Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st knocking niggle in ages .....getting a knocking noise and it appears to be from the steering mechanism .....the only way I can induce the noise to to slowly drive and move steering left/right , clearly the noise I am experiencing at low speeds and variable ....sailing over speed bumps without incident but slight left or right turn a knock is evident .....do I need to go to my Alfa Inde? ......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Most probably your track rod ends. Get under the car and see if you can move them easily. You will hear them knocking if you shake them. Will be louder when driving. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Logically?
1.Track rod ends (easiest, cheapest and most likely item)
2.Track rod (that screw into the rack itself and attach to the track rod ends) Rare they go wrong, but they can.
3. Dependent on where the noise is located (outer wing area or central behind bulkhead) It could also be the mounting brackets for the steering rack itself... They aren't that strong... Dealer part as far as I know and involves the sub frame dropping.
4. Less likely, the Universal Joint at the bottom of the column to rack... It's a sealed unit so can't be serviced or greased, usually comes along with a notchy, lightness and heaviness to the steering as if the power steering pump is intermittent...
5. Although it could be the spline nut loose that attaches it to the steering rack causing play, especially if you have had the sub frame off recently.

The first or third possibilities would be my guess;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for your advice guys ....ordered an outer RH track rod end from eBay , checked paperwork I received with GT and wishbones were replaced about a year ago so they should be OK ...looks like a job I can handle so will tackle this coming Thursday weather permitting. Found a video on You Tube that makes it all look rather easy .... fingers crossed ....if it does not work will look at inner rod , don't think that one is as easy however from what I have read so far .............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just fitted new tie rod end ............................we have a result ! Vast improvement particularly at low speed ...still getting occasional single knock but I suspect that is from another source. The trundly rattle is cured ...:D...Local garage fitted and re tracked for £35. I am still in mood swings after bending my sill yesterday (see other thread for horror pics)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts