real confusion!!)
wink

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RicksAlfas:
<strong> :)
Good stuff Toronto!!

hood = bonnet
fender = wing
trunk = boot
wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Rick
That's why I put in that bit about the top going down. I'm very familiar with the British hood. wink It's what happens when you end up reading too much old British fiction as a kid. You learn all these cool terms like "saloon" (which never gets used around here, outside of a Western), and then you have to figure out what the heck the writer was talking about. :D Of course, it just makes everything sound much more exotic and glamorous. :)
--Toronto

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RicksAlfas:
<strong> :)
Good stuff Toronto!!

hood = bonnet
fender = wing
trunk = boot
wink </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok, dont laugh..

whats the difference of "rim" and "alloy" ? :confused:

dont laugh i say :D

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jomor:
<strong>whats the difference of "rim" and "alloy"? </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You don't know the difference between a rim and an alloy :confused:

I'll tell you:
RimRenault is a member of AO and AlloyRenault isn't laughing

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
<strong>ok, dont laugh..

whats the difference of "rim" and "alloy" ? :confused:

dont laugh i say :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">laughing laughing laughing it's... laughing laughing laughing it's... laughing laughing laughing Oh I can't stop... laughing laughing wink

1 - 20 of 66 Posts