Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....

Recently bought Brera 3.2 Q4 and all been well until just started to get a knocking noise when pulling out of junctions. It's more noticeable when turning right and only happens when pulling out quickly.... its 4 or 5 'thuds', then dissapears....

Thought it was CV joint, but replaced and still there..... discussion over a beer with mate got us
talking about possible issues with the dif!

Anyone have same issue or ideas? I love the car but cannot live with the lack of understanding on what is causing the noise... yes I could just pull out of junctions more sedately, or drive with radio on....but then why would I have bought an Alfa!!!

Hope someone can help...

Cheers...Andy

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It’s more than likely going to be coming from a ball-joint, but which one is the thing to investigate.
I would rule out the diff myself.
Jack the car up and try to wiggle the N/S/F wheel.
1st inspect the lower arm ball-joint and Bush
2nd drop link
3rd Track rod end
4th upper arm bush(s) and ball-joint

Geometry settings alone can cause knocks on full lock on Q4’s
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s more than likely going to be coming from a ball-joint, but which one is the thing to investigate.
I would rule out the diff myself.
Jack the car up and try to wiggle the N/S/F wheel.
1st inspect the lower arm ball-joint and Bush
2nd drop link
3rd Track rod end
4th upper arm bush(s) and ball-joint

Geometry settings alone can cause knocks on full lock on Q4’s
Thanks for quick response.....I'll jack up car and take another look on joints, but wouldn't something like this have been picked up on recent MOT?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know it sounds daft but I chased a driveshaft issue on my 2.2 which sounded like you describe, only to find out that there were two wheel nuts loose!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
You’d think it would, but an MOT inspector can only report on movement of suspension parts. For example. Sometimes the upper arm bushes creak but no movement is present enough to see.

Sometimes these cars can frustrate you finding what causes audible sounds. I wouldn’t keep changing components trying to chase the cause though. I have done that many years ago trying to convince myself that I’m getting a new ( factory fresh ) Brera for the cost of doing so.
That’s why my car is sat in my garage since November. They’re sometimes a labour of love that becomes an expense to its owner.

Not sure what I should do with mine after seven years of ownership.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its so hard to detect failure in upper and lower arms, with lower arms being slightly easier than the uppers. The moment you jack a car, removing the load detecting a failed ball joint becomes futile. I have replaced the upper arms 4 times as the ones I bought were low quality.

Kwik fit do have a wobble machine that rocks the front suspension back and forth making it easier to detect. I would try them. If you do have to replace any of the arms I would go with TRW and not a cheaper version.

Nick

·
Registered
230 Posts
As it’s the Q4 I would also get the propshaft (front to rear shaft) bearings looked at. Had to have ours done for a similar “knocking noise” and this meant it being sent away and remanufactured as the bearings are not a serviceable item. Cost about £600 (plus the labour to remove and refit). Once it’s been remanufactured the bearings are then serviceable. Still hugely cheaper than a new propshaft from Alfa, which I think was nearly £2k!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to those who have replied with their thoughts.....

Have had car jacked-up this morning and cannot see any obvious play in joints, but as suggested once you have taken away the weight of car then sometimes not obvious. Looking online I can see a number of complete front suspension replacement kits, so might be tempted to bite the bullet and replace the lot, to at least eliminate this area (suspect its just a time consuming activity rather than difficult!) ..... With respect to the prop shaft issues then wouldn't wear in bearings also produce knocking and banging under other load conditions and not just turning out from a junction?

·
Registered
230 Posts

Have had car jacked-up this morning and cannot see any obvious play in joints, but as suggested once you have taken away the weight of car then sometimes not obvious. Looking online I can see a number of complete front suspension replacement kits, so might be tempted to bite the bullet and replace the lot, to at least eliminate this area (suspect its just a time consuming activity rather than difficult!) ..... With respect to the prop shaft issues then wouldn't wear in bearings also produce knocking and banging under other load conditions and not just turning out from a junction?

Our issues with the propshaft became apparent around roundabouts...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

As I mentioned already, don’t go out spending money that’s not needed. Try doing some further investigation.
The propshaft is another good suggestion.
Also, some have had loose steering rack bolts that have caused knocks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I mentioned already, don’t go out spending money that’s not needed. Try doing some further investigation.
The propshaft is another good suggestion.
Also, some have had loose steering rack bolts that have caused knocks

Understood advice on spending....just frustrated with the issue as more than happy with rest of car... infact it's as quiet as a mouse (exhaust sound exception) on all types of driving.... just bloody right hand junctions!

Will empty my garage pit this afternoon and get u underneath car to take a look at propshaft... makes Some logical sense as noise is definitely torque related, but would have still thought that I'd hear other noises under other driving situations if this was failing.

Might have to have a run up to Penrith if cannot, locate the source...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi....

Recently bought Brera 3.2 Q4 and all been well until just started to get a knocking noise when pulling out of junctions. It's more noticeable when turning right and only happens when pulling out quickly.... its 4 or 5 'thuds', then dissapears....

Thought it was CV joint, but replaced and still there..... discussion over a beer with mate got us
talking about possible issues with the dif!

Anyone have same issue or ideas? I love the car but cannot live with the lack of understanding on what is causing the noise... yes I could just pull out of junctions more sedately, or drive with radio on....but then why would I have bought an Alfa!!!

Hope someone can help...

Cheers...Andy
I had similar noises, does the steering clunk when your stationary and move the steering wheel left to right?

turns out it was a loose steering rack mount bolt. the drivers side one. its quite a common problem apparently.

i took the front drivers wheel off and cranked it back up with a torx spanner, you might get away with using a 12 point ring spanner, ideally a ratchet spanner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had similar noises, does the steering clunk when your stationary and move the steering wheel left to right?

turns out it was a loose steering rack mount bolt. the drivers side one. its quite a common problem apparently.

i took the front drivers wheel off and cranked it back up with a torx spanner, you might get away with using a 12 point ring spanner, ideally a ratchet spanner
It's not really a mechanical clunk of noise but more a repetative thud (4 - 5 repeats)...... more akin to ABS being applied in a short burst, or sound that a spitfires makes!

had car over the garage pit and nothing obvious on propshaft, took wheel of again and removed inner liner to see if it was that catching or vibrating - NOPE :(

Removed top ball joint and whilst no obvious play decided to order new part.....will see if makes a difference when it arrives and I've got to fit..... at least I'm getting back to liking my hands getting oily again....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts