Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving along normally at 30MPH 2,000RPM the engine just cut out. No warning lights or nothing.

Restarted fine straight away.

What you reckon? Knock sensor starting to go? Never had one go on me before.

At least its a cheap fix if it is that.

I forget how heavy the steering is without the PS working! :eek:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Double checked the battery already all dash lights and headlights etc stayed on.

I'm worried if I have a problem with the voltage regulator on the new alternator.

When the car is idling and the headlights are on, if I tap the accelerator, the headlights dim very very slightly and then come back on brighter again.. It also threw up a MCSF error for about 2 seconds the other day when I flashed my lights!?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm worried if I have a problem with the voltage regulator on the new alternator.
Funny you should say that as I'm having my replacement alternator checked as it's always been reluctant to work properly without the car throwing up some kind of low battery warning or more recently VDC, ABS..etc. failure messages.

I know of a 166 that also had a replacement alternator after mine was done and yet the alternator fried itself not too long ago, so there could well be a bad batch!

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the one I had fitted was a Lucas one. The battery is always fully charged after the car has been running. I need to get the multimeter out and do some tests.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts