Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is yours a PowerPC IMac Jim?
Yes.

I went online and read the mixed but many negative reviews of Snow Leopard and found there was a Leopard before. Couldn't quickly find whether SL is just an update of L i.e. meaning I can't go straight from Tiger, but I'll search later with a bit more enthusiasm!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Yes.

I went online and read the mixed but many negative reviews of Snow Leopard and found there was a Leopard before. Couldn't quickly find whether SL is just an update of L i.e. meaning I can't go straight from Tiger, but I'll search later with a bit more enthusiasm!
Well its going to have to be Leopard then, that or a nice shiny new iMac ;)

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
My MacBook was on tiger and I updated it to snow leopard. I know a small shop on Oxford street that looks like the sort of place you would never enter, but the chap has every version of apple os made! And sells them cheaply too.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well its going to have to be Leopard then, that or a nice shiny new iMac ;)
:cheese: funnily enough it did cross my mind! A bit of an expensive fix to get a £99 Kobo to work!

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My MacBook was on tiger and I updated it to snow leopard. I know a small shop on Oxford street that looks like the sort of place you would never enter, but the chap has every version of apple os made! And sells them cheaply too.
Oh, that suggests I can just buy snow leopard? Are you sure about that?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Besides that, I don't know what other software Jim uses but OS X Lion dumps Rosetta which is the emulation environment that ensures that you can run PowerPC software on intel architecture.

From Apple's perspective PowerPC is dead and no longer supported.

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I've eyed up an old G5 tower that was super cheap ith a decent spec, all the software I use is compatible with PowerPC so I could go for it if I wanted.

But I'm also exploring a hackintosh with decent spec.

Kinda reminds me when Microsoft first created vista. Lots of applications simply wasn't supported.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Besides that, I don't know what other software Jim uses but OS X Lion dumps Rosetta which is the emulation environment that ensures that you can run PowerPC software on intel architecture.

From Apple's perspective PowerPC is dead and no longer supported.
It's pretty much as it came out of the box Sean. I really only use it for the internet, iTunes, iPhoto and the movie/dvd software that came on it (though that now doesn't connect with my new-ish Sony HD camcorder - probably the same reasons).

Warnings aplenty then and bad reviews on Applestore about some upgrade experiences with Snow Leopard, which it seems I'd have to preface with Leopard first, all seem to suggest it is too much of a ball-ache!

I've got permission at work to setup via my laptop one day this week.:thumbs:

Thereafter, I'll think about a new iMac later....

Thanks for all the help everybody.:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It should connect, surely your camcorder is either firewire 400 with a 4 pin or just usb?
Oh, it wires up, just the iMovieHD doesn't recognise it being there.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Oh, it wires up, just the iMovieHD doesn't recognise it being there.
Probably because it doesnt support avchd, you can still get the files off though and use a software file convetor, but, you may be better off buying a new one if your other kit is leaving it behind.

Pity really, i expect its been a well looked after machine :)

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Pity really, i expect its been a well looked after machine :)
It got dusted fairly often! How do you look after a Mac? It just hasn't been used for anything more than I wanted it for tbh. Looks nice in the corner, got tv, t'internet, photos, music and personal mail. I never even bothered to work out how to use GarageBand though Thomas had a few plays with the sounds.

I think a new machine in due course but not urgent, I got permission to use my works laptop and fell about (metaphorically) laughing as two-thirds of the available IT dept found it wasn't that easy to by-pass their own authorisations after I said it keeps saying I'm not on the internet despite being able to access BBC News! Half an hour later I'd downloaded about 20 classics and I'm a happy bunny.

Thanks again Sean.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts