Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've got an MPH speedo in my GTV, does anyone have km/h one they don't need anymore?

All I really need is the clock face.

Thanks !

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Might be a daft question, but, would it have to be re-calibrated..?
If the car's in MPH, would just changing the dials give a true KMPH reading..??:confused:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Might be a daft question, but, would it have to be re-calibrated..?
If the car's in MPH, would just changing the dials give a true KMPH reading..??:confused:
No. The pulse generator ( phase 1 ) is 16 pulses per revolution of the gearbox output shaft and for phase 2 the ABS system gives out a signal which is based on the average of the four road wheels. The calibration is just printing the numbers in the right place on the dial.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
You're on fire tonight Mitch - a moment ago I nearly bought four pedal rubbers, and now this... :lol:

I can't zoom in on the eBay mobile site (on my iPhone) - Is that a ring of red MPH numbers inside the km/h speedo? I've never seen that before! My phase-2 Spider sold new in Japan has km/h only (in white) and my Phase-1 (sold new here in NZ) has a ring of yellow km/h numbers inside the MPH numbers (white). I know it is functional but since we've used only km/h in NZ since 1967 (more than ten years before I was born) it does make the dial seem cluttered and harder to read at a glance.

I wonder if MPH-only speedos exist in England - generally seen on 60's cars here.

The bigger nuisance not fixed by scanning/reprinting the dials is the odometer and trip meter being in miles. If the motorway exit is in 2km, a glance at the odometer isn't so helpful ("hmmm... 86.4 + (0.62 * 2), so that'll be when it says 87.6, then"...) My mileage is recorded on the national computer records as being in kilometres, and when I sell the car, there is likely to be some confusion...

-Alex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts