Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Well stung?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
34,789 Posts
Ive heard exactly the same from an after-sales guy who's an aquaintance. He said after a couple of drinks that you buy it run it until the warranty is out and throw it away because they're junk. (Less polite words used) Peter Schreyer is like royalty in Korea for what he's done for Kia. Not bad for a company that started out by buying up the old Cortina tooling and getting Giugiaro to restyle it!

·
Registered
34,789 Posts
VAG was saved by Giugiaro too doing them the Golf . And then they bought it to stop them working for the Chinese. He can't use his own name now on car projects.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ive heard exactly the same from an after-sales guy who's an aquaintance. He said after a couple of drinks that you buy it run it until the warranty is out and throw it away because they're junk. (Less polite words used) Peter Schreyer is like royalty in Korea for what he's done for Kia. Not bad for a company that started out by buying up the old Cortina tooling and getting Giugiaro to restyle it!
they are commodities. truly white goods. that said it fills an important hole for lots of buyers in the uk, and kudos for that, there's nothing wrong with that.

my beef is this particular model. We are led to believe that its something amazing when its not, simply because its so different to what they have done before, yet people throw the 'haters' or 'badge snob' line at you for pointing it out, or say if XXX maker had done it you wouldn't be saying that.

It takes away from the Hyundai i30N somewhat which is a really cracking car, way overpriced imo (and imo to ever take many buyers from the other hot hatch makers) but very well done on all levels and shows what can be done. The stinger is a meme, pure and simple. the name itself is a dead giveaway for that...

·
Registered
34,789 Posts
The Stinger is a Charger/Mustang competitor in the US but a car Kia customers here can see in tv ads and on the forecourt to feel they associate with..

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Cool to seriously uncool in 5 seconds

I think it's quite cool as I only saw my first one on the road last week.

However, I do think the materials lack quality for longevity (that's true of most cars these days) and when they become common enough to have bad drivers (ignorant, uncourteous or simply those with zero ability) behind the wheel then the rating drops.

The level of technology in luxury cars these days also means they are environmentally unfriendly judging by the ever growing number of cars where parts supply is only supported for 5 years. In that respect, I think we will catch up with the Netherlands where expensive cars are virtually looked down upon. It took me years to understand that emerging attitude. It appears to be environmentally driven and that means the Stinger will become seriously uncool in just a few years which is a shame but indicative of the non enthusiast social climate and heralds entry to the new distopian world order.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have to admit I cant bring myself to dislike this design. But hey! It´s still a KIA - Probably takes a generation or two to get into the cool scale…

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
I’m going cool. It’s like a Giulia QF ‘lite’.

It could be the Impreza (sp?) of its time, during that golden hour when the Impreza was cool, before it became Uncool. But it won’t sell in anything like the same numbers so it may well stay cool.

But it will be very interesting to note if you see any on the roads five years from now.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts

·
Registered
14,880 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,879 Posts
There is something pleasing earthy and unpretentious about them that’s rather refreshing. You’re buying a good car, rather than a good badge (not saying Kia’s a bad badge, but it’s not premium even if the product’s ability is reported to be.)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts