Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whose fucking silly idea was that?

1. It's opened the door to a Hi-Tech version of hot-wiring which had long since stopped.
2. It saves no time at all.
3. It's really annoying because, after 30 years of starting cars with keys, I get in the car with keys in my hand. I then have to put them in my pocket whilst sat down. Because I'm sat down,this doesn't really work and they fall out.
4. You still have to turn the car off because otherwise the ******* thing won't lock.

As a footnote, I recently read a piece by a motoring journo who agrees. He had to drive somewhere in a keyless car to meet someone and swap vehicles. He only realised that he still had the key when he was 200 miles away.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Top rantage. In my Mercedes hire car, you climb in, open a plastic lid, drop the key in what the cupholders (?), close the lid, and press a button to "start". Would be easier to insert a key and turn.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does seem that the swear filter is fooled by swearing.

·
Registered
32,279 Posts
The ignition key barrel on the steering column was a good place to put the key but it was one of the hardest metallic bits on the interior, right next to your knee. There’s a limit to how much padding you can put between it and your femur. Hence the key barrel had to go. But what’s wrong with a slot in a different place? Not a cup holder or other compartment.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've had Renaults with keyless entry & start for 15 years. Love it!

In answer to Keithyboy's points:

1. Who's going to nick a Renault Scenic? In any case, the key doesn't have the range to relay to the car.
2. Does. Because you don't have to ferret in bag or pockets for the car key
3. But the key doesn't need to be in your hand in the first place. It's in your pocket (or bag)
4. Just pust the button. Like I do with the Brera. Except I don't leave the key in the slot (like I do with the Brera 'cos it turns the radio off then rather than when you remove the key)

We all know motoring journos are morons. The story I heard was the journo drove off with out the key (In a Renault IIRC). Except they beep and display a message if the key is outside the car.

My only reservation is the "lock when you walk away" feature. Which this one doesn't always do.

·
Super Moderator
44,939 Posts
In any case, the key doesn't have the range to relay to the car.
This is exactly what the theft method changes - they boost the signal from the key so that it does reach the car when it shouldn't, and that allows them to just drive it away.

You can find CCTV video on youtube of the thieves just wondering around the outside of the house with a laptop trying to pick up the key signal.

·
Registered
13,636 Posts
My CLA is remote entry keyless ignition. It took me a few months to just put the key in my pocket once in the car.
I did remove the push button start at one point and then you insert key fob into the slot. A bit like my 159 but unlike the 159 you still turned it.
On all (as far as I know) modern Mercs you can remove the start button and use the fob.

After I have been in one of my other cars it is a bit of a faff as is remembering to apply the handbrake! In my Merc you do need to press a button but if you leave the car by any door the handbrake is applied automatically.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
Bar a knife and fork, there isnt much that’s simpler to use than a key, or less ambiguous over whether it has done its job or not at the point of use.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can find CCTV video on youtube of the thieves just wondering around the outside of the house with a laptop trying to pick up the key signal.
That's my point. The key doesn't transmit a strong enough signal to be picked up outside the house

·
Super Moderator
44,939 Posts
Fair enough. How do you know though?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Fair enough. How do you know though?
If I've got to be within 3 feet of the car, then when it's at least 15 feet from an external door or 2 brickwalls between the keey & outside, I'm pretty confident. If I had a more desirable car then I'd install a tracker

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I was getting a ride in my dad's car the other day. We had been driving for about an hour, with no stops. It was cold outside so no windows had been opened. Suddenly, the car's dash starts displaying a message that "the key has left the vehicle." So, the smart computer, which can tell when the windows go down and when the doors open and when the car is running, can't figure out that the windows and doors never opened, that the car never stopped, and therefore, outside of magic or teleportation or divine intervention, there was no possible way the key could have exited the car. That's such an improvement over sticking a key in a slot!

·
Super Moderator
44,939 Posts
I'm quite pleased that the 'alpha' thing has gone to be honest. It was a pain more than a help. I think it only got added as a joke, but then never taked away again.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts