Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I'm actually fairly happy with the ride-quality of my Giulietta, but for those of you looking to improve the roadholding of your G, Koni has finally produced a FSD kit for the Giuli:

The part number is 2100-4185

I used these on my 147, and they were really, really good - they completely removed the tendency of the 147 to crash over bumps. The road-holding was superb; my only small gripe would be that they offered a higher overall resistance (=firmer ride) than the stock dampers.

FSDs are special in that they're relatively soft for high-frequency movement (like road cracks, expansion-joints, etc), but a lot firmer for low-frequency movements, like those resulting from cornering. Basically, you get the good parts of a firm suspension setup without the back-breaking shudder over broken surfaces.

Only downside is that they're not cheap, and they're not adjustable (that mightn't be a downside, depending on your experience)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now, I'm actually fairly happy with the ride-quality of my Giulietta, but for those of you looking to improve the roadholding of your G, Koni has finally produced a FSD kit for the Giuli:

The part number is 2100-4185

I used these on my 147, and they were really, really good - they completely removed the tendency of the 147 to crash over bumps. The road-holding was superb; my only small gripe would be that they offered a higher overall resistance (=firmer ride) than the stock dampers.

FSDs are special in that they're relatively soft for high-frequency movement (like road cracks, expansion-joints, etc), but a lot firmer for low-frequency movements, like those resulting from cornering. Basically, you get the good parts of a firm suspension setup without the back-breaking shudder over broken surfaces.

Only downside is that they're not cheap, and they're not adjustable (that mightn't be a downside, depending on your experience)
Hi,
Koni's web site says nothing about FSDs for the 940. Could you point us a link?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to this link, KONI: Shop , and choose Make (Alfa Romeo), Model (Giulietta) and Type (Giulietta).

There are two sets of results, just look at the "Year" column to be sure: Giulietta 940 is "10-16".

·
Authorised Trader
343 Posts

·
Authorised Trader
343 Posts
We have these Koni's in stock ready for dispatch. Our pricing includes next day delivery (Mainland UK)

Please follow the link below (just waiting to upload the photos).

ALFA ROMEO GIULIETTA STEERING AND SUSPENSION KONI SHOCK ABSORBERS - KON21004185 - FSD KIT

Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Done! The FSDs are installed.

The first and immediate impression is a big WOW. Did only a few miles so far, but I feel it steers and handles much better. The steering feedback is better and the overall communication of the car as well. It is also more composed in a sense that it is "ironing" the uneven road, where I used to bounce around much more. It may feel a little firmer but for my like.
I was looking for this setup for some time now and I can truly say that it is the exact upgrade the GQV chassis needs, when looking for better handling without the lowering factor that I can’t relate to.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
so they're not likely worn then. I had been thinking about the FSD's fora while, but thereality is I have my dynamic dampers with 74,000 km and a set of qv dampers with 100,000 km, so it doesn't make financial sense to get new.

·
Registered
358 Posts
just found this old topic, and indeed FSD is available for the 940 Giulietta.

I am considering to replace, somehwere in coming months, my QV dampers by something else - Bilstein B6, Koni Sport or Koni FSD.
Pro for the FSD is the (supposedly) more comfortable drive whilst still being stiff in cornering. My main objective is reduce bodyroll and better steering into corners; as stiffer ARB's are not available for the Giulietta, other dampers are only option (my QV already has Novitec -30mm springs).

Are there in the meantime more Giulietta drivers who have FSD installed and can share their experiences?
Or have driven with both B6 as well as FSD and can inform us on the differences between those?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
just found this old topic, and indeed FSD is available for the 940 Giulietta.

I am considering to replace, somehwere in coming months, my QV dampers by something else - Bilstein B6, Koni Sport or Koni FSD.
Pro for the FSD is the (supposedly) more comfortable drive whilst still being stiff in cornering. My main objective is reduce bodyroll and better steering into corners; as stiffer ARB's are not available for the Giulietta, other dampers are only option (my QV already has Novitec -30mm springs).

Are there in the meantime more Giulietta drivers who have FSD installed and can share their experiences?
Or have driven with both B6 as well as FSD and can inform us on the differences between those?

Thanks!
Bilstein B8s

·
Registered
358 Posts
As far as I know, B8 and B6 are equal - only difference being that B6 supports up to 30mm lowering, and B8 as of 30mm lowering.
That's why I did not explicitly mention B8.

But then again: I expect B6/B8 to be harsher than FSD (I have B8 under my GTA, and are great by the way) so I was looking for experiences with FSD and especially on experiences on the differences between FSD and Bilstein.
Hoping the FSD would be comparable when put under pressure, eg in 'spirited driving' but more comfortable for small bumps?

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as I know, B8 and B6 are equal - only difference being that B6 supports up to 30mm lowering, and B8 as of 30mm lowering.
That's why I did not explicitly mention B8.

But then again: I expect B6/B8 to be harsher than FSD (I have B8 under my GTA, and are great by the way) so I was looking for experiences with FSD and especially on experiences on the differences between FSD and Bilstein.
Hoping the FSD would be comparable when put under pressure, eg in 'spirited driving' but more comfortable for small bumps?
I've got B8's with Eibach springs and the ride is a only little harsher on rough roads compared to stock but the on the freeway it's smooth as silk and in corning it's glued to the road with very little body roll. The Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty and are inverted monotubes vs twintubes for the Konis. I think it's going to hard to find someone who's had experience with both on a G to be able to compare and at the end of day it going to come down to personnel preference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FSD - springs

Done! The FSDs are installed.

The first and immediate impression is a big WOW. Did only a few miles so far, but I feel it steers and handles much better. The steering feedback is better and the overall communication of the car as well. It is also more composed in a sense that it is "ironing" the uneven road, where I used to bounce around much more. It may feel a little firmer but for my like.
I was looking for this setup for some time now and I can truly say that it is the exact upgrade the GQV chassis needs, when looking for better handling without the lowering factor that I can’t relate to.
Hello,

have you installed the FSD with the original springs of QV, or is it kit including its own ones?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am considering to replace the shock absorbers from stock to Koni FSD. And the springs from stock to Elibach pro lowered springs on my Year 2013 Giulietta 1.4T 170hp. What do you think about it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohhh... Do you have any recommendation of a full set of good handling, less body roll and comfort ride shock absorbers and springs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts