Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've got a knocking noise when taking tight (and bumpy) corners at speed (as you do wink ), it can be felt in the steering wheel. A friend had a bolt shear on the steering rack of his V6 so I'm a little concerned.

However, I think its the wishbones as I've got the "wandering" under heavy breaking, are the two problems linked???

wrinx

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like the wishbones. There's actually little rubber between the wishbone and the brackets holding the rubber bushings. As the rubber deteriorates the edges of the wishbone start to knock on these brackets under heavy load (cornering, braking). The bond between the rubber and the wishbone can also go, so that the wishbone pivots inside the rubber. This gives a squeaky creaking noise as you go over sleeping policemen and the like.
I replaced the wishbones about 15000km ago, and the squeaks are back... :mad: Perhaps I shouldn't have gone to that trackday on the Hockenheimring! :D

Just wondering, wasn't Superflex or some other company going to do polyurethane bushings for the 155? I seem to remember that they were looking for car-owner to test the bushings.

Jaap
'95 2.0TS 16V

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the exact same problem, when going through the bumpy twisty stuff at any sort of speed i had knock from the n/s/f which you could feel throgh the whole car.

Had it checked out and it was a worn out lower wishbone on the n/s.

Since it was replaced the difference is quite noticeable, no knocking and the car feels more grippy for some reason! :cool:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, Jaap the post on wishbones has been brought up again, there are now bushes available :)

wrinx

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ermm, yes, so I realised about one minute after posting the question... Sorry!
If you decide to try out the Powerflex bushes, I'm sure everybody here will be very interested to hear how you fare.

Jaap
'95 2.0TS 16V

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this bush replace a knackered bit in the original arm then :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts