Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

The young un has bounced her contract mobile and the screen is goosed. It's also starting to screw up in other ways. I don't know the detail, but it's useless and stupid and OMG and Jesus. We're just over a year into a 2 yr contract (never again).

The insurance that comes with the phone (which I thought was a clincher at the time) has a hefty excess. I dunno, maybe I didn't think this through, or maybe I thought people wouldn't bounce their phones around. Apparently it landed on soft grass and cracked.

Anyhoo......the daily grind of useless, Jesus and OMG is wearing me down as it's intended to. I'm wondering if sticking the SIM into an unlocked cheapo smartphone might sort things out for a while.

Is this feasible, oh tech-Lords?

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
It'll work, for sure...........whether it destroys your daughter's life for, like, forever as she is seen to have a cheapo phone is of course a burden that you may have to carry.

In recent years, I've only had SIM-only contracts, and bought second-hand phones off ebay - just make sure they are unlocked to all networks - or locked to the network you have the SIM for.....

But I'm not a tech-Lord......;)

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
The Wikos do everything an expensive
phone does. Except it's 1/10th the price.

Only reason I switched to another model was
mine wasn't supported by my FemtoCell for some
reason.

Doesn't want one?

A week or two without a phone will
fix that.

;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
She'll have to do without then wont she, nly one way to learn the value of things.

I wouldn't replace it.

You parent she child

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
She'll have to do without then wont she, nly one way to learn the value of things.

I wouldn't replace it.

You parent she child
:thumbs: maybe a lesson will be learnt in how you need to look after your property. You must have hard grass up north.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Vodafone Smart 4 does everything you need for £50 + £10 top up. As a phone it is better than my Apple thingy, which is actually a **** poor phone. If it doesn't meet the trendy stakes, she can buy something more flash herself. If her friends won't speak to her because of her gash phone, they aren't friends. Valuable lesson learned.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Perhaps a bit late, but I get my phones second hand from CeX (computer exchange). There's shops in Darlington and Stockton and all-over. You get to see it first before buying and you get a warranty.

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts

I wouldn't replace it.

You parent she child
This is how I plan on doing it in ~10 years time, whether its that easy when the time comes or not remains to be seen.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
If they break beyond repair in my house they are replaced from the box of shame with an ancient Samsung slidey thing. If they want to buy their own replacement they are more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
77,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
we've agreed she sticks with what she has

if at birthday she gets cash off relatives then she can sort herself out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts