Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, I have a 156 SW 1.6 Twinny.

The variator is rather noisey on start up, lasting about 5 seconds before it quiets down.

I have noticed my engine making noise sometimes, it mainly happens when crawling in first gear up to a junction and the revs just dip below 2k, however today I could faintly hear it doing it in second and once in third gear, always when off throttle and revs dipping below 2k.

The noise is identical to the variator noise in the morning....so is it a case of a well worn variator or something more sinister?

The oil is ok, topped it up with half a litre after 3 weeks and about 450-500miles today so don't think that's the issue? :confused:

When a Variator gets really worn does it get louder in general driving?

Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I got a 2.0 Spider last year and it was bad when hot, rattly especially at idle but shut up at about 2500 rpm. Driving at 40mph in top it would rattle like a good 'un, dip the clutch and rev it and it shut up for a few seconds before returning. Had done 89,000, I think on original variator. Variator, belts etc and oil transformed it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds exactly like my symptoms....hmmm....looks like a early belt, pump, variator then.

Any ideas of cost?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The variator sounds knackered.
But the "rattle" at low revs is something, I think.
Mine's doing the same and have had a very knowledgeable guy take a look at it and he said t'was the belt adjustment wheel (my words, so I'm not calling it by the proper name) that's on it's way out.
Sorry I can't be more help....give Smaky a shout on the other place?

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi mate, i have posted this solution a few times now.

my 2.0 TS had a heavy ticking on startup, then would only get a little better after 15mins or so.
all i did was change the oil and added a bottle of "liqui moly - tappet stop noise" i was shocked that it actually worked. as a previous oil change only didnt solve the problem.

link:
OIL ADDITIVES | LIQUI-MOLY - AUSTRALIA

worth a try before forking out for a new variator, i almost had a heart attack when i got a quote for new variator plus install.
For the moment my 2.0L of italian goodness purrs like a kitten now, apart from when it goes into limp mode, but thats another issue to solve.

hope this helps & good luck.

·
Registered
930 Posts
hi mate, i have posted this solution a few times now.

my 2.0 TS had a heavy ticking on startup, then would only get a little better after 15mins or so.
all i did was change the oil and added a bottle of "liqui moly - tappet stop noise" i was shocked that it actually worked. as a previous oil change only didnt solve the problem.

link:
OIL ADDITIVES | LIQUI-MOLY - AUSTRALIA

worth a try before forking out for a new variator, i almost had a heart attack when i got a quote for new variator plus install.
For the moment my 2.0L of italian goodness purrs like a kitten now, apart from when it goes into limp mode, but thats another issue to solve.

hope this helps & good luck.
Oil additives do all sorts of long term damage to your engine...

You may have already done this, but check out EB Spares in the UK for replacement variators.. you'll find the prices are about a 3rd or less than that of Aussie prices.

Alternative Autos, Autolusso... they are all retailers that supply these parts online with great service and excellent reputations.

I'm at the point now that I just don't consider buying locally. Except for a new windscreen.. :mad:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sounds exactly like my symptoms....hmmm....looks like a early belt, pump, variator then.

Any ideas of cost?
From memory about £270ish in bits, my labour free! You can sometimes get variators cheap(ish) on Ebay, don't think the repair kits worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If it is just your variator, it wont do any damage, just get it changed at your next belt change, mine has been noisey now for a few months, but my Alfa mech told me to just wait. Only noisy on start up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts