Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of an I.T type question for the forum.

I have purchased the blue cable with the separate connectors and I am unable to make the software 'talk to' the Engine ECU.

The setup is:
Phase 2 Spider TS (1999)
Windows XP SP2
Fiat ECUScan v3.5
VAG-COM cable + connectors

//
I have successfully reset the airbag (red connector) and viewed the ABS ECU (green) so I know the cables and software function OK.

I am unable to interrogate the Engine ECU (green connector) though.

The port is COM4, the latency timer is 1 and the baud rate is 9600. I don't know what else to check.

I also don't know which Engine ECU I have (I have been trying to connect to all 3 on the list).

Any advice on software settings I need to change to get this working?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
You probably have the M1.5.5 ECU on a '99 TS.

Forgive me if this sounds insulting, but did you put the ignition key to 'MAR'?

Did you try the FiatEcuScan 'Scan' option? That should come back with a list of devices.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably have the M1.5.5 ECU on a '99 TS.

Forgive me if this sounds insulting, but did you put the ignition key to 'MAR'?

Did you try the FiatEcuScan 'Scan' option? That should come back with a list of devices.
Not at all.

MAR = YES
'Scan' - no options returned - will investigate further.

I also tried turning it off and turning it on again ;-)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Try without an adapter ie the blue cable direct into the port
+1, blue cable(VAG-COM/KKL) without adaptor lead plugged directly to diagnostic port for engine ECU diagnostics.

Green adaptor lead - ABS and Power Steering diagnostics.
Red adaptor lead - Airbag diagnostics.
Yellow adaptor lead - to allow CAN diagnostics on newer cars with CAN bus interface.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try without an adapter ie the blue cable direct into the port
Connecting directly with the blue KKL still does not 'find' the engine ECU.

The latency tests on COM3 / COM4 appear to be within tolerances.

How do I check buffer limits?

I have read the printed instructions and the PDF downloaded from the FIAT ECUScan site; I have tested the red cable and visually checked the physical connections within the blue plug.

Yellow is not relevant to my requirements.

With the green connector, 'SCAN' on F11 returns ABS and Climate modules, but no Engine ECU.

What next?

PS

To confirm MAR= ignition circuit ON, AVV = Engine start?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
When you have connected successfully to airbag and ABS ECU then it sounds like your settings in FES is right, check the connection between the diagnostic port/OBD connector (pin 7) and engine ECU.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheer for that - checking for physical errors is next, once I have eliminated software settings as a possible cause.

Trying a separate cable as well.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Is the car a runner or a none runner ? if not, does the engine-related lights light up when you try
to start the car ? if not, maybe the engine ECU is not powering up (a fuse has gone/grounding problems ?).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Car runs fine.

I originally bought the cables for the airbag light, but I want all the functionality.

·
Registered
257 Posts
May be a silly Q, but if you have a 'switched' cable (with 4 small dill switches on the OBD II end) are you flipping switch 1 as per the cable instructions?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May be a silly Q, but if you have a 'switched' cable (with 4 small dill switches on the OBD II end) are you flipping switch 1 as per the cable instructions?
Not a silly question.

I have the other type of cable (red, yellow and green connectors) - I chose this one as there was less capacity for error!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The same problem with GTV phase 2. Help to read the Motor ECU!

Hi tok,

I bought a '98 gtv Phase 2 an year ago and now I have the same problem you have with your spider...:bored:

Did you finally find a solution to connect to the ECU?

Thank you in advance

Bit of an I.T type question for the forum.

I have purchased the blue cable with the separate connectors and I am unable to make the software 'talk to' the Engine ECU.

The setup is:
Phase 2 Spider TS (1999)
Windows XP SP2
Fiat ECUScan v3.5
VAG-COM cable + connectors

//
I have successfully reset the airbag (red connector) and viewed the ABS ECU (green) so I know the cables and software function OK.

I am unable to interrogate the Engine ECU (green connector) though.

The port is COM4, the latency timer is 1 and the baud rate is 9600. I don't know what else to check.

I also don't know which Engine ECU I have (I have been trying to connect to all 3 on the list).

Any advice on software settings I need to change to get this working?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi tok,

I bought a '98 gtv Phase 2 an year ago and now I have the same problem you have with your spider...:bored:

Did you finally find a solution to connect to the ECU?

Thank you in advance
Hi eta_b3ta,

Did you find a solution to this? I basically have the same problem on mind. I can connect to both the Air Bag ECU and ABS ECU using the adapter cables, but for some reason i can not connect to the Engine ECU. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts