Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to redo the kitchen in my (rented) apartment.

Landlord will pay for appliances, worksurface and doors
but not to replace the shabby units. :)rolleyes: )

Anyway I want to re-org the layout which is pants.
So I may stump up anyway as they are a bit minging.

Hygena: Anygood? Cheap?

Other alternatives?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Son-in-Law just re-vamped his. Neff ovens Etc. Ceramic hob, and some sort of speckled granite work surfaces, with the floor done in those clay tiles in a matt finish.

Don't really like it, as the missus says it's a nightmare to keep clean, and it's all hard surfaces and feels all cold like a mortuary :D.

The sink, granite draining board, stainless bowls, and the tap appliances well, are like some sort of multi-attachment power washer, with a flexible steel convoluted hose, and at least three types of taps, that pull, twist,push and turn, and generally end up with me spraying water everywhere when I try to work them, trying to rinse my cup out! Keep it plain and cosy we think, being of a certain age.:lol:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking along the "cheap and functional" lines, ZF. ;)

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ikea? I fitted my kitchen myself with a kitchen from there and was extremely impressed with it. Carcases are certainly no worse than those used by Magnet and Moben, but are massively cheaper. You can then spend as much or as little as you like on the bits that show - I actually went with solid oak, and it was still extremely cheap. Do you have Ikea down there?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ikea? I fitted my kitchen myself with a kitchen from there and was extremely impressed with it. Carcases are certainly no worse than those used by Magnet and Moben, but are massively cheaper. You can then spend as much or as little as you like on the bits that show - I actually went with solid oak, and it was still extremely cheap. Do you have Ikea down there?
yes there is an Ikea but
I fitted my kitchen myself
that has put me off them. ;)

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont know if they are in france but if you can set up a howdens trade account. (anyone can ;) ) then they do cheap carcass units, while at the same time are good quality (for flat plack)

howdens joinery

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, 3 layers of wall paper and a couple of coats
of paint have now been stripped. Bare plaster everywhere.

Maybe time to actually order a kitchen.....?

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
dont know if they are in france but if you can set up a howdens trade account. (anyone can ;) ) then they do cheap carcass units, while at the same time are good quality (for flat plack)

howdens joinery
Yup :thumbs:

Used them twice (last house and current house). They are owned by MFI or were, so they stock all the cat goods but obvioulsy at trade prices. They are even delivered all built which makes fitting a lot easier (and cheaper if you're gonna get someone else to fit it for you)

The cuboards are all solid units (not chipboard). Quality is great.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So hob extractor/filters that vent into the kitchen and not outside:

Useless waste of space or do they really work?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Yup :thumbs:

Used them twice (last house and current house). They are owned by MFI or were, so they stock all the cat goods but obvioulsy at trade prices. They are even delivered all built which makes fitting a lot easier (and cheaper if you're gonna get someone else to fit it for you)

The cuboards are all solid units (not chipboard). Quality is great.

We too have a trade account at Howdens, the discount we are able to get off the list prices is massive.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All signed up with Hygena yesterday.

The sales girls was extremely cute. Which was kind of
the deciding factor. :)

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No room for a dishwasher, ZF.

So another question for everyone:

Do you do the backsplash tiling before or
after the countertop is fitted?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
No room for a dishwasher, ZF.

So another question for everyone:

Do you do the backsplash tiling before or
after the countertop is fitted?
Unless you are going to tile every wall from top to bottom, then leave the splashback tiling until the end. Obviously the walls have to be nice and even, and the work surfaces level. Are you doing all the work yourself Nev? My mate who is a builder does a fantastic job on kitchens and bathrooms, with the finishing (sealing splashbacks and all that), so much better than I can, so you may want to ask a pro to do it if you can.
We still have the Hygena cupboards which I fitted seventeen years ago, and they are still all in line, and function well. If I changed then I would buy from them again.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
What Andyalfagtv said. Splashback tiles after work surface fitment, then a 'seal off' along the final run of tiles with a silicone waterproof anti-mould sealer? Get on a 'DIY' info site, which should give you a good idea of how to plan the tiling, layout and so on. Some have 'nibs' so that the spacing is uniform to get nice and even grout lines. Not done any for years now, but it's just planning and patience really, if you do decide the DIY route.:):

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool. Thanks guys, I think I will get someone who knows
what they're doing for the tiling too.

;-)

1 - 20 of 95 Posts