Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found info about this new product of Koni. They introduced FSD dampers (Frequency Selective Damping). These dampers should adjust their characteristics based on the driving conditions and style. If it works and will not cost thousands of EUR, it might be the right thing for Alfas :)

Some quotes from Koni:

„No electronics or sensors are used. The FSD technology is based purely on hydraulics“

„FSD shock absorbers; a smart suspension system adjusting automatically to road conditions as well as driving style. And all of this in a fraction of a second. FSD guarantees greater stability, greater control and thus greater driving pleasure. FSD shock absorbers; a smart suspension system adjusting automatically to road conditions as well as driving style. And all of this in a fraction of a second. FSD guarantees greater stability, greater control and thus greater driving pleasure.“

„A revolutionary new technique which combines the benefits of firm and comfortable suspension in a single perfect shock absorber. Firm for sporty driving on even road surfaces. Comfortable for a smooth ride on uneven road surfaces.“

See: http://www.koni.com/FSD/index.html

·
Registered
668 Posts
Doesn't look like they're making them for Alfas at the moment. A quick search on ebay shows a general price of around $700 for all the other models.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
they make them for the 147 available at www.europerformance.co.uk

I emailed them a few weeks ago about pairing the dampers with eibach springs and they said they would 'dramatically' improve the handling of my car. this is the way to go then but they aint cheap.

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
From whayt
I can see, there is little difference on price between the FSD and Koni sport Adjustables (yellow). And I wish I could get a set of good Koni for the price of FSD in the UK (live in Australia)

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was almost decided for Billstein B8, but now when I see the new Konis for the same price as Billsteins I am not sure. I would love to hear some real life experience with these Konis, not necessarily on Alfa.

Those of you who have any experience with Koni, what is they lifetime and durability? I heard here some stories about yellow Konis leaking after 3-6 months of road use.

·
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mave said:
Very interesting, doesn't give you much hint about how it actually works though :(
Here is more info:

"How does FSD work?
In standard shock absorbers, the main damping characteristic is defined by the oil flow going through the piston assembly. In the patented FSD system KONI has added a special valve which controls an oil flow parallel to the one going through the piston. The FSD feature closes this parallel oil flow, giving a rise in damping force almost linear to the time that the piston is moving in one direction.

Put simply, the FSD feature is a hydraulic amplifier that delays the build up of pressure. It could also be described as an extra tuning option, created in order to get the best possible combination of handling and comfort. Since it is an integrated part of the hydraulic valve system inside the damper, no additional cables, sensors, or electronics are needed to operate an FSD damper.

According to KONI, FSD is the simplest, most economical way to significantly improve the ride and driving characteristics of every car. FSD provides a smart suspension system which adjusts automatically to road conditions as well as driving style."

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I think it says it all that they are the dampers of choice on the Lamborghini Gallardo.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So has anyone tried and tested them...

ps: I am still wondering what to get...

The Koni-FSDs for my 147 are a bit less then 500Euro

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
They do the dampers for the GT, I have been considering a similar route to the Golf dude, my GT with AD coilovers whilst great on a trackday are pretty harsh day to day, the rear has never been right IMO, limited travel and a touch bouncy ( should have got the adjustable kit ) , so I have been looking to go for a softer setup with good dampers along with uprated ARBs. I doubt i'd loose much over the AD setup if anything gain better grip over the rough stuff.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sandys, I was just about to take back my comment on them not doing them for the GT just found the page on the Koni site with the car list

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So it seems that Koni-FSD are the way to go....

·
Registered
224 Posts
EB Spares have them in stock for the 147, and I'm about to place an order for some.....will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I spoke to them today about dampers for my 156GTA and the Koni's are £415 per set +del +vat so about £500.

Guy said they are looking to stop doing the RHB Bilsteins in favour of the FSD's, providing they stay reliable.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Do you mind if I ask how much they are at EB Spares please? Can't see anything on their website.
£415 + Del + VAT for the Alfa 147. The first pallet of FSDs only came in a week or two ago. Kev says that they're eventually going to move over to Konis.

Thanks - I for one would be interested to know what you think of them :) :) :)
I'll report back once I've got them ordered/delivered/fitted. I'm primarily hoping that they'll improve the hideously pothole unfriendly / crashy ride on the 147, as well as improving high speed body control over crests, body roll in corners, and that slightly floppy body control when you do an emergency brake and swerve at high speed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts