Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a reputable place to download remapped programs for ecu,s.
I have seen adverts on ebay for discs with 3000 pre installed uprated ecu remaps but i would rather poke pins in my eyes than go anywhere near anybody's car with those.
Does anyone know where i can find trusted ecu flashes to download.?
I have found one place but its a foreign site so im a little dubious.

BY-BRAND-100x100-TESTED Car Power tuning - tested remapped files

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
looks like your paying a tenner for the same stuff on the ebay cd!

go to the red dot remapping day for 180quid if cost is an issue, or use one of the other tuners on here, ahm shouldn't be that far away.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know how to use kwp2000. And i would make a back up of the original map. A local tuner to me just downloads remaps from somewhere on the net. I would just like to know from a business aspect. Its something i would like to do. But obviously i would not try to install anything untrusted.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hi,

I'd be very interested to know how you get on here, its something I have thought about myself. I agree with your premice that the tuners must get their maps from somewhere. Whilst I am sure the best guys tweak their own specific maps based on experience, there's no way everyone gets the opportunity to develop their own map from the ground up for every vehicle?!?!?

If it were me I would grab a few CD's from eBay and compare the maps in the first instance, between each other. If all 100 are the same, you know it's junk. Then I would try to compare the one for a specific car against a backup of a manufacturer ECU. If you can clearly see similarities just slight changes in fueling etc. then it bodes well... you probably do have to be prepared to waste a few quid on CDs though.

Have you got the KWP2000 interface? I would really like to know what parameters you can set on an Alfa (Bosch) ECU?

Cheers,

Chris

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hi,

I'd be very interested to know how you get on here, its something I have thought about myself. I agree with your premice that the tuners must get their maps from somewhere. Whilst I am sure the best guys tweak their own specific maps based on experience, there's no way everyone gets the opportunity to develop their own map from the ground up for every vehicle?!?!?

If it were me I would grab a few CD's from eBay and compare the maps in the first instance, between each other. If all 100 are the same, you know it's junk. Then I would try to compare the one for a specific car against a backup of a manufacturer ECU. If you can clearly see similarities just slight changes in fueling etc. then it bodes well... you probably do have to be prepared to waste a few quid on CDs though.

Have you got the KWP2000 interface? I would really like to know what parameters you can set on an Alfa (Bosch) ECU?

Cheers,

Chris
And how are you going to compare those files?:lol:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You tell me! There must be some software that interprets them into clear parameters... or do established tuners use some zen art to automatically make adjustments?

Yes there are,but the cheapest one cost £3500.00 and at that price you can only "look",if you modify it will be wrong as there will be no checksum correction.
As i have tried to explain in this forum in previous threads,tuners that make their own files spend in excess of 10K in editing software alone.:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well someone out there is making a fortune then because there is no way the software should cost anyone that much, thats not to imply it doesn't btw...

Having had a quick look there seem to be a couple of well established ECU programs on the net varying between being free and costing several hundreds pounds, but the real value appears to be the definition file that contains the illustrious parameters! Unfortunatly none in sight for Alfa... if we all owned E36 BMW's we'd be sorted!

That said I've more or less cured my desire to see what kind of parameters there are... that being an awful lot... as would be expected.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I will not try and explain(as it would be very dificult)as to why it is not as simple as you think to make the part of the software that shows you the "PARAMETERS", in real numbers,but what i will tell you is that for every different software version,even for the same ecu in the identical model car,you need a different "driver".:)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes I do get that, which is why I said the value is in the definition file, that explains that value one corresponds to parameter such and such and has a range of x and that value two coresponds to etc. etc. So if the £10k buys you a continuous update of that information from the manufacturers, then that would make sense...

I maintain however that someone, probably a combination of Bosch and the manufacturers... make a lot of money through all their smoke and mirrors... because at the heart of it there's nothing that should be hugely complicated.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi chris.
It is very possible to remap your car using kwp2000. Infact there is a member on here who has successfuly remap his jtd using the ebay software. There is no way to see the parameters unfortunately. So it is just trial and error. It look a few attempts to actually physicaly feel a gain after installing a few different maps. But he did manage to get his jtd putting out 196 bhp. Or there abouts. Rolling road proven. So it can be done.
Now i fully understand that a propper rolling road remap is the best route to take. But if like myself your car is not modified in any way. And you just want better throttle response and more torque a simple re map is the way forward. And cheaper alternative.
It can be done. It is just a simple case of finding a reliable source to download the maps from.
If i am successfull in finding a good source i will other a remap to fellow alfa owners for £50. This cost will cover the price for downloading the map and cover my cost for the hardware.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is possible as a tuner local to me uses this process. If buys the remap from a german company. Downloads it. Then writes it to your ecu using kwp2000. Then charges you £250 for it. Now im not against tuners making money. But if you can do it yourself. Why not.?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
you can open the map files with winols which you can download for free, but I doubt very much it will make little sense, having watched Red Dot remap with other software, and seen the slight increases here and there, you would really need to know what you are looking at and where to have any idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi crespo

What cars have you done so far with your kwp2000 ?

I think your offer for a £50 remap is very generous, I wold have thought £100-£150 for the older ecu types more appropriate. This will allow you to buy a decent map and have something left over for the occasional ecu lockup you will have to sort out, ebay kwp2000 have a habit of biting you in the ****!!!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Hi crespo

What cars have you done so far with your kwp2000 ?

I think your offer for a £50 remap is very generous, I wold have thought £100-£150 for the older ecu types more appropriate. This will allow you to buy a decent map and have something left over for the occasional ecu lockup you will have to sort out, ebay kwp2000 have a habit of biting you in the ****!!!
You will be very lucky if you find somebody to recover a locked or dead ecu due to bad flash for so little money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like i said earlier.we recover Alfa ecu's:lol:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Cant see a map bought for £50 will be much good
well known tuners would never sell maps for that sort of money or just to any body
on ebay etc
Like Gus says good softwear cost money the same in most cases for maps

·
Registered
123 Posts
well i have kwp2000 and a s*itload of maps for the 155 upto the 164, including 156, 147 etc etc. I wouldn't risk trying it on my own car but i am planning on buying a cheap alfa to test it out on. if it doesnt work i'll be giving ALFA TUNER some business ;) found another few ecu remapping programs too but not so sure on them....

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are right not to try load that s#it into your ecu!! especially as many of those programs have been formatted for different programming tools...load it...and it's *ocked!..which makes Alfatuner happy:lol:

Don't despair if you are serious about a second car to mess about with get a diesel, much more fun as they are more responsive to tuning and more forgiving in programming!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
you need to be careful with what you do, and understand you do so at your own risk.

There are some great gains to be had for pennies, but most of what you get can be improved on with a proper map.

Horses for courses, it can be done on the cheap (it doesn'tmean a knackered ecu), but there are risks attatched.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts