Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car came back home on Tuesday. I finished putting back the rear seats the rear shelves supports etc late at night. In reality I was present at my engineer's, because I wanted to make sure that he would tighten the struts according to Koni's recommendations (35nm front and 50nm rear).
At first Fruity is right. The car now (after 200kms) stands taller. 0,5 cm in front, and 0,8 rear. When I brought it home it was 1 cm front, and 1,2 rear (I had measured it before going to the service). I hope it settles lower because it looks uglier now. The first impression is that the suspension is taught but responsive. It goes over bumps and ''ditches'' firmly, but you don't hear the familiar knocking that made me nearly stop when I saw them. I have read from users that fsd struts need about 500 kms to show their merits, so I'll give the full ''review'' then. Another thing I begin to realise is that these cars are not made for 215/45/17 tyres but for the fatter 205/55/16. I think that in my next change I'll give them a try and since I'll get new rims, I'll try 215/50/16 which I think is the best of both worlds. In that case of course I'll get 7'' rims because the 16'' inch teledials are 6,5'' (I think). These days 16'' rims are very cheap in comparison to the past (not more than 300 euros for 4). If we take into consideration that 205 or 215/50s are about 260, the whole purchase will not cost more than 60 euros more than my four 215/45/17 Good Year F3 (500 euros).

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Good you got them on and without any mishap. Just a word about tyres; be aware that fitting the 215 tyres on a 6" rim will change how the tyre sits on the rim. Expect the tyres to roll at the shoulders which may promote wear in the centre. This is obviously the opposite of what people with drift cars tend to do as they stretch fairly narrow tyres onto a very wide rim. Obviously doing so in this case will be nothing like as significant a change but if your car tends to wear the centre of the tread then expect to run slightly lower tyre pressure to compensate. I figure adjusting tyre pressure to wear evenly is probably best as the grip must be spread fairly evenly so surely that gives best grip.

Then again, you may not experience any difference so this has been a waste of time. What dampers did you have before again (I thought it was B6- I'm sure you considered having them serviced) and how old were they?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good you got them on and without any mishap. Just a word about tyres; be aware that fitting the 215 tyres on a 6" rim will change how the tyre sits on the rim. Expect the tyres to roll at the shoulders which may promote wear in the centre. This is obviously the opposite of what people with drift cars tend to do as they stretch fairly narrow tyres onto a very wide rim. Obviously doing so in this case will be nothing like as significant a change but if your car tends to wear the centre of the tread then expect to run slightly lower tyre pressure to compensate. I figure adjusting tyre pressure to wear evenly is probably best as the grip must be spread fairly evenly so surely that gives best grip.

Then again, you may not experience any difference so this has been a waste of time. What dampers did you have before again (I thought it was B6- I'm sure you considered having them serviced) and how old were they?
As I say I intend to put them on 7'' rims

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you know are the Koni Active shocks the same length as original shocks? The front FSDs for the 156 were slightly longer than original, I'm wondering if this is also the case for the Actives.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
From what nik61 has posted, they appear to be longer and I posted an 8mm ride height increase when I fitted Koni Str.T which probably use the same housings.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Hope your Koni special active work out well. From my experience of changing shocks I have used Bilstein B4 and they work really well. Ride height is perfect and price is reasonable.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Would make sense that the Active housings are same as old FSDs. From a brief bit of web searching, it would appear that the new shocks are actually identical to the old apart from a more robust valve assembly.
I like Koni shocks for driving but the paint finish on the housings appears to be a weak point. Hope they have improved this on their recent products.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The built quality seems excellent. Anyway in my country we never had any problems of rusty parts due to the weather conditions mainly).

·
Registered
539 Posts
The built quality seems excellent.
My limited personal experience with Koni dampers is that after a couple of years the seals will probably start to leak a bit, and they will lose their gas pressure. However, they will still work really well...

Regards,
John.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts