Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm...
I seem to have developed a problem where there is a knocking noise coming from the o/s. The knock is engine speed related and goes faster the engine is running, but only happens when on the over-run, when decelerating and in gear, especially down hill. It only seems to happen when the car has wormed up for 50 miles or so but is slowly getting worse and is sometimes very loud. Other times it goes away completely.
Its damn annoying as I cant demonstrate it to the local garage. They have had a look and said the o/s driveshaft and CV are a little loos, but not that much and not enough to need replacement.
I`m stuck. Any ideas what it could be anyone :confused: I don`t want my wheel falling off on the motoway or anything!

The oil pressure thing is something else. The sender unit that feeds the dash pressure gauge is knackered (unless I have -0.5 pressure!). A new one is £40 +vat which is far too much :( Anyone know if a sender off another car would fit? If its not off an Alfa its bound to be cheaper! Alfa part number is 60507261.

All help appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
sounds dum but a few things to check ,
wheel nuts as i had a knock when decelerating turned out to be a sticking brake caliper caused by duff flexi pipe , the wheel would heat up and the nuts loosen causing the knock do you feel brakes sticking a bit? have a feel of each wheel after going out for a drive see if one is warmer than others .

another thing to check is if you like handbrake turns like i did in my renault 25 eek! this put a big flatspot on rear tyre and i swore it was coming from front right corner so as the scrapyards are full of them i changed a driveshaft to no effect , i only noticed it was the back tyre when i replaced it due to being a bit thin on tread .

if its your cv's you should hear it more when you turn in one direction try driving on an empty road giving it some big right and left turns i think if you turn left and hear noise its the right one gone and vice versa.

hope this helps and dont think im tacking the mik :D

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
I`ll have to wait for the knocking to become terminal then. The bit that falls of is the bit with a problem!

No ideas on the oil pressure sender?

T

·
0 Posts
Could also be a split exhaust mount. The exhaust tends to expand and contract quite drastically and moves about quite a lot under the car; this could explain why you get the knocking only when the engine is warm and on overrun (when the engine rocks back and forth). Have a look, it's definetly worth it considering that these are only a few quid to replace.. unlike engine mounts eek!

T.

·
Registered
632 Posts
if its your cv's you should hear it more when you turn in one direction try driving on an empty road giving it some big right and left turns i think if you turn left and hear noise its the right one gone and vice versa.
Think you've just hit the nail on the head for me there Fletch. Also it's been happening so long on mine I think as a result of it a wheel bearing has started to rub just ever so slightly when turning the opposite way. So now I've a choice of knock-knoxk-knock or rub-rub-rub or a mixture of both when going straight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts