Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had upgraded their suspension to Koni front shocks? If so can you give me any advice regarding the upgrade? I mean what's the difference? Harder softer, less roll etc????? Its only another £60 all in but I think the cars ride is hard enough.

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
I would strongly recommend you change all four to Koni Sports shocks. The OE rears are notorious for packing up, and are in any event quite feeble in providing a firm but compliant ride, giving instead the usual characteristic Alfa 'roll' that in this day and age is quite unacceptable.

In short, the OE shocks on the 916 cars are crap.:lol:

The trick with the Koni Sports is to put the rears on the softest setting before fitting, as you can't adjust them once fitted. The softest setting is good enough for the rear, quite firm and compliant but also giving a much more assured ride, even over broken services. On the fronts you can adjust at will with the key provided, Koni suggest one half-turn for the GTV, this is probably a good idea with the V6. Overall though the improvement in ride and handling is quite dramatic, and you really will be surprised at the huge improvement in ride and handling.

Since you have the V6, you already enjoy a better (and slightly lower) ride than the TS. I would suggest you retain the original springs if you're just after a better ride, with handling perhaps a lower priority. However, if the springs are high mileage then I would consider getting the Eibach Prokit at the same time as fitting the shocks (no extra labour charge as the old springs must come off anyway when fitting new shocks). You will then enjoy another quantum leap in improvement over the dreaded OE crap. Remember the Prokit springs are only a 20mm drop from standard, so nothing too chavvy, but as I say compliance is improved further, indeed the GTV will even drive better over broken surfaces than before.

But whatever you do, change all the shocks, and most certainly ditch the rear shocks, total and utter garbage fit only, strangely enough, for the garbage can:lol:

·
Registered
137 Posts
i have the koni sports kit all round on mines, with the eibach -20mm sports springs....and its awesome..

one note, i also powerflexed my whole car and this is like a go-cart compared to the upgraded suspension elements....i would absolutely invest in a full powerflex kit too...more than worth every penny

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
i have the koni sports kit all round on mines, with the eibach -20mm sports springs....and its awesome..

one note, i also powerflexed my whole car and this is like a go-cart compared to the upgraded suspension elements....i would absolutely invest in a full powerflex kit too...more than worth every penny
Agreed!

·
Registered
137 Posts
And then when you've ripped out the shocks and springs, burnt and banged out the dodgy old bushes and everything feels much better, you can then do a very cheap, quick and effective further upgrade on the front by fitting a top strut brace. Nothing fancy, something like a Sparco will do, easy to fit (perhaps with a little shaving of the brake reservoir fins to make it fit ok). This improves the front geometry quite dramatically, but then you are looking at a very basic set-up of just lower wishbones, so it really needs all the support you can give it.

Once you've done all this you may have a 916 Alfa that moderately resembles a sports car in the handling department, just the way it should have been in the first place from the factory! Got to be a huge improvement from the wobbly crap you're driving around in at the moment:lol:
haha....i did already, and totally forgot to point this out haha

and yes, i had to have the brake res moved...bit of a pain but well worth it :)

http://www.vincewatson.com/car/gtvstrut.jpg

i even bought the lower 156 strut brace as it fits the gtv, but due to my -20mm drop it was just far too low and hitting every bump....so its up for sale.

J

·
0 Posts
haha....i did already, and totally forgot to point this out haha

and yes, i had to have the brake res moved...bit of a pain but well worth it :)

http://www.vincewatson.com/car/gtvstrut.jpg

i even bought the lower 156 strut brace as it fits the gtv, but due to my -20mm drop it was just far too low and hitting every bump....so its up for sale.
Vince do you know if the 156 lower brace will fit the 2.0 spiders/GTVs as well?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just powerflexed and renewed the strutes at the rear! I know I need new front wishbones aswell. I was thinking of doing the lot. I would need to buy new wishbones and powerflex them. The bottom ball joint could go then I would be doing the job twice right?

I think I will go for the Koni struts then when the rear ones go replace with Koni. Thanks for all the advice guys!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I just powerflexed and renewed the strutes at the rear! I know I need new front wishbones aswell. I was thinking of doing the lot. I would need to buy new wishbones and powerflex them. The bottom ball joint could go then I would be doing the job twice right?
Yep - thats the argument for not powerflexing the fronts - but some have and are happy with it. Perhaps they haven't checked the balljoints ...

I've fitted Konis to the rear only(until funds allow). Great improvement, no detriment to ride & no problem with the fronts still being originals.

People say Bilsteins are the best but Konis are cheaper & seem fine.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My GTV is lowered with -40mm Novitec springs and I still have the OE dampers.

I want to change them, but hesitate between Koni Sport and Bilstein B6. Wich one do you recommend me ?
With a 40mm drop you will need the Bilstein B8 not B6 and are regarded as some of the best shocks.. second to Koni FSD.. either of these and you can't go wrong. :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Koni FSD needs to be mount with OE springs, not lowered...

And Bilstein B8 does not exist for GTV :cry: ... Only have the choice between Bilstein B6 and Koni Sport.

Does the B6 really better ? Because they're more expensive (140€ more !)
I'm sure you wouldn't notice the difference in performance. I think Bilstein are renowned for best quality & reliability - but don't know of any particular issues with Koni so I'd be tempted to say save the money.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Koni FSD needs to be mount with OE springs, not lowered...

And Bilstein B8 does not exist for GTV :cry: ... Only have the choice between Bilstein B6 and Koni Sport.

Does the B6 really better ? Because they're more expensive (140€ more !)
From what i have read Koni FSD is being developed with a shorter stroke for lower springs..

B6 is for up to 30mm drop

Koni sports are held in high regard!
BTW i have the B8's... really really good

·
Registered
22 Posts
My experience with Bilstein B6's and Koni on GTV916 V6

From what i have read Koni FSD is being developed with a shorter stroke for lower springs..

B6 is for up to 30mm drop

Koni sports are held in high regard!
BTW i have the B8's... really really good
My input on B6 vers Koni (tried both)
Last year I upgraded my GTV V6 from the OEM setup to B6´s – front and back and replaced the original springs with HR 30mm lowering springs. I think the car stands much to tall with original setup and need to be lowered to look, and act, like a real sport car!

The B6 is setup to have the best combination of comfort and sporty behavior. Comfortable in the normal range and sporty/firm when pushed. What interesting is that the B6 is best combined with standard hight springs, but can take a lowering up to max 30 mm – got this from Bilsteins website.
I lowered the car to the dampers max and I think it makes them perform less optimal than it would on OEM springs.
You don´t get quite as much comfort in the normal range, since the damper sits so low in the stroke, making the damper behave as being driven to the limit... even though your just driving at cruise speed (sorry for my lackfull english, I hope you get the point)
Still it´s a great upgrade and makes the bar corner much better.
But I believe B6 is rated to be 10-15% stiffer than OEM. With 30mm lowering springs I would rate them 30-40% stiffer, maybe more.
A real shame the B8's not out there for the GTV!

Well, the B6 didn´t quite give me the look I wanted for the car, since the front end still stood to high, actually I the 30mm lowering wasn't visible at all – it did work somewhat at the back – so my car ended up looking like I had filled the trunk with garden bricks :lol:
Not funny, actually... since it made the car handle real bad with no front wheel grib/traction at all.

So I found a hight adjustable coil over suspension that came with a TÜV approval – we need that in Denmark :rolleyes:
This was the suspension I got:
Secure UK tuning store Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati

Eventhough it´s produced by FK it´s all Koni Sport inside.
Well, how did it perform?
It did nail the right look and the car now "stands" fantastic with the exact amount of air above the tires to the chassis it should have been born with, but damn it rides like at pile of bricks. This suspension is totally unsuitable for everyday road use and should be used for track days only.
Absolutely no comfort at all, it´s like riding on top of a hard rubber ball. Bouncing constantly. It´s like the only suspension there is, are the tires! :mad:
Of cause I can´t say if this isn´t because of the coil over setup, maybe the Koni Sport dampers perform well with a normal setup of separate dampers and spring?

So I still haven't found the right setup and will probably go back to the B6, but with a Novitec 40mm lowering spring in the front and my H&R 30mm in the back. Hopefully that will get the nose down, give grip and make the car look right.

I'll keep you posted if I find the right setup :lol:
– and I´ll track this post if you get there before me :D

Cheers from Denmark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: My experience with Bilstein B6's and Koni on GTV916 V6

My input on B6 vers Koni (tried both)
Last year I upgraded my GTV V6 from the OEM setup to B6´s – front and back and replaced the original springs with HR 30mm lowering springs. I think the car stands much to tall with original setup and need to be lowered to look, and act, like a real sport car!

The B6 is setup to have the best combination of comfort and sporty behavior. Comfortable in the normal range and sporty/firm when pushed. What interesting is that the B6 is best combined with standard hight springs, but can take a lowering up to max 30 mm – got this from Bilsteins website.
I lowered the car to the dampers max and I think it makes them perform less optimal than it would on OEM springs.
You don´t get quite as much comfort in the normal range, since the damper sits so low in the stroke, making the damper behave as being driven to the limit... even though your just driving at cruise speed (sorry for my lackfull english, I hope you get the point)
Still it´s a great upgrade and makes the bar corner much better.
But I believe B6 is rated to be 10-15% stiffer than OEM. With 30mm lowering springs I would rate them 30-40% stiffer, maybe more.
A real shame the B8's not out there for the GTV!

Well, the B6 didn´t quite give me the look I wanted for the car, since the front end still stood to high, actually I the 30mm lowering wasn't visible at all – it did work somewhat at the back – so my car ended up looking like I had filled the trunk with garden bricks :lol:
Not funny, actually... since it made the car handle real bad with no front wheel grib/traction at all.

So I found a hight adjustable coil over suspension that came with a TÜV approval – we need that in Denmark :rolleyes:
This was the suspension I got:
Secure UK tuning store Alfa, Ferrari, Fiat, Lamborghini, Lancia, Maserati

Eventhough it´s produced by FK it´s all Koni Sport inside.
Well, how did it perform?
It did nail the right look and the car now "stands" fantastic with the exact amount of air above the tires to the chassis it should have been born with, but damn it rides like at pile of bricks. This suspension is totally unsuitable for everyday road use and should be used for track days only.
Absolutely no comfort at all, it´s like riding on top of a hard rubber ball. Bouncing constantly. It´s like the only suspension there is, are the tires! :mad:
Of cause I can´t say if this isn´t because of the coil over setup, maybe the Koni Sport dampers perform well with a normal setup of separate dampers and spring?

So I still haven't found the right setup and will probably go back to the B6, but with a Novitec 40mm lowering spring in the front and my H&R 30mm in the back. Hopefully that will get the nose down, give grip and make the car look right.

I'll keep you posted if I find the right setup :lol:
– and I´ll track this post if you get there before me :D

Cheers from Denmark
In theory, you should have soft, long springs in the front and hard, short springs in the back to get best grip on the innerwheel of a front wheel drive car. The car will be tripod-ing (inner rear wheel in the air on sharp an quick bends) which means it has the optimal set up. SO just by readin your text, 40mm shorter springs in the front will basically not leave any strut travel left. this will make the inner wheel spin more. If you want grip in the front, start with the rear end:thumbs:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: My experience with Bilstein B6's and Koni on GTV916 V6

In theory, you should have soft, long springs in the front and hard, short springs in the back to get best grip on the innerwheel of a front wheel drive car. The car will be tripod-ing (inner rear wheel in the air on sharp an quick bends) which means it has the optimal set up. SO just by readin your text, 40mm shorter springs in the front will basically not leave any strut travel left. this will make the inner wheel spin more. If you want grip in the front, start with the rear end:thumbs:
Yes that sounds logical :)
But my problem with grip/traction isn't as much when cornering as just going straight forward, especially from a stand still or just trying to accelerate on a slight inclined road.
I just experience I lost traction when I went from the OEM suspension to the B6's with the 30mm lowering spring, due to the fact that the car stood so high in the front afterwards, that I felt like driving uphill even on a flat road :confused:
And since acceleration straight forward from a standstill lead to massive wheel spin even when being very careful with the throttle, I just theorized that the lack of traction was due to the high front end, pushing the weight backwards and not leaving enough weight on the front axel to give adequate road traction... does that sound all crazy?

The FK coil over/Koni suspension HAS cured my traction problem, but it´s just to damn hard :mad:

Question thought:
Wouldn't it make sense to have the front pointing slightly down wards compared to the back, to keep weight on the front wheels for grip/traction/acceleration?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts