Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am looking for Koni FSD shocks for my 166, but since they are out of production I cannot get a hold of them. I already asked for them at more than 10 sellers, but no one has them in stock.

Does anyone maybe know a place where they still have them in stock?

Help much appreciated!

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Last time I ordered a set for the 166 they had to be made, took a few weeks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Pud237: Can you check from your supplier if this is still the case?

As much as I know, they are out of production and are also no longer present on the Koni website (Koni Finder does not list them any more).

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Maybe Koni have stopped production now, I'm not sure.. I am not a Koni distributor, we don't really do much Koni stuff anymore. I bought my last set from Larkspeed or DC Performance. About a week after ordering they called me to say there was a problem, they didn't have any stock and Koni didn't have any stock so they would make a set and ship them out as soon as possible.

I would think the best thing you can do if you really want a set is to just place an order with one of the distributors who still advertise them. Then they have your money and know you are serious rather than just someone who is emailing around for prices. They will either make you a set or give you a refund if its not possible.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I ordered a set from Larkspeed a couple of months ago. They didn't have them in stock but they came direct from Holland after about a week.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. I already contacted all of those companies bofore I posted here, and all of them said the same thing - that they are out of production and therefore unavailible. I guess I'm just 2-3 weeks to late, because the last set was sold somewhere between that time preriod.
I am waiting for a reply from europerfomance.co.uk if they have them in stock...

Anyway, it seems I will have to opt for Bilstein B6. Planning to use them with TI springs. Hopefully this combo won't be to uncomfortable.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I already contacted all of those companies bofore I posted here, and all of them said the same thing - that they are out of production and therefore unavailible.
That's not a good news, I was planning to install them next year as a treat for my birthday :biglaugh: no real reason to change them now as my standard suspension works fine. Or is it really worth it?

They are still available on ebay... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KONI-FSD-KIT-SHOCK-ABSORBERS-ALFA-166-2-0-TS-Turbo-2-5-3-0-3-2-V6-2-4-JTD-/120865726343?fits=Car+Make:Alfa+Romeo|Model:166&hash=item1c24289f87

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@paxman: Yes they are, but I got the same answer also from larkseedperformance - they are no longer available, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
wow....sounds like I got the last set then? The Larkspeed chap commented on how popular they were....(which I noted, as I previously believed that nothing over £9.99 for a 166 was popular) Weird....

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lucky you :) I am in the process of completely replacing/renewing whole suspension on 166, and the one thing I was looking the most forward to were Konis.
But Bilstein B6 will be great too, I guess.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a mail directly from Koni, and the FSD's are no longer available for the 166 :-(

I am going for Bilstein B8's instead.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure about B8? Keep in mind that B6 are designed for lowering down to 30 mm, and B8 for lowering down to 50 mm.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its hard to say. Probably both? :)

That's from Bilstein website:

Down to which lowering level can the BILSTEIN B8 Sprint shock absorber be fitted?

Down to 50mm. The ideal depth for driving dynamics is however between 30mm and 40mm; any lower and the driving performance becomes poorer again, unless a major adjustment of the entire vehicle is carried out.

Down to which lowering level can I go with BILSTEIN B6 sports shock absorbers (not shortened) in conjunction with shorter springs?

Down to 30mm. That is what is typically offered for new vehicles straight from the factory. Any lower and a shock absorber with a shortened stroke has to be fitted, so that the spring tension - which ensures the required distance between the car body and the wheel - is maintained, whatever the driving situation. Otherwise the spring may slip out of its fitting and the vehicle will abruptly go out of control.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Yes, and I know that I am not going to make it higher, but might just make it lower, some day ;-)
On your smooth Danish roads yes....just don't bring your car to the UK...you have been warned!
I have driven all over Europe and the UK has the worst road surfaces, it is a disgrace and a shame on us. Now the big sellers here are SUVs, Range Rovers etc as they cope better with our horrendous roads.
I live in Kent, the roads in the North and Midlands of the UK are better.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
You want Koni Sports with you Ti springs. I remember them very well on my 166. It was the best set up I have ever had. They are firm but absolutly not harsh. Comfortable and made the handle like a dream! From what I have looked at the b6/8 are hard.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I already contacted all of those companies bofore I posted here, and all of them said the same thing - that they are out of production and therefore unavailible. I guess I'm just 2-3 weeks to late, because the last set was sold somewhere between that time preriod.
I am waiting for a reply from europerfomance.co.uk if they have them in stock...

Anyway, it seems I will have to opt for Bilstein B6. Planning to use them with TI springs. Hopefully this combo won't be to uncomfortable.
I thing there is a chance to find in eastern european countries (Bulgaria, Romania e.t.c.) because the stock for these models follows the demand of such cars (cheaper now) in these areas of Europe. They buy these models as second hand because they are very cheap nowdays while the west Europe markets prefer new modela. I recently ordered from Bulgaria all new set of koni sport yellow for my 166 2.5 V6 24v because I couldn't find them in my country. New times new ethics................

·
Registered
129 Posts

Remember, Koni sports are the best choice for the 166

1 - 20 of 46 Posts