Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I've recently collected my new Alfa (I say new, its an ex demo 60 reg) and I am in love with it, although I have recently noticed that when I go over speed humps, I get a knocking noise and even sometimes a sound like a tin can is being dragged underneath the car. This only seems to happen if I have my foot on the accelerator, If I brake or cruise over the humps, its silent!! :confused: It also doesn't do it all the time, probably 80% of the time!

I've had a look underneath the car and nothing appears to be loose or hanging down, so I'm a bit stumped!

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Hey All,

I've recently collected my new Alfa (I say new, its an ex demo 60 reg) and I am in love with it, although I have recently noticed that when I go over speed humps, I get a knocking noise and even sometimes a sound like a tin can is being dragged underneath the car. This only seems to happen if I have my foot on the accelerator, If I brake or cruise over the humps, its silent!! :confused: It also doesn't do it all the time, probably 80% of the time!

I've had a look underneath the car and nothing appears to be loose or hanging down, so I'm a bit stumped!

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas??

Thanks
I have had this happen on mine about half a dozen times so far.
It only seems to do it when i'm on my own in the car.

I have large speed humps in my road so can't avoid them.
They go from kerb to kerb and have a flat top about 4 to 6ft.
I only get the noise when my rear wheels hit it.

I couldn't see anything under the rear either :confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Every time I go over a bumb at whatever speed, I get that sort of tin noise you mentioned. My Alfa is 4 weeks old, so I guess it's nothing out of the ordinary

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I test drove a G the other day it had the same thing. The Alfa dealer said it was a known issue and a recall is due to be issued soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I test drove a G the other day it had the same thing. The Alfa dealer said it was a known issue and a recall is due to be issued soon.
a what???????? of what models?? we've taken ours in about 3 times to get the rattle noise in the boot looked at and they're still not sure what it is

·
Registered
36 Posts
I test drove a 1 year old Guilietta Cloverleaf. According to the dealer there is a problem with the design of a particular exhaust bracket underneath the car which causes a knocking noise over bumps.

If you want to know more talk to Brin at Monza Sport in Ashington.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, sounds like it might be a common issue then....not sure I like the sound of a recall though!!

Alfred TI - The speed humps near me are exactly the same ones, with the flat top....so the noise cant be a coincidence.

Think I might have to give Brin at Monza Sport a call and see what he says - Thanks Fool!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I spoke to Keith at Monza Sport in Ashington and he seems to think my rattling noise is something to do with the handbrake cable clips or something, apparently he's had to replace quite a few! I'm going to take it in to him next week, so will let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
same issue - was the exhaust headshield on a 2.0 170 JTDm
also - check where the locking bolts and jack are stored in the boot - mine were hitting the bodywork and the rattle was being transmitted forwards through the bodywork so it sounded like a problem under the floor - wrapped then in a rag and stopped that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts