Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, i've read through all the threads about getting hold of spare keys and i just wanted to summarise what i think i've learnt. Could someone reply and confirm this or otherwise?

The only way to get a new key that will unlock the doors, disarm the alarm and start the car is to go direct to Alfa. Second hand fobs with new blades that have been programmed to the car will open the doors and turn the alarm off but not start the engine.

Is that right?

Cheers!

Paul

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sort of right :)

The only way to get a new key that will unlock the doors, disarm the alarm and start the car is to go direct to Alfa.
That will definitely work.

Second hand fobs with new blades that have been programmed to the car will open the doors and turn the alarm off but not start the engine.
A second-hand fob needs to be coded to the car (just like the new Alfa one). You will need a new blade cutting to match your current key in order to start the car (ignition lock) and manually open the locks.

When you take into account the hassle of a new blade and cutting then you may as well get a key straight from Alfa IMO. You may find an independent that will code the key to your car cheaper than Alfa though.

BTW, have you lost your other key or is it broken?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris.
My understanding is that the key fob has an imobiliser chip in it which can't be reprogrammed to get the engine to start, even by Alfa. The alarm and remote locking bit can be programmed but not the imobiliser.

My car only came with one key, i'd like to have a spare just in case!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hi Chris.
My understanding is that the key fob has an imobiliser chip in it which can't be reprogrammed to get the engine to start, even by Alfa. The alarm and remote locking bit can be programmed but not the imobiliser.

My car only came with one key, I'd like to have a spare just in case!
I`m not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure they can be recoded to the car by Alfa, or a suitable independent.

armoore seems to have the right idea :)

(terrible site though, looks like their cousin's son did it for a fiver!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rockhopper - what you say about 2nd hand key fobs is EXACTLY right.

A 2ND HAND EBAY KEY CAN BE PROGRAMMED TO OPERATE THE ALARM/C. LOCKING - BUT WILL NEVER EVER START THE ENGINE.

the above comment about the 146 key is true - they could be cloned easily on the high street - but Alfa's from this era (145, early GTv's 146 155) used Code 1 immobilisers. Alfa now uses Code 2 immobilisers which change each time they are used - the ONLY way to acquire the necessary codes is to buy a new key from a dealer.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that Mr Flemming. Looks like a trip to the Alfa dealer is on the cards then!

One more question if i may, if i loose my only key do i have to replace the ECU (as in the Honda HISS system) or can a new key from Alfa be made to work?

Paul

·
Registered
69 Posts
so far as I'm aware there would be no need to replace the ecu............ the dealer would just order a new key for that VIN.

however, getting the car to the dealer to get it coded might be a problem!............... and even if it the doors were open.................. turning on the ign. might also be a prob!!

i'd get a spare key asap if I were you!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i have the same prob, bought the car assuming 2nd key would be £120 max.
boy was i wrong!
my only key, after 1 week is already playing up and i cant get a new one until i have my v5(six weeks?)
sometimes the light doesnt come on(on key)
sometimes the car simply does not see the key.(70% of the time) which is scary - its the only key!

i have taken to using the key manually, this does not activate the alarm though...

·
Registered
216 Posts
The car I'm looking to buy has a 2nd key that wouldn't turn off the immobiliser but would open the doors. The dealer said they had to get a new card??? for the car and have the 2nd key added to the cars ecu. They said it wasn't expensive.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got of the phone to Beechdale who are my local Alfa main dealer.

The new key will be £99, the code card is £9.99 and the labour is £38 (all plus VAT). He did agree to knock 15% off for me though!

They confirmed that a second hand Ebay key fob will not start the engine, a new key from Alfa is the only way.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
i have the same prob, bought the car assuming 2nd key would be £120 max.
boy was i wrong!
my only key, after 1 week is already playing up and i cant get a new one until i have my v5(six weeks?)
sometimes the light doesnt come on(on key)
sometimes the car simply does not see the key.(70% of the time) which is scary - its the only key!

i have taken to using the key manually, this does not activate the alarm though...
Sent you a pm, mate. May be able to help you.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rockhopper or anyone else for that matter, post your experience with these guys (if you eventually use them).

Web site sounds promising.

I emailed them on Sunday - no reply as yet so I've ordered the real thing direct from Alfa.

As the whether they can help you or not depends on the age of your car. My 2001 car uses a Crypto 2 system for the imobiliser which can not be copied as it uses a rolling code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an Alfa 147 (2003) and 1 of the keys just stopped working for no explicable reason. Hasn't been dropped or otherwise mistreated.
I changed the battery thinking this would cure it but still none of the buttons seem to get any response.
I have opened the key and checked the connections are OK and the switches are all working OK, in fact the circuit board looks as good as new, but there is still no response from the car.
The other key is still working fine.
Can anyone suggest what the problem might be and what would be the best way to rectify this?

Thanks... Dave...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would say best bet in getting keys is just to get them done by alfa.

However, in this thread I read mentions of alarm working, but not immobiliser. If you go here they can remove the immobiliser from the ecu, but leave the alarm intact. If anyone is interested, contact via that website, and tell them you know someone from DF who sent you there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts