Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

my 145 Junior has developed an intermittent knocking that sounds like it's coming from just in front of the driver's footwell. I suspect ARB bushes, but the sound is different to that I experienced on my wife's Multipla, which has much of the same Tipo DNA. If I rock the steering wheel from side-to-side while the car is stationery and engine off, I can hear what may be the same noise, but not as loud (I need my head down in the footwell to hear it - not the case with the noise running over bumps). Also, there is a noise (but no play) if, with the car on the ground and switched off but steering lock off, I grip the front offside tyre and try to move it as if steering the car from side-to-side; this appears to come from the inner CV joint and may be normal and entirely unrelated. Other than those two symptoms, I've no reason to believe it's steering related.

I've jacked her up and had the wheel off and can detect no movement in any bushes. She drives fine; no pulling under braking or wandering under acceleration.

What's the opinion - ARB bushes? Drop links? Upper strut bearing? Steering rack loose??

Thanks

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
The hardest knock I had to find on one of my 155's turned out to be the nut on top of the front suspension, twas loose

·
Registered
2005 Gt 1.9JtD, 2010 Giulietta 170 MultiAir Lusso
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked tightness of bolts holding lower A arm and plate at top of strut (under bonnet), but not the bolt on top of the strut itself, which is what I think you mean. Actually, now I think about it, I should check all of the nearside bolts too. I spent ages trying to fix a knock that I was convinced was coming from the rear nearside of my wife's 147 and eventually found the source to be the front nearside upper arm.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
I checked tightness of bolts holding lower A arm and plate at top of strut (under bonnet), but not the bolt on top of the strut itself, which is what I think you mean. Actually, now I think about it, I should check all of the nearside bolts too. I spent ages trying to fix a knock that I was convinced was coming from the rear nearside of my wife's 147 and eventually found the source to be the front nearside upper arm.
I do indeed mean the top nut of the shock absorber, had to buy a deep swan neck spanner to tighten it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts