Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps, a bit of help if you will?

When i drive and go over a little bump in the road the left side knocks,
A mate passed my car on its MOT but said there was play on the left wheel and he didnt know where the knock was coming from.

Now this is where am a novice, he said this could be the trackrods, but he does not know if they are apart of the steering rack and i would need to get the whole thing replaced, which he said would cost.

He also said the tracking was out on the rightside so this could be the problem.

So could i replace the trackrods without the steering rack?
Could i also replace the bushes would this help?

It's a Alfa 147 2001, Thanks in advance

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
More than likely it's the upper or lower arm ball joint, they probably wouldn't spot an ARB knock on an MOT test.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks, think he did mention the drop links being the knock.

so could i replace the track rods with out changing the sterring rack then?

Sorry am a bit think :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely it's the upper or lower arm ball joint, they probably wouldn't spot an ARB knock on an MOT test.
He drove it to his garage for me and noticed the knock.

He then checked the play on the leftside and said something like it could the trackrod on the right cos that may need replacing?
something like the knock transffering from right to left.

Thanks again

·
Registered
99 Posts
It depends on what xactly you mean by knock. If its is a dull tapping type knock - ka dunk ka dunk ka dunk- that happens on uneven surface (sounds like door is not shut properly) then i would say drop links. If it is fuller sounding knok - clunk -that only occurs once if you hit a bigger bump or pot hole especially when mouning speed humps etc than i would say bottom wish bone bushes or ball joint. I also think it unlikely to be track rod ends - possible but unlikely, you may have a warn trak rod end in terms of lateral play but unlikely to cause a knock unless absolutely sh#gg#ed. The mot chap should have checked for play in all these components though.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
An MOT tester that can't find a suspension knock, that's a bit poo. If he can't describe it then he can't fail it, i a way I'd have prefered a fail so that I knew the car was going to be made 100% safe.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ok thanks, think he did mention the drop links being the knock.

so could i replace the track rods with out changing the sterring rack then?

Sorry am a bit think :)
Yes, but you only need to change them if they're completely seized or the ball joints are knackered.

If the tracking's just out, they're adjustable. They adjust the toe-in/out of the wheels to make them parallel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, Am going to get the drop links replaced.

He just called me and said that track rods need replacing cos they are worn and the knock will be the drop links.

Any idea of cost for fitting these.

I can get the parts on flee bay cheap enough

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Droplinks are £20 a pop, according to a recent thread. You'll probably either be charged half an hour or an hour's labour depending on how co-operative they are when being taken off.

I got BMW droplinks off ebay recently. They lasted about a week, although this might have been caused by another suspension problem...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts