Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am wondering if anybody can help me. I have an Alfa Romeo 155 16V 1.8TS 1996 and it has begun to make a Knocking noise from under the foot well. This noice was at first only happening occasionally when I pulled away but now it is getting worse and the other day was doing it in all gears. I am wondering whether it is a problem with the clutch or drivetrain. Does anyone know?

Steve

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
stevebloke said:
Hi,

I am wondering if anybody can help me. I have an Alfa Romeo 155 16V 1.8TS 1996 and it has begun to make a Knocking noise from under the foot well. This noice was at first only happening occasionally when I pulled away but now it is getting worse and the other day was doing it in all gears. I am wondering whether it is a problem with the clutch or drivetrain. Does anyone know?

Steve

Could be something to do with the driveshaft assembly.....

Have you checked the wheel bearing as well, as this can give the same noise ?

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
mmm, sounds like I have a similar problem - literally yesterday out of nowhere knocking started coming at anything over 1200 rpm gtom more or less in front of the footwell. Nothing when stationary. Feels like driveshaft/bearing but I haven'ta clue as to which though from Sud days recall garages make the driveshaft probelm in particualr quite expensive.

Ideas?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine developed a similar thing and it turned out to be the bolts that do up the drive shafts hitting the gerabox houseing where they'd come lose.

·
Registered
170 Posts
agree it is driveshaft linked but think the bolts unlikely on this as it seems far more excessive turning one way than another and particularly loud under "load" (am being very careful at the moment so this is 1800-2000rpm!) in 3rd though there much of the time.

btw, if it is the bolts, how do I check and is it about to fail in any life threatening way?!

James

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Have also experienced loose drive shaft socket bolts in the past, unlikely but could also be constant velocity joint, engine/gbox mountings, not sure if there is a centre bearing on the drive shaft that wears, don't go under cars much now,too old, but bet one of the guys out their has better ideas than 'meself' David C and co. Good Luck.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Another thought,probably way off target as well, stabiliser bracket bushes? Someone I'm sure will help, after dinner. Regards Z.F.

·
Registered
170 Posts
kinda figure it is probably CV but the fact that it came on literally suddenly (and loud) makes me suspect something else.......JREC

ps - any estimates for costs for changing CV? Which bits will actually need changing - shaft, gaiters, bearing, joint.....you can tell I'venever had to look!? Anything else worth (car is 142k now) changing at the same time? Do both sides need doing?

ta

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Easier/quicker, best, replacement shaft. Try to find out exactly what the problem is physically first. Difficult diagnosing 'on air' but as said previously, Alfa Gurus out there probably know, (more than this 'ole' has been anyway.) If one cv goes then it's replaced, you'll soon know if the other is suspect./noise no noise on re-test.

·
Registered
170 Posts
no sign of alfa gurus! local quote for driveshaft around 175 inc part ex VAT.....may not even be that so ideas with diagnosis welcome!

James

·
Registered
170 Posts
now, gets weirder - the knocking which was really quite loud seems to away when "warm" (but not all the time) but today there's no noise at all.........can this kind of thing really be driveshaft/CV related? Time to get under it and see what's hanging off (or fallen off!) I think!

James

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that's the answer for now...have a look before you drive it much further.

Report back with findings :D

wrinx

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo 156 JTD 8v Veloce (2005)
258 Posts
I've got a similar noise too and because it is only when pulling away or accelerating after a corner I'm thinking engine mount, most probably the one to the gearbox casing. I say this from experience of Tipo and Tempra that did the same. The engine hangs from the mounts so they appear to be tight but the rubber wears inside. Fairly simple to drop off to see (about half an hour) then get a new one...

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I've got a similar noise too and because it is only when pulling away or accelerating after a corner I'm thinking engine mount, most probably the one to the gearbox casing. I say this from experience of Tipo and Tempra that did the same. The engine hangs from the mounts so they appear to be tight but the rubber wears inside. Fairly simple to drop off to see (about half an hour) then get a new one...
agree there! mine are worn, but not worn out!

under hard aceleration between shifts, you feel the engine knock slightly. gotta change em to powerflex or something the same!

:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
raingod - "fairly simple" - novice level or requiring of tools and expertise? Aim to have a bash this weekend but not confident I know what to do or what I am looking for - willing to learn though!
James

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry for the lateness - Under the battery there is an alloy arm bolted to the front of the gearbox casing to the chassis just to the front of the wheelarch. At the gearbox end there are 2 17mm bolts plain to see and one to the top of the gearbox casing that points to the outside of the car at the top of the arm and one out of sight under the arm. These are 15mm on the inside and 17mm nuts on the outside. At the outside end of the alloy arm appears to be a metal 'cup' (the engine mount) which has two bolts upward into the chassis at the front and back of this 'cup'. Obviously make sure you have the weight of the engine supported then undo all 8 of these bolts and remove the whole arm and engine mount together. Once removed there'll be a long bolt that goes through the engine mount and the alloy arm. Not that I've done the Alfa, but on the Fiats in the past I've found that to do this and remove the whole arm/mount bit first then undo the long bolt to take off the mount from the arm is easier than trying to split it on the car. In the old Haynes Manual tradition refet is the reverse of removal. I would suggest that putting all the bolts in just finger tight (then tighten) will help line things up rather than getting excited and putting each bolt in tight one at a time and finding there is one that will not go in because it does not line up. For what it's worth that engine mount appears to be easier than the Fiat as the arm fastens round the gearbox and there is one bolt through the gearbox casing at the top that is so hard to get to. The alloy arm all appears to be on the front of the gearbox. If you take care I bet this could even be done without removing too much (if any) of the plastic work around the wheelarch/engine...

Best of luck and take your time!

·
Registered
170 Posts
raingod - very good of you with the detail; when I jacked it up there it proved not to be engine mounts but couldn't get knocking with wheels driving as no load. Knocking though is under clutch pedal on other side (drivers side) so my apologies for lack of clarity. Almost certain now it is outer end CV that is to blame - about £40 I think plus an hour at the garage - I baulk at the fairly simple!

MOT passed just now so worth doing!

James

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've sussed my knocking - though mine was on the drivers side. I nipped up the bolts through the sub frame into the lower arms. In fact one - although 'tight' the thread had stripped, swapped that got it tight and it's been silent going to work and back today. Just thought of popping this up on the site as it may keep other sane! Although a couple of the bolts did tighten up a fraction it can make the annoying knocking noise setting off and turning corners... and just to finish off by saying my car did the MOT last month in it's knocking state so there was no movement to get a fail there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts