Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member just redid the the sound system in both his 2014 Ford Ranger XLS and his son's Chev Utility.

I decided that I would first upgrade the front splits before investigating upgrading the rest. Well I took it to Alarming Bass in Pretoria East and it took them a little over an hour to do both doors. I took it to them since a)they had done a great job of the above vehicles and b) they had mentioned that they had worked on a Giulietta before and thus knew the vehicle.

So while the splits were being installed I was discussing my idea of upgrading the rest of the system (including ordering a facia that could accommodate a double DIN unit). I then realised that I would lose certain little features that I currently have as well as spending a small fortune (the facia alone is 200 GBP without shipping). The guy doing the install then recommended keeping the OEM HU and instead putting an EQ in between the HU and the amp.

Once the splits were installed it became obvious that the HU was the weak point. With the stock speakers or the JBL GTOs that I installed the volume limit (before there was distortion) was 30. So its now become a simple case of to get better sound I need to install an amp.
Thankfully I have the sub (a JBL 12-inch).
On Monday I should have the pricing and then when I am back from my business trip this week the G will go in for a day of work. Should take them half a Saturday but then once its done it should sound excellent.

I will post pics once the job is complete.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Awesome keep us posted and remember the pics! I love JBL speakers heheh got a bunch on JBL sound in my cupboard waiting to go i my brera and i got half of the other load in my van already. I only got amped JBL P660 splits in my vans doors. Properly sealed and silent coated and the absolutely rock! Proper midbass and the tweeters just sing without ear piercing sharpness. Still need to throw in my 12 inch GTO sub there...

How are you finding the gto splits? Some people moan the tweeters are too sharp but ive never heard then before. At that time i was considering gto 608 speakers. I suppose you now have the new 609s with the 3ohm impedance. They certainly look impressive.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome keep us posted and remember the pics! I love JBL speakers heheh got a bunch on JBL sound in my cupboard waiting to go i my brera and i got half of the other load in my van already. I only got amped JBL P660 splits in my vans doors. Properly sealed and silent coated and the absolutely rock! Proper midbass and the tweeters just sing without ear piercing sharpness. Still need to throw in my 12 inch GTO sub there...

How are you finding the gto splits? Some people moan the tweeters are too sharp but ive never heard then before. At that time i was considering gto 608 speakers. I suppose you now have the new 609s with the 3ohm impedance. They certainly look impressive.

I got the GTO 608Cs at a very good price and they are 4ohm impedance. My uncle managed to grab a set of the 609s and SWEET HEAVEN are they breath taking and they look so sexy.

Even off the HU I do find the tweeters to be a bit sharp but the EQ should reign them in a bit.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Yeah eq will sort that right out for you. Those gtos will really come alive when you feed them some power. Youll see. On a side note. Just make sure. Im pretty sure the 608 is 2ohm?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts

Got this from the JBL website now. Seems they are 2ohm. Just keep that in mind when amping...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Also you can press the -6db cut button on the crossover for the tweeters. Jbl knows some of their clientell prefer the tweeters toned down a bit. Hence the -6db cut button.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Got this from the JBL website now. Seems they are 2ohm. Just keep that in mind when amping...

Also you can press the -6db cut button on the crossover for the tweeters. Jbl knows some of their clientell prefer the tweeters toned down a bit. Hence the -6db cut button.

The guys who are doing the install will make sure to do it properly. We won't be touching the cut button since the EQ is just a week away, not work taking the doors apart again.

The sub is a JBL GT5-12D

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
ai ai ai.. EQ's grrrrrrrr.... please note that this is my opinion use if if you like.

firstly i cant see any feature you would lose if its the older G and not he one with U connect. steering integration bluetooth and even nav are not that difficult.

EQ's are a last resort and usually are there to mask poor head units or poor installations.. competition is thee exception. unless you have an RTA and an oscilloscope your adding more kak then you are ready for. one clipped frequency and goodbye split or woofer.

if you really want an EQ, get one intergrated into the amplifier. a separate EQ will increase the voltage amplifying a clipped signal. the Alfa head unit clips from about 28 on the volume so i wold set my gains at the 22 mark to allow for additional headroom.

im sure you know the G is not really well built so additional deadening is a must and obviously mounted on wooden baffles which im sure they did for you already. The JBL tweeter is harsh so attenuate it while you burn them in.. after a month you can change the jumper a little higher.

Reactions: alfanatic2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts