Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had these fitted to my 156 SW a few months ago. Was delighted with the improved ride, and slightly lower stance.

However... I had to load up the boot last week with stuff for an exhibition, and it continually was bottoming out on the rear (onto the bump stops I presume?). It was not a particularly heavy load, just normal stuff.

I also have eibach anti roll bar kit fitted aswell (rear and front).

So, now I am looking to see what the options are open to me for improving the clearance on the back end.

1) should I refit the std springs on the rear only. Will this have any adverse effect on the balance/handling, if I leave the eibach springs on the front?

2) Shoot me down in flames at this suggestion..... but, here goes... is there any way of "trimming" the bump stop so that I get a bit more travel....? I have not seen what the bumpstop looks like, but I imagine in my head that it is quite a lump of conical rubber, which could be trimmed by an inch or so.....
:confused:

Or is it more likely that the problem is that there is no more travel in the damper, and nothing to do with the bumpstop....?

Sorry for the uneducated terminology and descriptions. This is the only car I have ever had where I cannot see underneath! Must get some axle stands and a low trolly jack....

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
dont know what the bumpstops are like on the fsd's (or indeed they are fitted) but yes you can trim bumpstops down - but make sure they are cut from the right end! they are normally designed conically to load up progressively under compression - so if i remember rightly the narrow end is the softer than the fatter end

i did this on a kit car which had really short stroke shocks and hit the bump stops on regular occasions a couple of mm made a big difference.

fear is with fsd's is that under weight and relatively low speed when loaded up may produce a very soft damper?

take some photos of the bumpstops for us all to have a look at and comment

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont know what the bumpstops are like on the fsd's (or indeed they are fitted) but yes you can trim bumpstops down - but make sure they are cut from the right end! they are normally designed conically to load up progressively under compression - so if i remember rightly the narrow end is the softer than the fatter end

i did this on a kit car which had really short stroke shocks and hit the bump stops on regular occasions a couple of mm made a big difference.

fear is with fsd's is that under weight and relatively low speed when loaded up may produce a very soft damper?

take some photos of the bumpstops for us all to have a look at and comment

When driving along at speed it was fine but when going over speed bumps or bumpy roads slowly was when it was bottoming out. So maybe the answer is to go fast over the bumps, so FSD's firm up!?

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
I may be wrong...I think I have been in the past ;), but the solution my be to fit Koni sports adjustables to the rear .
I have used Spax adjustables front with Koni ajustables rear with no obvious problems on a FWD car .
I used to adjust the Front depending on whether driving fast or around town or in Winter or Summer
but the Rears just stayed on Softest setting.
I would talk to Koni or an expert ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Alfabeat, I am on standard sprints and shocks, and looking to do an upgrade at some point. Doing a bit of homework first. Did you fit these yourself, if not not what sort of labour charges are you looking at for doing it?
I am off to both Eibach and Bilstein offices tomorrow for some presentations so I hope to get more ideas/ answers then. If I get a chance I will discuss the bump stop issue when under load.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Alfabeat, I am on standard sprints and shocks, and looking to do an upgrade at some point. Doing a bit of homework first. Did you fit these yourself, if not not what sort of labour charges are you looking at for doing it?
I am off to both Eibach and Bilstein offices tomorrow for some presentations so I hope to get more ideas/ answers then. If I get a chance I will discuss the bump stop issue when under load.
Alfa_Mark - Any info you can get out of them would be fantastic! I really like the ride height, especially the way it levels the car off. But it is just a bit of a pain when loaded up.

I had Alfa Aid in Maidenhead fit them, along with anti roll bars. I would need to dig out the invoice to see what they charged for doing the lot - I'll have a look tonight. They are not the cheapest around, but I trust them and they are local to me, and have courtesy cars:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cool yeah, would appreciate a rough idea of how much. Also which Eibach springs did you have fitted the Pro-Kit or the Sportline; maybe relavent tomorrow. Good luck looking for the invoice, I have a whole cabinet dedicated to em!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Only one cabinet!?

I've overflowed into the drawer for my wifes BMW...:rolleyes: which is stupidly empty...

I paid about £300 for the fitting of the springs/shocks..don't know if this is good or not?? Probably not!

The anti roll bars cost £170 to fit.

I had the Eibach Pro springs.

One thing which is probably relevent, the FSD's I fitted were not the ones specific to the SW. The normal GTA ones were a lot cheaper, and everyone seemed to think they were identical....maybe not.....:cry:

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
One thing which is probably relevent, the FSD's I fitted were not the ones specific to the SW. The normal GTA ones were a lot cheaper, and everyone seemed to think they were identical....maybe not.....:cry:
They are identical. Interestingly, Koni still list them as externally adjustable, and it even says so on the shocks, but I think this is wrong :dunno: Pity really.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I asked Eibach about the problem you are having and they did not have too many suggestions. Their current catalogue only shows 2 options for 156 SW Pro Kit, 1 for 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 engines and 1 for 2.5 V6, 1.9 JTD, 2.4 JTD, 3.2 GTA engines.
Both kits have identical rear springs and its the front springs that are different to cater for the heavier engines.
For a GTA you should have harder front springs.
There is a product code painted on the springs (which are red for alfa and black for other marques).
You should have 1021001VA on the front and 10200002HA on the rear.
Eibach did suggest that having wrongs springs on the front can interfere with the rear. If your fronts are marked 10200001VA you have the wrong, light springs.
According to Eibach the springs will be 25% firmer than the originals, but I am not sure if that translates into ability to carry heavier loads, I thinks its more reactive. They are a progressive spring that is the same size as the original but lowers the car by having a less firm start and are designed to run with the standard shocks, allowing for full movement of the shock absorber.
Some springs come with a plastic sleeve around the first 2 or 3 turns and this is to stop a 'knocking' noise when the spring is under load. Some are designed for those first few coils to touch under load. They get a few people who take them off, thinking they are packaging.
When we went to Bilstein to see shocks, being dis and re-assembled, its is apparent that they have a bump stop built in as part of them. You have to consider as well, have the Koni's got the full travel that they should have. BTW I never knew how many components are inside a shock, a complex arrangements of shims mainly mounted on a very detailed piston. I also now understand the different and benefits of a mono tube shock over a twin tube one, which most standard cars will have fitted.
Let me know if that helps at all. I could get some contact information at Eibach for if you need it.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I asked Eibach about the problem you are having and they did not have too many suggestions. Their current catalogue only shows 2 options for 156 SW Pro Kit, 1 for 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 engines and 1 for 2.5 V6, 1.9 JTD, 2.4 JTD, 3.2 GTA engines.
Both kits have identical rear springs and its the front springs that are different to cater for the heavier engines.
For a GTA you should have harder front springs.
There is a product code painted on the springs (which are red for alfa and black for other marques).
You should have 1021001VA on the front and 10200002HA on the rear.
Eibach did suggest that having wrongs springs on the front can interfere with the rear. If your fronts are marked 10200001VA you have the wrong, light springs.
According to Eibach the springs will be 25% firmer than the originals, but I am not sure if that translates into ability to carry heavier loads, I thinks its more reactive. They are a progressive spring that is the same size as the original but lowers the car by having a less firm start and are designed to run with the standard shocks, allowing for full movement of the shock absorber.
Some springs come with a plastic sleeve around the first 2 or 3 turns and this is to stop a 'knocking' noise when the spring is under load. Some are designed for those first few coils to touch under load. They get a few people who take them off, thinking they are packaging.
When we went to Bilstein to see shocks, being dis and re-assembled, its is apparent that they have a bump stop built in as part of them. You have to consider as well, have the Koni's got the full travel that they should have. BTW I never knew how many components are inside a shock, a complex arrangements of shims mainly mounted on a very detailed piston. I also now understand the different and benefits of a mono tube shock over a twin tube one, which most standard cars will have fitted.
Let me know if that helps at all. I could get some contact information at Eibach for if you need it.
Thnaks very much Alfa_Mark. I shall have a ponder..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts