Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed both front lower wishbones and anti roll bar drop links on my 1997 2.0 TS Spider. Thought all was ok but when I drive it there is a knock noise coming from the front o/s wheel. Knocking sound gets quicker the faster I go. Jacked car backup and spun wheel round by hand and no noise. Worried I've some how damaged the wheel bearing or drive shaft.

:cry:

Any idea ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked and rechecked all the bolts are ok. Taking to garage tomorrow to see what they say. Guess there is no way of testing the damper ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any news, Bantam?

I may have the same problem, hovewer, the knocking sound isn't always present - for example, I went for a ride in the morning, it's there :mad:... Then I went for a drive in the afternoon, NOTHING :confused:...

The sound however does not get louder with speed, it gets louder when I shift down a gear (say from 3rd to 2nd) and when I release the gas pedal (say 1st and 2nd gear). When I drive normally, say 60-70 on the highway, it's barely hearable.

I went to see a friend of mine and we tried to figure out, what's causing such noises, but didn't find anything - we lifted the front end, put it into gear, and so on - NOTHING (probably because when the front end was in air, the load wasn't heavy enough)... When I drove off, the knocking sound miraculously disappeared... I think the sound does not come from the engine or the suspension, gearbox or exhaust perhaps??? Well, who knew...

And to make everything even better, I couldn't take it to the garage because it's saturday. I guess I'll have to wait until monday. Darn!

If anyone of you has encountered something similar, any info would come in handy, since it's really driving me mad!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well....

Today on my 147 I just got rid of that very problem for under £9.00.

Knocking by my front drivers side, thinking it could have been wishbone bushes or front damper. Anyway it turned out it was the rubber mounts that hold the exhaust system all the rubbers had split and held by some kind of fabric cord. 6 in all replaced 3 x .99p then 3 x 1.99 fitted.

Just look under your car you will see in seconds.

I do hope this could be your problem because 9 Quid is well worth getting rid of the noise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, all sorted. A bit embarrassing really, I must have bent the thin disk protector when fitting the wishbone . When the suspension is under load it must have been rubbing, as nothing when the car was jacked up. Anyway all fixed now.:cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2.0 gtv 1996, which has a bit of a drone whirr from front rh wheel, this comes goes becomes a grumble goes repeatedly, as others have i had it on the lift, wheel spins and sounds fine no drone no grumble nothing, a slight amount of play has been noticed by doing a bearing test on the wheel but according to a mechanic friend nothing to worry about, one thing i have noticed is that the noise changes slightly when sterring moved gently left/right, any ideas chaps, is it wheel bearing, drive shaft, a dodgy tyre, or just does the cv boot need more grease???? all of these possibles.
regards allan

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a 2.0 gtv 1996, which has a bit of a drone whirr from front rh wheel, this comes goes becomes a grumble goes repeatedly, as others have i had it on the lift, wheel spins and sounds fine no drone no grumble nothing, a slight amount of play has been noticed by doing a bearing test on the wheel but according to a mechanic friend nothing to worry about, one thing i have noticed is that the noise changes slightly when sterring moved gently left/right, any ideas chaps, is it wheel bearing, drive shaft, a dodgy tyre, or just does the cv boot need more grease???? all of these possibles.
regards allan
I had exactly the same, but you have to spin the wheel fast when on the ramp otherwise it will seem perfect. I was starting to think I had major problems but it was the wheel bearings. Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts