Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Koni suspension

1203 Views 16 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Phase3dude
Just wondering has anyone run koni sports on front and koni streets on rear would there be a major difference in handling on a v6 with standard springs.

Thanks
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Hmmm 916 suspension needs to be set up right, my concern would be to unbalance it by sports up front and street rear. The sports are adjustable too. Just my thoughts. 馃崁馃崁馃崁
Whilst on the subject.... Have you considered the Alfaholics handling kit....... 馃槉馃槉馃崁

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm 916 suspension needs to be set up right, my concern would be to unbalance it by sports up front and street rear. The sports are adjustable too. Just my thoughts. 馃崁馃崁馃崁
Whilst on the subject.... Have you considered the Alfaholics handling kit....... 馃槉馃槉馃崁
I know when i wrote it sounds silly i should know better with my mechanical knowledge but it was a thought. I only realised after posting and searching too that the sports are adjustable so even worse combo in retrospect. Anyway yeh looked into handling kit sounds superb and heard good feedback but cant justify spending 550+ its a lot of cash. Im gonna fit powerflex bushes to arb though so it will be a good improvement.

Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
I'd say yes, Street rear Sport front would be fine, just tweak the front damping until the car is how you want it. Hell, spend half the money and just get KYB rears, Sport front. The V6 up front is what demands the extra damping ratio control. Mine is sweet with Street front KYB rear.

Registered
Sportsdampers on standard springs will work just fine. And better: save ride height with good damping. 馃憣

Standard dempers are biased to comfort. Stronger dampers make the ride more controlled.
I have Koni Yellow front and rear in combination with front Eibach springs and standard spring on the rear.

Registered
Yes similar to my p3 v6.. Koni sport front and rear eibach - 20mm springs on front standard springs on rear with Alfaholics handling kit.
Just remember with koni sport fronts set to softest then click back 1 notch!! 馃崁馃崁馃崁馃崁

Registered
I know you don't have the Alfaholics handling kit, but I believe their recommendation is Koni sports up front, standard springs all round, standard dampers at the rear.

Discussed in the first few minutes of a Ricks garage video:

I have Koni Sport fronts, STR.T rears (bought before I realised they are probably overkill), standard springs and Alfaholics kit... although I haven't driven it since changing to the STR.T rears...

Malc.

Registered
Rick (from his Garage) has Koni Yellow front and rear. He doesn't complain about them at all.
I don't either. I have them on soft setting at the rear with standard springs and I am going to put them more firm.

@ the front I have Eibach for Phase1 cars which are longer. In combination with Fase2/3 struts it lowers just 15mm on a V6. Eibach states a lowering if 20mm regardless of TS or V6 but in reality it was 30mm on my car which was to much.

About the OEM springs, I think it is 100% true! They give the best ride for the general road conditions we meet in every day driving.

Registered
I find that 20mm lowered on front give the p3 much better stance than standard height. I think it is the p3 drop nose that makes - 20mm look right. With standard height the dropped nose just too high and doesn't flow as well from the lines of the bonnet. 馃崁馃崁

Registered
I find that 20mm lowered on front give the p3 much better stance than standard height. I think it is the p3 drop nose that makes - 20mm look right. With standard height the dropped nose just too high and doesn't flow as well from the lines of the bonnet. 馃崁馃崁
No, that is not typically P3, it is for all 916.

But stance and comfortable driving/good behavior are two different things.

For the LOOKS the front has to be lower than standard, rear OEM.
But for general USE the OEM heights are best, no doubt about it.

Registered
@Leebluegtv did you get sorted in the end?

Done about 100 miles on my newly refurbished rear end with the STR.Ts. Ride is firm, as it always was, but still supple. The big change is that ride seem a lot less crashy... although that is probably due to all the joints and pivots having been replaced/lubed etc. rather than the damper swap. But I am certainly happy with them.

Best of luck with the upgrade work,
Malc.

Registered
I think not... I had a pair of front struts for P1 916. Sold them with just 5.000km on them in favor of Koni Sports.
On normal height they where good but lowered it was drama because of to small (build in) bump stops.
I had some on rear before replaced them with koni sport when rear suspension rebuilt. They were good. 馃崁馃崁馃崁

1 - 17 of 17 Posts