Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MrsJim bought me a Kobo for Christmas which seems like a great gift idea for someone like me who enjoys a good read especially when travelling or on holidays. I'm really pleased - at least with the idea as I can't use it yet!

I downloaded the setup to my home Mac (can't put anything unapproved on my work laptop :tut:) and dropped the icon into Applications as instructed.

Then nothing. I have a Kobo application icon in the App's folder. I have a Kobo icon on my desktop that just opens the Finder window for aforesaid app. I also have a Koboereader icon on my desktop that is apparently full of epub welcome/readme files in different languages (that I can't actually open).

I've faffed with all sorts of double clicking and tried interminably irritating dead ends trying to get the answer off their own help section of the Kobo website s I thoughtI'd pack it in and hope one of the knowledgeable tech-stars in AO could point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Jim, can't help you I'm afraid but as a follow on from a Kindle Thread is there any reason why you ( Mrs Jim anyway ! ) went for the Kobo and not the Kindle ?

Hope someone comes along soon who can help.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim, can't help you I'm afraid but as a follow on from a Kindle Thread is there any reason why you ( Mrs Jim anyway ! ) went for the Kobo and not the Kindle ?

Hope someone comes along soon who can help.
Nige, she looked into it a bit, I believe. The kobo is a touch version; kindle's doesn't come out til next year. It got a good write up in a comparative review she found in a daily paper too.

Sean, thanks for that. Not sure quite what to do but will try when I get home from mum-in-law's.

·
16,310 Posts
Nige, she looked into it a bit, I believe. The kobo is a touch version; kindle's doesn't come out til next year. It got a good write up in a comparative review she found in a daily paper too.
Thanks Jim. Was only looking at the basic £89 version for myself. The purchase has been postponed for now though, 916 Spring Pans to sort out. :cry:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, try calibre for hooking upto the kobo

calibre - Download for OS X
I'm trying to download that now (30 mins gone....just 1 day, 23 hours, 14 mins remaining!:rolleyes::( I told you I had a slow internet here!) I may sack that off!

The Calibre site did make me wonder if it isn't working because I stil have an older version of OSX Tiger running, so maybe I need to go buy a boxed version of the latest Lion, or Leopard or whatever it is now at the Apple store? Downloading anything is excrutiatingly slow.

Alternatively, I'll ask our IT administrator if he'll allow me to put it on my laptop next week and I can download books via works' superfast network.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jim. Was only looking at the basic £89 version for myself. The purchase has been postponed for now though, 916 Spring Pans to sort out. :cry:
Nige, MrsJim just pointed out that while the Kobo was supposed to be £169 it was on offer at W H Smith for £99 and was being demonstrated while she was Christmas shopping - which was the clincher since she was looking to find one anyway and had £129 in mind from various ads she'd seen.

The basic Kindle should get cheaper when their touch screen version comes out.

I don't know what the Kindle is like but this feels nicely made and has a pleasant quilted pattern on the back.

Good luck with the spring pans btw!

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Jim you need to upgrade to snow leopard then upgrade to lion from the mac app store (which is installed as an update to snow leopard) if you want to

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim you need to upgrade to snow leopard then upgrade to lion from the mac app store (which is installed as an update to snow leopard) if you want to
Can't I just make a single leap?....and from a real shop? If I have to download it I'll never get to use the thing for days!

·
16,310 Posts
Nige, MrsJim just pointed out that while the Kobo was supposed to be £169 it was on offer at W H Smith for £99 and was being demonstrated while she was Christmas shopping - which was the clincher since she was looking to find one anyway and had £129 in mind from various ads she'd seen.

The basic Kindle should get cheaper when their touch screen version comes out.

I don't know what the Kindle is like but this feels nicely made and has a pleasant quilted pattern on the back.

Good luck with the spring pans btw!
:thumbs: Thanks for the info Jim, hope you get sorted out soon.

Spring Pan ( s ) first week in the New Year, at least for the faulty one, PF and the rest will come later.......

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim, If I was closer I could lend you snow leopard and lion to update your OS X
:cheese: Just my luck! But thanks for the kind thought 916!:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its only 25 quid, get your had in your pocket :p
:p naff orfff! :p

@ 916 - I didn't "want" either particularly. I just thought if I had to update then I thought it'd be better to have the latest.

I called in the Apple shop (my God! is it always so manic in there?) and was told Lion probably wouldn't run on my 6 (or 7? can't remember) year old iMac so I'm going to order Snow Leopard from the online store - no they didn't stock it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help chaps.:thumbs:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
:p naff orfff! :p

@ 916 - I didn't "want" either particularly. I just thought if I had to update then I thought it'd be better to have the latest.

I called in the Apple shop (my God! is it always so manic in there?) and was told Lion probably wouldn't run on my 6 (or 7? can't remember) year old iMac so I'm going to order Snow Leopard from the online store - no they didn't stock it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help chaps.:thumbs:
Is yours a PowerPC IMac Jim?

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Think snow leopard is the furthest you can if it is PowerPC. Or is it just leopard.
Thats correct, snow leopard was the first mac os that was intel architecture only

Jim, ebay is your friend, but even then you are getting left behind in terms of future software availibility if you do have a PowerPC Mac. If you are unsure this page will help

How to identify your iMac

:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts