Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went for a drive to Riebeek Kasteel on Sunday +/- 100 km round trip(140-160km/h) and to somerset +/- 100km on Monday (120-140km/h) and some town driving in between and the Gt aver. 12.9 not bad as all the roads were loaded with hills

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Is that according to the trip computer, or according to a brimmed tank to brimmed tank calculation?

On the 156, the trip computer is usually somewhat optimistic. In town it displays 8.0 to 8.2 kilometres per liter, but the actual consumption is closer to 7.8 or so.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
I can't really comment on this these days as I do about roughly 3000-4000km a month with 2 cars, the GTV 3.0 and the GQV...with both I don't know what I'm doing as I'm usually a low flying aircraft doing between 120-180kph on my autobahn when safety surroundings permit.

I usually measure my trips in Rands... I know in the GTV a 300km round trip to JHB and back will cost a nice R350 top up of 95 - same too for the GQV. I fly there, fly back and the R350 is gone. I do this about twice a week excl weekends. Thus I always say to people, nevermind the distance or the petrol price, drive a car you like to drive and it will all seem insignificant.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Thus I always say to people, nevermind the distance or the petrol price, drive a car you like to drive and it will all seem insignificant.
I agree on the "drive it how you like to drive it".
I mean, if I never took it above 3000rpm, I'd get, if I'm very lucky, maybe 9km/l in town - maybe.
That's about a 15% saving, maximum. So at current prices, for 1 000km of town driving per month, that works out to a saving of about R300.
I pay more than that for stuff I enjoy much less than hearing the Busso at full chat.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Are you sure the 12.9 is not perhaps l/100km and not km/l?:lol:
12.9l/100km sounds about right for the driving you have described.
If it really is 12.9km/l then that is very very good for that type of driving. Too good in fact.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Are you sure the 12.9 is not perhaps l/100km and not km/l?:lol:
12.9l/100km sounds about right for the driving you have described.
If it really is 12.9km/l then that is very very good for that type of driving. Too good in fact.
I dunno so much. My JTDm still does about 6.7-7.2l/100km on the highway doing 140-160kph.
Consumption in town rarely does over 7.5l/100 and best I ever got was 4.8l/100 with the cruise set to 110kph on a long flat highway.

I'd have a heart attack if it returned 12.9l/100

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry it is 12.9km per liter, but the tuning box is back on, i drove to Somerset today trough Stellie's, trafic was crazy so never used the turbo changed under 2000rpm and we never got over 100km /h crazy saw it coming so i slowed down to a panic and the trip computer(i cleared and filled up before i left) read 21km/l :cheese: when i stopped in Somerset needle hardly moved

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I can't really comment on this these days as I do about roughly 3000-4000km a month with 2 cars, the GTV 3.0 and the GQV...with both I don't know what I'm doing as I'm usually a low flying aircraft doing between 120-180kph on my autobahn when safety surroundings permit.

I usually measure my trips in Rands... I know in the GTV a 300km round trip to JHB and back will cost a nice R350 top up of 95 - same too for the GQV. I fly there, fly back and the R350 is gone. I do this about twice a week excl weekends. Thus I always say to people, nevermind the distance or the petrol price, drive a car you like to drive and it will all seem insignificant.
You're doing it wrong! It's supposed to be R1000 per tank and 400km per R1000! R350 for 300km??? In a GTV??? :cheese:

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Honestly!

The GTV is hella economical in 6th gear nursed! even at 150-160 its a beast in the tank!

Take it like this. KBY is 700odd km from Secunda...I fill up the 60l tank of the GTV and force a little more in so let's say 9l more...

I cruise to KBY in 6hrs doing between 120-150kph on certain stretches. When I arrive in KBY the GTV's tank is just over a quater...

that's impeccable, that's a news story!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
We have more air down here. More air means more fuel needs to burn to keep the ratios correct. My GTV will never get more than 500km on a tank. Every overtaking move is a gear down to 3rd, spot the gap, wind up to 7500rpm and repeat 3 more times... just for the sound! I only stop accelerating when I am forces to by traffic or road conditions. On occasion I kept accelerating even after spotting a cop in the bushes because I couldn't be arsed about a fine!

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
7500rpm...tell me more!
I fly on open roads! No front plate FTW!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
7500rpm...tell me more!
I fly on open roads! No front plate FTW!
My car has been :cough-cough: electronically and mechanically tuned :cough-cough:... :thumbs:

at 7500rpm it still puts out more power than a GTA at max. power... Shhhh...

have a look at some of the acceleration vids I posted where I change gears. A shade over 7500rpm... :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts