Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

i have posted about this before..but not in as much detail..

the 1st week of november i bought my 147 jtdm.
the weather was warm for the time of year(relevant later)

the car was fine and dandy. but i noticed a brake fluid leak under the car.
so the car went back to the garage for the leak to be sorted out.

by the time i got the car back, the weather had turned much colder.(week)

the leak had been fixed...... but i noticed that i now had a knocking noise.

it appears to be behind the drivers side of the dash or in the engine bay.
i can here it in the car, but have not heard it from outside.

also, it only does it when really really cold... after the car has warmed up a bit.. the noise goes away..

the noise is also there over bumps.... but , again, only when the engine is really cold..

the noise does not go up and down with the engine revs..

after speaking to the garage... they told me the leak was from the clutch.!!!!

is it possible that when they fixed the clutch... that they disturbed something???

the noise is 100% heat related..

warm car/long drive.......equals no noise

cold car/very short drive..... and i get the tapping.

the noise is not metallic.... i dont think it is the exhaust heat sheild.

i once had a car that had knocking arb's....but only when the engine was warm..i think the heat soak made the bush's expand

in this case, i reckon the cold is making something contract...

i have had a torch and looked around... but i really need some ideas?

i cant go to the garage and say..there is a knock but i dont know where from!!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had a look, but couldnt really see much wrong.

ive been parking the car in the garage all this week because its warmer....and no knocking noise.

tonight i'll leave it outside, and see if the noise returns....dont u just love alfa's ??!! :)

M

·
0 Posts
My GTA displayed similar symptoms when I first got it 5 years ago. My local dealer was a 20 mile drive away and whenever I took the car to them the noise had gone. In the end, after trying to tell me that I was imagining it, I asked them to keep the car over night and try it from cold........straight away the niose was diagnosed as worn anti roll bar bushes. New bar put in under warranty...problem solved. When the bushes are really worn, as mine were, you can actually 'feel' a knocking under your feet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My GTA displayed similar symptoms when I first got it 5 years ago. My local dealer was a 20 mile drive away and whenever I took the car to them the noise had gone. In the end, after trying to tell me that I was imagining it, I asked them to keep the car over night and try it from cold........straight away the niose was diagnosed as worn anti roll bar bushes. New bar put in under warranty...problem solved. When the bushes are really worn, as mine were, you can actually 'feel' a knocking under your feet.

cheers.. i was thinking that as well.. ive been leaving the car in the garage recently...keeps it warmer...no noise :)

im going to autolusso soon, just another job for them to price up !! :)

M

·
0 Posts
cheers.. i was thinking that as well.. ive been leaving the car in the garage recently...keeps it warmer...no noise :)

im going to autolusso soon, just another job for them to price up !! :)
They'll look after you there:thumbs:

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Pop it in on saturday if you can. We'll have a look over it for you, of course free of charge as part of our Saturday surgery.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts