Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad, Dad we'll fit in the back no problem just buy it! This was my Alfa Brera, turns out they did fit in the back but only if Mum was left at home and the passenger seat squished all the way forward.

And so, a little black 159 TBi Lusso saloon turns up on my Autotrader saved searches. I was looking for a TBi Ti but finding one with a reasonable price with a reasonable mileage was impossible. Had a look at the TBi Lusso, what's not to like! A previous owner who clearly loved the wee car, bang on 30k miles, in tip top condition. Best bit was the dealer took a shine to my Brera 2.2 JTS and offered a trivial amount of money to change.

The TBi engine is leagues ahead of the JTS and I enjoyed the old 2.2 unit (I may have been alone in that but some subtle mods made it pretty good!) The TBi has a great spread of power although still has the old school gear change, not to be rushed.

I am delighted with the Lusso, it is completely rattle free ( a quick whizz round all interior trims with lashings of 'pledge' and a paintbrush to push it into any trim interface points made sure of that) and it's reasonably quick. Ti suspension might be better but I get the feeling my wishbones and ball joints are going to last a lot longer with the more compliant set up.

My only complaint is the media system the run-out cars were quipped with, it's awful. I wonder if it's possible to retro fit the old style jukebox??

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi, out of curiosity what mods had you made to your 2.2 Brera? I have one and have looked at the Celtic Tuning remap but not sure if there are other routes that would be better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dad, Dad we'll fit in the back no problem just buy it! This was my Alfa Brera, turns out they did fit in the back but only if Mum was left at home and the passenger seat squished all the way forward.
Sounds very familiar!!!! Recently got myself a Brera and they do fit in the back with a bit of juggling around.. eldest has to sit behind the front passenger, youngest behind me - I have to pull the seat forward a fair bit through so feels a bit cramped. Thankfully its not the main car they get ferried about in so they are in there infrequently and drives should be shortish when they do need to sit in the back.

I was tentatively thinking about changing already... (only 3 weeks into ownership!!!) then just decided to enjoy the car until it becomes a bigger problem. Really don't want to sell this car loving the growl of the V6 engine and the traction of Q4....

Still on the positive side hoping that the value will hold on the V6 Q4 Breras... Got it for a great price (it does have some marks on the bodywork here and there) but these can be easily sorted out. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, out of curiosity what mods had you made to your 2.2 Brera? I have one and have looked at the Celtic Tuning remap but not sure if there are other routes that would be better.
I had the centre resonator removed at Pipe Dynamics in Leven. Sounds like an easy job but the back boxes are stopped from moving back by the rear bumper! After a bit of jiggling PD sorted it out without removing the bumper, cost £80. I also replaced the standard air filter with a sports one from Alfisti (I think, can't remember circa £40) and much of the hesitation was gone, it sounded a bit better but revved into the red and was a much more agreeable car.

I looked a remap but it was tricky to have done properly and the only place was miles away. Not sure if the Celtic tuning map is good or not.

If I had my time again, I'd do exactly the same and not bother with the remap. If I still had the car, I'd definitely have had PD pop new back boxes on as well just to get a fruitier sound.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds very familiar!!!! Recently got myself a Brera and they do fit in the back with a bit of juggling around.. eldest has to sit behind the front passenger, youngest behind me - I have to pull the seat forward a fair bit through so feels a bit cramped. Thankfully its not the main car they get ferried about in so they are in there infrequently and drives should be shortish when they do need to sit in the back.

I was tentatively thinking about changing already... (only 3 weeks into ownership!!!) then just decided to enjoy the car until it becomes a bigger problem. Really don't want to sell this car loving the growl of the V6 engine and the traction of Q4....

Still on the positive side hoping that the value will hold on the V6 Q4 Breras... Got it for a great price (it does have some marks on the bodywork here and there) but these can be easily sorted out. :)
My Brera had a damaged sill and a poor respray to the door, Chris Woc at Lochty (Perth) did a phenomenal job of sorting out both. The finish was superb and he took the time to remove all trim, he is dead against masking off areas. Bit far from you in Yorkshire but I thoroughly recommend him for anybody local.

·
Registered
127 Posts

And so, a little black 159 TBi Lusso saloon turns up on my Autotrader saved searches. I was looking for a TBi Ti but finding one with a reasonable price with a reasonable mileage was impossible. Had a look at the TBi Lusso, what's not to like! A previous owner who clearly loved the wee car, bang on 30k miles, in tip top condition. Best bit was the dealer took a shine to my Brera 2.2 JTS and offered a trivial amount of money to change.

The TBi engine is leagues ahead of the JTS and I enjoyed the old 2.2 unit (I may have been alone in that but some subtle mods made it pretty good!) The TBi has a great spread of power although still has the old school gear change, not to be rushed.

I am delighted with the Lusso, it is completely rattle free ( a quick whizz round all interior trims with lashings of 'pledge' and a paintbrush to push it into any trim interface points made sure of that) and it's reasonably quick. Ti suspension might be better but I get the feeling my wishbones and ball joints are going to last a lot longer with the more compliant set up.

My only complaint is the media system the run-out cars were quipped with, it's awful. I wonder if it's possible to retro fit the old style jukebox??
Never ever buy or even think of buying a Brera if you expect transporting kids or other people in the back in it. The space in the back is RIDICULOUS. They put 2 nice seats in the back just for the looks so that it looks nice. If you ask me, they would never have bothered to put two seats in the back as they are completely useless :rofl:

Glad to hear you bought a 159 in the TI trim. Very good choice :rofl:

·
Registered
6 Posts

Sorry for hijacking your post fella, but I see your from the Glasgow area and I was wondering if you have any idea of anybody that could change the timing belt on my mito?? I did ask on the forum but so far no replies.

Thanks
Charlie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m up in Perthshire so not sure who’s available in Glasgow. Take a day trip up to Dundee and go to C & P Garage, Euan knows his stuff so you’d have no dramas there!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts