Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'ello,

The door handle on my sister's Golf has become detached from the door (not sure how this happened) and she and my brother in law either have to get in Dukes of Hazzard stylee, or by sliding across from the passenger side...

Does any one know the best way to repair this? I've attached some pictures if it helps.

I know with the Mk1 golfs you used to be able to get a blanking plate (for security reasons), does one exist for the driver's side on a 56 registered 4 door golf and would that be a suitable fix?

Cheers all.

Starkers.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
That looks a lot like someone has had a go at it. Is the handle itself broken?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Haven't done one recently but from memory........ VW handles can normally be replaced without removing the door card. Iirc the door catch is released with a short cable attached to the handle. The handle is removed firstly by turning a torx screw behind a grommet on the inside of the door shut to remove the lock, which then just pulls out. The handle then pushes forward slightly and hooks out. Sadly there looks to be a fair bit of damage there so the lock retaining mechanism could well be nacked.It looks like it's been prised out with a screwdriver. In that case replacing it will involve removal of the door card. The whole thing works beautifully when its right but is typically German over engineered and a fiddle to get exactly right. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts