Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a musician and music fan of a certain age (49 any day now:eek:)
I have often surprised younger friends with the source of a sample upon which one of their favourite tunes was based.
Nothing wrong with sampling (sometimes the new tune using the sample is a valid step forward, or in another interesting direction, other times less so:)) but I think it's important to know how much of what you like about a certain track is down to the sample and it's originators!

I had thought of starting a thread here highlighting samples used with the original source, then, predictably, I found a website that already does this

I'm linking to 2 examples where I like both the originals and the tracks doing the sampling:thumbs:
Sorry if you already knew (then why didn't you tell me??) about this.

Dilated Peoples feat. Guru's Worst Comes to Worst sample of William Bell's I Forgot to Be Your Lover | WhoSampled

N.W.A's Express Yourself sample of Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band's Express Yourself | WhoSampled

V

·
0 Posts
Good point Chris, anyone with a real love of - and interest in - music will hopefully make time to listen to the original. I'm not putting down sampling, and as you say, it can give a new direction and new meaning to an existing piece of music. But it's good to know from whence it came and to hear it in its original 'habitat'.

V

·
0 Posts
And in exactly the same way of course, that you may have been a Led Zeppelin fan in the 70's (or even now), but it's still good to know the old blues roots that underpinned a lot of their songs. Squeeze my lemon down on the killing floor before that back door slams! :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Is music your profession Chris, or is it your hobby/spare time passion?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And in exactly the same way of course, that you may have been a Led Zeppelin fan in the 70's (or even now), but it's still good to know the old blues roots that underpinned a lot of their songs. Squeeze my lemon down on the killing floor before that back door slams! :lol:
Exactly:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was a music fan until I left Great Britain for Switzerland/France.
Like moving back 20 years in time, nothing good and only re-makes by French singers of US and GB music but in French.....:cry: When you actually talk to some of their fans and tell them that they're listening to re-makes they don't beleive you!
The money some of them have made singing other people's tunes is incredible. And it's all they've done all their lives, listen to foreign radios and get someone to write French Lyrics for them.
Any of you heard of Johhny Hallyday - Mega millions singing 'sad' remakes of US music.
Gobsmacked at how gullible the audience is over here.
Its got better now that the radios have to play at least 80% 'local' music by law. Slowly, Slowly there are actually some good artists here, but I'm too old to bother now.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree with your sentiments entirely (as a fellow music lover/DJ) :thumbs:

I love discovering samples that have a heritage to them, i.e. hearing a sample, thinking "Oh! That's by Artist X", but then later discovering that they've half-inched it from someone before them too!

An example of such a 'musical thread' that I love is this track by Rosalia De Souza (from 2002):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0ynbnognA

...... which contains a bossa-nova version of the famous Deep Purple riff 'Smoke on the water' (from 1972):

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water 1975 - YouTube

..... which in turn was actually taken originally from Brazil via the legendary Astrud Gilberto's "Maria Quiet" (1966)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIls71_Gmo

:cool:

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with your sentiments entirely (as a fellow music lover/DJ) :thumbs:

I love discovering samples that have a heritage to them, i.e. hearing a sample, thinking "Oh! That's by Artist X", but then later discovering that they've half-inched it from someone before them too!

An example of such a 'musical thread' that I love is this track by Rosalia De Souza (from 2002):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH0ynbnognA

...... which contains a bossa-nova version of the famous Deep Purple riff 'Smoke on the water' (from 1972):

Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water 1975 - YouTube

..... which in turn was actually taken originally from Brazil via the legendary Astrud Gilberto's "Maria Quiet" (1966)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgIls71_Gmo

:cool:
Good one:thumbs:
Although I was thinking more in terms of actual samples as opposed to traceable influences,
I can hear the riff in those latin tunes, but it seems such a simple riff could have been arrived at independently with any similarity being purely coincidental; have Blackmore & co ever acknowledged this influence?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts