Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I bought my GTA about 11 weeks ago and it had a slight knock from n/s/r suspention.
as the car does very little miles i havent reeally had it as a priority but now christmas is out of the way i thought i would get it up on the ramps.

So we checked all the obvious and common causes (bushed, arms etc..) But found nothing wrong with any of it so checked out the coilover and it seems that there is a slight oil leak from shock, which we discovered after cleaning of all the matted dirt which has obviously been sticking to the oil...

Now i am not very experienced when it comes to coilovers so not sure what to do about it.
I am guessing they need serviced every once in a while and that after time rubber gaskets/seals will need replaced.
So really i am after some help as to what to do??

They are autodelta's coilovers which i recently read that they have went into liquidation which could probably cause a bigger PITA. Though am guessing they are made by someone else and just rebadged as autodelta??

Does anyone knoe of what costs are involved in refurbing a set of coilovers, wether its worth just doing the leaky one as it might just have had a defect?!? or would it be as well to replace them with KONI or KW ones??

Or even still are they supposed to leak a little over time and probably wont even be causing the knock in first place

sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Hi Jamie, i havent got a clue how much a refurb costs, but I think MattyB had the same coilovers as you and the same thing happened to them IIRC, he ended up just replacing them with KW's.

The AD ones are rebranded Intrax as far as im aware(?), might be worth dropping them an email directly to ask about it Auto veren, schokdempers en schroefsets door Intrax Racing Suspension 'cos you'll get nowhere trying to get AD to do owt.

*dont even know if that website i linked is the proper Intrax that makes the coilies, just first one that came up on google.

:thumbs: :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah bacon to my rescue again,

Thanks for the info but problooks like its going to be an expensive fix :(

Hopefully matty will be along soon

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
They are intrax units. Drop them an email and send for refurb... shouldn't cost too much..

I had the same units and they were very good on mine, no leaks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not sure they are Intrax - don't quote me on it, but I'm sure the £1500 kit is Intrax, the cheaper (£1100) is another make....? Not 100%...

Either way, if you go for a refurb, Jano quoted me £420 + shipping costs to refurb (so lets say approx £500) with an estimated turn around time of 2 weeks, and you may as well get all 4 refurbed at the same time(could just do two on the same axle, but not worth it). The reason I decided against this was for numerous reasons:

Firstly, I couldn't be without my car for that amount of time. Secondly, no garage would do the work and be able to store the car 'unsuspended' for two weeks (assuming no delays) without significant storage costs and hassle on their part as it couldn't be moved off the ramp.

My only other option was to refit the standard suspension, ship coilies off, then refit - but as I couldn't do this myself, it would have been another £200-300 for two lots of fitting and removal at the garage - all in would have added up to ~£800.

What finally tipped it, was the fact that I wasn't happy with my AD coilovers, they were VERY harsh - Jano did say when he drove it after the engine conversion that the springs were too harsh (and was going to swap them for softer ones FOC as part of my refurb as he could use those elsewhere) for something more compliant. However, Pud on here was selling some lightly used KW V2's for the same price as the work above would have cost, so I decided to go with those to save alot of hassle - who knows how long AD would have taken to arrange the refurb? Sold my knackered coilover for £100 as well.

The KW V2 were a *revelation* in comparison - probably not entirely fair, with the dampers being clearly worn on my old coilies, and the spring rates being too harsh - but the ride comfort and compliancy were in another league, I was in love with the car all over again!!

Jamie - if you're happy with the AD coilies as they stand, and you can be without your car, it may be worth chasing the refurb route, as the dampers will come back better than new, for about £500 (plus refitting, if not doing it yourself). I was lucky in my timing for those used KW's, but a new set of KW V2's or something in their quality range are the wrong side of £1000+ fitting.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have emailed balance motorsport and he has replied saying he will investigate further and said he can organise the refurb/service.

But if were talking 5-600 quid i might just get some mediocre coilovers, its not like i will be doing many track days tbh.

Anybody got some KW v2's for sale??? Thought not..

Anyone who with experience of diffent makes of coilovers please give me your feedback.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
If your thinking about spending 5-600 I would just get some FSDs.

I've been running mine now for 40k plus and they are as good as new.

C

·
0 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys.

I have emailed balance motorsport and he has replied saying he will investigate further and said he can organise the refurb/service.

But if were talking 5-600 quid i might just get some mediocre coilovers, its not like i will be doing many track days tbh.

Anybody got some KW v2's for sale??? Thought not..

Anyone who with experience of diffent makes of coilovers please give me your feedback.
[vulture]If you decide to replace them, will you let me know? I'd be interested in buying them as spares/repair. Thanks.[/vulture]

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
When I first tried out Eibach Pro Street S coilovers I thought they were great when wound down but too low for speedbumps etc, and when wound up to an acceptable height they were too hard. We got some different front springs sent to try from Eibach and they totally transformed the ride at an acceptable ride-height setting. #

We do have a set of these that are going to be up for sale soon - if you are interested give Ned a ring on 01582 869 560.

Matty - I wish I never sold those KWs, I'm desperate for a set now and they're like £1300! Gutted :cry: :lol:

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
When I first tried out Eibach Pro Street S coilovers I thought they were great when wound down but too low for speedbumps etc, and when wound up to an acceptable height they were too hard. We got some different front springs sent to try from Eibach and they totally transformed the ride at an acceptable ride-height setting. #

We do have a set of these that are going to be up for sale soon - if you are interested give Ned a ring on 01582 869 560.

Matty - I wish I never sold those KWs, I'm desperate for a set now and they're like £1300! Gutted :cry: :lol:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
does anyone with these AD coilovers have a manual for them at all?

Want to know if mine were set outside their ride height limits when fitted - winding them up by "a fair bit" has all but stopped the knocking i was experiencing, it's much improved and only lightly knocks over small bumps leading me to think the droplinks are shot.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problem now is finding someone who will free up their ramp for up to 2 week :(

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I dont have any temp parts ned? Plus thats twice the labour isn't it?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
I dont have any temp parts ned? Plus thats twice the labour isn't it?
We have temporary parts so if we were doing the job we would fit these so the car can be moved, as it is a temporary solution we would not bolt it all in properly, just enough to free up the ramp

Ned

1 - 20 of 20 Posts