Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this slight knock coming from the front end of my 156 which happens when driving along slightly uneven roads, i've check anti-roll bars, upper arms, steering links all seem fine. The only things I have noticed is the offside lower arms inner bushes are starting to get a little play but can't see this giving the noise i hear, the other thing I'm not sure about is with car on ground and reaching behind the wheel the offside driveshaft has a few mm side to side play which makes a slight knock when moved side to side, once jacked up shaft play stops?? Is the just normal slack in shaft to allow for suspension movement etc? As I don't know anyone near me with a 156 would someone on here be able to check theirs quickly please?
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
That is normal slack in the shaft as if you think about it when the shock is fully compressed or extended OR if the wheels are at full lock then the shaft needs to be longer then when the car is sat neutral. But if it's knocking then whip out the driveshaft by undoing the ring of 6 hexes and fill the CV joints with fresh Moly grease, this will stop them knocking.

Otherwise it could be the shock knocking aor ARB drop links.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Alex, I thought it should have some movement but not the knock. I'll give that a try when I'm off next week, when the shaft is out can you get to the cv joint without removing the boot? as I thought that was sealed behind the boot. If I can get hold of the boot clamps could this be done in situ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
just had mine fixed mate, it was passenger side knock at 20-30mph on uneven areas of road. Was the torsion bar rubber bits, slightly worn. Had that replaced and the arms no problem. You couldnt see the wear when it was on the car either.

Just a thought

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response, I've had the car up in the air and disconnected ARB links and all felt fine, so hopefully thats ok, as I believe getting to the ARB bushes is quite a big job so i'm going for the items I can see and get to first.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
if you need replacement ARB bushes I sell them, see my siganture for a link.

or drop me a PM :thumbs:

I've sold quite a few to members of AO

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Thanks for your response, I've had the car up in the air and disconnected ARB links and all felt fine, so hopefully thats ok, as I believe getting to the ARB bushes is quite a big job so i'm going for the items I can see and get to first.
It's subframe off, and once again 'll say that the only way to do it properly is to replace the bar too.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
sub-frame off remove arb, fit bushes, re-fit sub-frmae, 3 hours work :) ,,,assuming you have a pit of lift

on the fla tof your back ..... x 2 ... unless you don;t drop the subframe but remove the lower wishbones & struts instead.... that approx 3 hours work too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
still knocking! disconected ARB links still knocking, I found that the knocking seems to happen either when going straight and hit a slightly uneven surface or if going along flat road if I flick the steering wheel slightly to the right and back to centre again, doesn't happen when doing it to the left though. I am thinking now that this could be R/H lower arm ball joint so will try to get it up in the air and see if I can check this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts