Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the shocks on a 2.0 ts and a V6 as they are listed as different on the Koni website and on Alfisti website Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Tuning - Sportfahrwerke - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos
are they completely different or am i right in thinking that the only difference will be to do with the weight on the front end? no actual visual difference. to top it off the 2.0 ts are only for 95-97 model's??? mine is a 2001 and its a 2.0 ts but in the future i will be putting a fiat coupe 20VT engine into the GTV and that will be as heavy as a V6 im guessing. hence all my questions. thanks in advance guys for any info you can give me!

cheers

Sean.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the shocks on a 2.0 ts and a V6 as they are listed as different on the Koni website and on Alfisti website Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Tuning - Sportfahrwerke - Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos
are they completely different or am i right in thinking that the only difference will be to do with the weight on the front end? no actual visual difference. to top it off the 2.0 ts are only for 95-97 model's??? mine is a 2001 and its a 2.0 ts but in the future i will be putting a fiat coupe 20VT engine into the GTV and that will be as heavy as a V6 im guessing. hence all my questions. thanks in advance guys for any info you can give me!

cheers

Sean.
Totally different. As I've just answered your question in another thread: Konis only recommend their TS fr shocks for the early Ph1 TSs when 17s weren't an option.

Clive

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The V6 uses M12 bolts to fasten the upright to the strut. The TS ( in almost all cases* ) uses M10 bolts. That's a fairly major difference unless you get your uprights drilled to 12mm(!) ( not sure this is even practical - you'd need to check all the other parameters like spacing and geometry ).

The Konis are only specified for early TS cars because the struts interfere with 225/45 17" tyres ( the official size for 17" wheels ). You should be able to use 215/45 17" tyres OK with the Konis.

>>> Clive ( CGTVs ) has a lot of knowledge in this area. <<<
EDIT : Too late, he's already responded! :)

* The exception being the TS Cup.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
So if you have a late 2.0 with 17" wheels there is no way to use Koni shocks unless you switch to 16" wheels?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Clive for your info in both threads I just wondered if there was some way of getting the koni's on there as I have the rear ones fitted already. What other options do I have for sports shocks on a 2.0 TS?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The V6 uses M12 bolts to fasten the upright to the strut. The TS ( in almost all cases* ) uses M10 bolts. That's a fairly major difference unless you get your uprights drilled to 12mm(!) ( not sure this is even practical - you'd need to check all the other parameters like spacing and geometry ).

The Konis are only specified for early TS cars because the struts interfere with 225/45 17" tyres ( the official size for 17" wheels ). You should be able to use 215/45 17" tyres OK with the Konis.

>>> Clive ( CGTVs ) has a lot of knowledge in this area. <<<
EDIT : Too late, he's already responded! :)

* The exception being the TS Cup.
What's a TS cup?????

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi Guys,
in the future i will be putting a fiat coupe 20VT engine into the GTV and that will be as heavy as a V6 im guessing.
Sounds like a great project. Surely you will have to swap all the uprights anyway? I take it that you will be fitting a new box, drive shafts with Big Brembos etc

Edit: What about the rev counter?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a great project. Surely you will have to swap all the uprights anyway? I take it that you will be fitting a new box, drive shafts with Big Brembos etc

Edit: What about the rev counter?
Hi Murray, it's still in the very early stages but I do have a complete running 20VT coupe so I should have everything I need for the Rev counter when it comes to the struts and hubs I have a problem though the coupe has a 4 stud hub and the GTV has a 5 so I am going to have to try and work something out there. The subframe and lower arms are all the same along with the steering rack ect so hopefully should be able to work it out. Once I have planned it all out I will start a project thread on it.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you look in the 145/146 forum you can read up on the 145 20VT project. That'll tell you almost all you need to know as the 916 & 145/146 are very close in terms of drive train.

Forum member nineonesix has also put a 16V Coupe engine into his GTV.

EDIT : Incidentally, I've seen the engine bay of both those cars. The 20VT in the 145 is a very tight fit. I wouldn't want to do a belt change!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so going back to the Koni shocks on a 2001 twinspark with 17 inch wheels if i was to keep the tyres at 225/45/17 would i be able to use wheel spacers to get the clearance rather than getting smaller tyres?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
so going back to the Koni shocks on a 2001 twinspark with 17 inch wheels if i was to keep the tyres at 225/45/17 would i be able to use wheel spacers to get the clearance rather than getting smaller tyres?
Only option with the konis for a ts is 215/45/17 or 16 inch alloys

The spring pan sits lower than standard shocks and with 225s the spring pan will be sitting on the tyre

I learnt this the hard way and had to take off 1000 mile 225/45/17 eagle F1s. Theyre still sitting in the shed waiting for the rears to wear down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Guys,

Is there any difference between shock absorbers of gtv 2.0v6tb and gtv 3.0 24v?

Can I use koni's absorbers for 3.0v6 to my 2.0 v6?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hi Guys,

Is there any difference between shock absorbers of gtv 2.0v6tb and gtv 3.0 24v?

Can I use koni's absorbers for 3.0v6 to my 2.0 v6?
The only difference between 3.0 24v and 2.0v6tb is that a 3.0 24v shock absorber have a bracket welded on the shock absorber to attach the front ARB drop link to, so yes you can use 3.0 24v shock absorber on a TB but not a 2.0v6tb shock absorber on a 3.0 24v.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only difference between 3.0 24v and 2.0v6tb is that a 3.0 24v shock absorber have a bracket welded on the shock absorber to attach the front ARB drop link to, so yes you can use 3.0 24v shock absorber on a TB but not a 2.0v6tb shock absorber on a 3.0 24v.
Hi Mate

well noted, thank you :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts