Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's very hard to watch them closely as they woosh past without crashing the car, but I could swear the windscreen wipers on the GTA are bendy. Am I right? And if so, does it make getting replacements for them problematic?

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
What do you mean by bendy? As far as I know they're fairly straight! What speeds were you doing??? :eek: :eek: ;)

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The blade assembly itself, as attached to the end of the wiper arm, has a curve to it.

H

·
0 Posts
Not as daft a question as it sounds actually.

The wipers on my Punto aren't like standard blades they have no main holder and are very flexible.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Sounds the same as the 147. Not had to replace any, but I doubt that it'll be problematic - more likely just expensive. :)

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't be surprised to find that most have standard Bosch type blades on instead. The fixing point seems standard, so I guess most people don't bother to stick to OE.
BTW, the curve I'm talking about is at 90 degrees to the screen, they're not those weird new-fangled floppy Bosch blades.
Imagine a standard wiper blade, you're looking down on it towards the screen, so it's just a straight line from your viewpoint, now bend it up a little at each end, so it's a smiley mouth - that's my wiper blades.

V

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to find that most have standard Bosch type blades on instead. The fixing point seems standard, so I guess most people don't bother to stick to OE.
BTW, the curve I'm talking about is at 90 degrees to the screen, they're not those weird new-fangled floppy Bosch blades.
Imagine a standard wiper blade, you're looking down on it towards the screen, so it's just a straight line from your viewpoint, now bend it up a little at each end, so it's a smiley mouth - that's my wiper blades.

I think you should be watching the road :lol: not if your blades smile at you ;)

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
There is quite a bit of tech stuff on setting wipers up correctly, believe it or not. Contact area, arm to screen angle, was it Shreiber or someone had a tech bulletin on it some time past? If someone has yanked 'Em, vandal like, they need sorting out.

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They look like they/'re ment to be like this, and they work perfectly well.

T

·
0 Posts
They look like they/'re ment to be like this, and they work perfectly well.
looks can be deceiving and you wonder how did they do that.

but from the way you described it i was expecting you to say there was no contact on the edges or even worse the middle

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yeah, I've seen the bendy ones too.
You can buy them off fleabay - and they work.
BUT not for the GTV.

I bought some for my wife's car and theyre great! They make the blades look all streamlined, taking away the metal frames.

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Treborblack: No, it's not bending away from the screen at all, the bend is perpendicular to the screen.

GeeTeeVee: NO! They're not those new Bosch types! They just have a slight curve in the wiper assembly.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some blades, like the ones I used to have on my old volvo and I've also seen on BMWs are curved so that they get a better contact with the glass.
That must be it.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Not as daft a question as it sounds actually.

The wipers on my Punto aren't like standard blades they have no main holder and are very flexible.
You probably have Bosch Aerotwins then mate, fantastic wipers.

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am vindicated!
Check out www.wiperblades.co.uk and do a search for the Alfa 156, among the list of available models, you will see several marked as something along the lines of 'SPECIFIC FIT for Alfa 156 with CURVED BLADE' :p :D

They also do upgrade fits to Bosch Aerotwin type wipers though, and since mine are squeaking a bit, I think I might invest in these. Everyone I've heard talking about the aerotwins says they're fantastic. Mind you, Valeo also do an aerotwin type now, and I've found their product to be far superior to Bosch equivalents in the past...

OK, it's done, I've gone for the Valeo flat blade upgrade. So, despite winning (in my opinion anyway!) the argument about curved blades, I will soon not have them. Or at least, I will, but curved towards the screen, not perpendicularly to it.

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Let me know how you get on with them Bazza, mine are starting to get a bit ropey now aswell.

·
Administrator
46,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do. Looking at their delivery process, if I'm lucky I might even get them tomorrow, if not then should be Monday, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for the update.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts