Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Zwartkops seems to do quite well - I wonder what the big difference is in terms of ability to generate revenue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I still remember clearly the day Dave McGregor was appointed MD of the Kayalami circuit and he told us at a MS2000 club meeting that the old concrete stands were to be demolished in favour of Bomas where the corporate crowd could entertain their clients, as it was more profitable and they were rid of the crowds which left them with two days worth of cleaning up after. So we ended up with the enthusiasts watching the racing at home on TV while the corporate guests came for the snacks and the booze.

Then we lost the tv coverage at any decent viewing time, and now track racing at Kayalami is dead in the water and the bomas are empty, overgrown with grass and the racing enthusiasts has been chased away.

Sponsors are not attracted by empty cicuits and low profile TV coverage, personally I think we would struggle to ever have the same type of crowds at Kayalami ever again like we had in the 70's and early 80's.

Swartkops have the attraction of open pits, thats what attract the crowds. Close Swartkop's pits up like Kayalami and see how the circuit will drain................

·
Registered
883 Posts
Maybe our very own mr 1 Zuma will take it and race his chickens and cows around his new Nkandalami.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The bomas were built at all the best viewing points where the corporate guests just got hammered on booze . This screwed the knowledgable fans from watching good racing .
Such a pity as its an unbelievable track to race on . Kyalami has also been limited in the last five years to how many " noise" days they could have and this greatly reduced their income . So when they did have a trackday or race the costs were Astronomical. I still remember as a kid watching my dad and Jackie Stewart going around the old track working out safety upgrades and types of barriers . My dad was involved with designing and building the original track in the 60s so its definitely gonna be an end of an era when the break it up.
This track will be dug up and more factories to be built - its inevitable .
If this happens rumour has it the this might make Zwartkops extend their track .

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
Whether the track survives depends on the winning bidder.

As the article say - hopefully an enthusiast buys it and fixes it, or atleast keep the track as is, or repair a little at a time. The worst case scenario for that entity, they can always get their money back (and some) it if it REALLY is not worth their while and then build an estate.

The worst case scenario is if a property developer buys it and immediately demolish it for an estate. If you look at the other estates 1/2 built in the immediate area (Waterfall / Blue Hill) - ANOTHER estate does not really make sense now - so fingers crossed...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Strange thing is if SA to get a Gp Bernie wanted it in Cape Town on some lashed up street circuit . What an absolute waste time and money . Another sad thing is phakhisa may also be be dying slow death .

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have been a motor racing fan all my life. I grew up in Milnerton and used to ride my bike (bicycle) all the way to Killarney to attend race meetings when I was a pik. No Montague Gardens or Caltex Refinery in those days it was all Port Jackson bush. IMHO they will never hold a GP at Kyalami. As with the World Cup, Bernie will insist on some fancy circuit in Cape Town that will cost billions, bankrupt the city and he will board the plane out of here with pockets full of dosh, just like the Septic Bladder did in 2010. Now we sit with a R4 Billion white elephant which we have to deal with for the next 25 years. I LOVE motor racing, I LOVE GP's but not here please.

PS I am very sorry to see the demise of Kyalami. I saw my only live GP there.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
As a high school kid I remember sleeping, under a canvas over a Kyalami stand, on friday nights, before Grands prix and 24 hour races. Chatting to pitcrew and walking the track and sharing views with like minded people till early saturday mornings. Years later planing my city trips from the farm to coincide with every months racing. Feeding my farm kids from a "skottel braai" next to the track. Regularly queing with the kids to get signitures and posters from the race drivers.

I know it is only business for some people. But there are just too many people who have a spoon in this plate. Everybody wants to skim the cream off the deals and put very little back. Airlines, hotels, public transport. Like with the worldcup, rates trippled comes a GP and 24hour race. Suddenly we have a race that cost Motorsport the same as a race in US, instead of being the cheap destination that could make us a favourite.

Government try to get the most out of this tax wise instead of giving tax reductions for good oversees impressions. Probably no available cash onder the table. Government ok street races, instead of supporting the people who put millions into race tracks for us the motorsport supporters.

Ticket prices tripple and the locals can not afford it. The stands are half empty. Just like the rugby unions, who should go belly-up for their bankrupt integrity. They live of the riches of selling TV rights to other countries and don't give a hoot for the sport or the people. They can not make rugby seats affordable enough for locals to fill the stadiums with the real rugby enthusiasts and pathetically the stands at 60% empty at large games. Because this is where the fathers and sons create the love for a sport. I wish Rugby to go the way of motorsport in SA, because they deserve it.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
1. Hopefully an enthusiast will buy it and try bring the race track back to a success
2. They don't demolish is immediately and let some races still happen - would like 1 last race there

·
Registered
975 Posts
wow. i wonder where to from here. on a greedy note, that would yield a healthy commission. :wow:
No commission as it was a liquidation sale.

I'm pretty sure Toby Venter will keep it as a race track and develop the place into a world-class circuit! I'm looking forward to racing there! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
No commission as it was a liquidation sale.

I'm pretty sure Toby Venter will keep it as a race track and develop the place into a world-class circuit! I'm looking forward to racing there! :thumbs:
it will be amazing for porsche - "come test drive a porsche, around kyalami"... :wow:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yeah I wonder what Porsche has planned for Kyalami. Its big money - so they must have something planned. Grass needs to be cut, stands needs maintenance and paint, track needs maintenance and tar, municipal bills etc.
Big expenses they need to cover.

I wonder if they might open a new franchise on Kyalami.

"Congratulations sir - here is your new GT3's keys and your free track pass"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts